• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 FIFA World Cup

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of spoilers how about not posting comments with results for at least 12 hours after matches. Folks might be recording and trying to get the full experience AFTER work. Or, is clicking this thread fair warning? It's not for WC Skiing results..
The World Cup skiing threads are fair game to discuss things in real time and spoil all you want... (I wasn't sure which way you meant that.)

I think this one too should be fine with spoilers/spoiling things. Not everyone is in the eastern US, and some of us may want to discuss a match before the next match or next day's matches... things come along and happen too quickly to have a 12 hour delay on things (and to try to get people to hold to that). Seems like a nightmare, and I'm not going to moderate spoilers! :P

I say if you don't want to know what happened, don't click on the thread.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
US match coming up... starting lineups are out:

1669054216682.png

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Entertaining NED/SEN match. Some scrappy defending on both ends. Really enjoyed Senegal's attack without Mane in the lineup, went for it every possession.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For instance, right now you might want to discuss the upcoming US/Wales (or or any other) match, but not see the scores from today's other matches because you're planning to watch them when you get home from work this evening.

But the more I think about it... I vote to let the spoilers fly here. With 3 games each day, there's no good way to discuss things without spoilers jumping in, or the match is old news already. @Mike Rogers - you started the thread... any thoughts?
Agree with caveat lector,

Anyway I can't understand the mentality of spoilers with sports events. Either you care enough to follow in realtime by some mechanism (easy in the days of text commentary) or you accept that it's not the full experience. Don't you want to know when something is a dire 0-0 draw anyway so you can spare 100 minutes of your life watching it? If it's that important you stay virgin, avoid all media and comms.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well disappointing tie with Wales, giving up the pk. Silly challenge on Bale.
They really needed to score two in the first half when they completely owned possession.

Maybe the most worrying thing is the lack of quality shots/chances in the attacking zone. The goal was quite nice, but I think that was the only shot on goal.

It would be good if they tied England Friday, but that’s questionable.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Well disappointing tie with Wales, giving up the pk. Silly challenge on Bale.
They really needed to score two in the first half when they completely owned possession.

Maybe the most worrying thing is the lack of quality shots/chances in the attacking zone. The goal was quite nice, but I think that was the only shot on goal.

It would be good if they tied England Friday, but that’s questionable.
USMNT couldn't get it done.
I'm shocked.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This just assures Canada will have a horrible group round. They will be defeated by Belgium, Croatia, and while tied with Morocco, will loose in stoppage time.
Some folks here were intimating that because Lukaku is out we could best Belgium. I was like.... Come again?!?!?! :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
There really should be a consolation bracket of those who came in third in the group stage.

Tomorrow’s games:

B0846AF0-102E-41B1-9DFC-103605D4B3CC.jpeg

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't understand the mentality of spoilers with sports events. Either you care enough to follow in realtime by some mechanism (easy in the days of text commentary) or you accept that it's not the full experience. Don't you want to know when something is a dire 0-0 draw anyway so you can spare 100 minutes of your life watching it?
Sure to be nice to not have to work in order to watch it during the work day. ;)

Alternatively, no real soccer enthusiast will work during an "important" WC match... :huh:

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are lots of jobs adults have where looking at your phone or wearing ear buds is frowned upon.. Those jobs don't usually pay enough to fund this hobby though..

World cup has been on the office big screens every time where I've worked.. ... at least since 2010. It's a global company..

Full disclosure,the dude at KFC who filled my order yesterday was watching Vikings Cowboys on his phone. He wouldn't have been doing that if the district manager had been there though..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone who misses matches, Fox Sports puts out 4-5 minute summaries of each game. I usually watch them for all the big events for any games I don't get to actually see. Here are todays:

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not exactly a "soccer fan". I don't watch it routinely, only the WC! (and only "some" of the games). But by god I watch the game! Not just a couple glimpse at the scoreboard between meetings. Not just the 30 second replay of the goal attempts.

That said, it's just as easy to not participate in this thread. That way, no exposure to spoilers. This is after all a ski forum, not a soccer discussion forum anyway

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
for me the performance of the team is never a reason to hate/not like a team.
However, the arrogance and especially how fans interact with other teams definitely is.
Given how poor their fans acted during Euro 2020 I am sure most of the world would prefer to see them get kicked out earlier rather than later.
To my knowledge, it is the only team that has such fans ...

Exactly!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Brazil has too potent of an offense for anyone to beat them. USNMT should get out of the bracket they are in . Young team and good preparation for the World cup in the States !
Dark horse is Portugal!

Too potent to be beaten?
Check World Cup 1982 and 1986. Especially the former. One of the finest football teams ever assembled. And yet, they got outfoxed by the Italians. 1986 pretty much the same, this time by the French in one of the best games in history.
Never underestimate the ability of Brazil’s defense to let in more goals than their forwarders could score. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor