• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Erik Timmerman: With a name like "Ripstick," you have certain expectations. Ripstick Black Edition? I was expecting giant race ski performance. I was expecting it to match its SR-71 looks with transcontinental record-breaking speed. It's a great ski, but it's not that ski. What it does do is make everything easy for you. It is really smooth with a giant, almost clown-shoe tip that pulls you right into your turn. It has quite a pintail so you will never be trapped in that turn. I skied it down a trail during snowmaking, and it wanted to carve through the thick, sticky piles and let me play on the whales. Despite its badass looks, it is a sweetheart. It doesn't have a lot of power -- it's not a 10/10th ski. It was also sweet, blessed relief for my knees after skiing the equally wide Mantras. I liked it, but I wouldn't want to be trying to keep up with the fastest skiers on it; it feels like it would fold in two if you drove it too hard.

Insider tip: The name is kind of confusing; don't be afraid of this ski.​

Who is it for?
The dawn patrol.
Who is it not for?
Collegiate or FIS racers vacationing at Snowbird.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
136-96-110
Radius
18m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Ski Weight:
1750/g
Binding options
  1. Flat

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the 2020 Black version. I'm 5'8" 150 upper int/adv. I've only skied it a few times so far with Covid and all but I love this ski so far. Havent tried it in powder yet but on hard packed it was really FUN

Sponsor