• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 FIFA World Cup

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Argentina-Saudi Arabia was a bucking bronco of a game. Completely wild and as a perpetual supporter of underdog teams and Wendy Holdener finally winning a slalom, I was delighted by the result. (Even though it involves a kingdom breaking more human rights than sports records.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That group gets really interesting now depending on what happens in the Mexico/Poland match. If there's an upset there we could see KSA and Poland advancing out of the group, which would be fun.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That group gets really interesting now depending on what happens in the Mexico/Poland match. If there's an upset there we could see KSA and Poland advancing out of the group, which would be fun.
Likely to be 4+ points to progress. So Human Rights Abusers need at least a draw with either other match I think

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Likely to be 4+ points to progress. So Human Rights Abusers need at least a draw with either other match I think

Mod hat on: Let's please, please leave politics out of this thread, whatever anyone thinks. I don't want to have to moderate it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Will Poland upset Mexico?
Hard to leave all reality out of a wcup built on slave labor.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Mod hat on: Let's please, please leave politics out of this thread, whatever anyone thinks. I don't want to have to moderate it.
Noted - but as the entire World Cup this time around is intrinsically political to a hitherto unprecented degree I don't think a totally clean thread is practical. I presume we aren't allowed to comment on Wales fans having their rainbow coloured bucket hats confiscated at the stadium last night?

And it feels cheap to discuss "just the sport" when there is so much else involved and the winners will inevitably have a sportwashed vibe to them that will make it a slightly tainted achievement.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Noted - but as the entire World Cup this time around is intrinsically political to a hitherto unprecented degree I don't think a totally clean thread is practical. I presume we aren't allowed to comment on Wales fans having their rainbow coloured bucket hats confiscated at the stadium last night?
Correct, we're not going to discuss that here except as it affects the tournament/matches. Much like we say in the skiing threads with "discuss it as it affects skiing", let's keep focus on soccer and matches, not the politics.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nov 22, 9:16 AM EST

Budweiser plans celebration with unused beer​

With millions of dollars in unused beer sitting in Qatar, the company AB InBev says it will be bringing the beer to the winning country for an "ultimate" celebration.

"Where there is a celebration, there is always a Budweiser. In that spirit, Budweiser wants to bring this celebration from the FIFA World Cup stadiums to the winning country’s fans," the company said in a statement. "We will host the ultimate championship celebration for the winning country. Because, for the winning fans, they’ve taken the world. More details will be shared when we get closer to the finals."

bud.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Correct, we're not going to discuss that here except as it affects the tournament/matches. Much like we say in the skiing threads with "discuss it as it affects skiing", let's keep focus on soccer and matches, not the politics.
But it affects the fan experience - you allowed comments on the beer situation so it's hard to know where the line is?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
so it's hard to know where the line is?
It is. But I also don't want to and won't turn this thread into a discussion of moderation any further. Please stay away from politics and hot topics. If anyone goes over the line, we'll have to moderate, and I'd prefer not to. Thank you.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OCHOA! Got on my Chichrito jersey today. Hope Mexico can find the back of the net before this is over..

James

Out There
Instructor
Hard to root for the Mexican drama queens. Ochoa is an exception.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to root for the Mexican drama queens. Ochoa is an exception.
I tend to always root for other CONCACAF countries when they don't impact the US.

I have some weird thought that I care how strong CONCACAF appears to be. I guess it's jealousy vs. UEFA and CONMEBOL.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Two 0 - 0 matches today... hopefully they were tense and not boring. (I didn't get to see either...)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nov 22, 9:16 AM EST

Budweiser plans celebration with unused beer​

With millions of dollars in unused beer sitting in Qatar, the company AB InBev says it will be bringing the beer to the winning country for an "ultimate" celebration.

"Where there is a celebration, there is always a Budweiser. In that spirit, Budweiser wants to bring this celebration from the FIFA World Cup stadiums to the winning country’s fans," the company said in a statement. "We will host the ultimate championship celebration for the winning country. Because, for the winning fans, they’ve taken the world. More details will be shared when we get closer to the finals."

View attachment 183784
This should be the story of the tourney. People are forced to actually watch soccer because no beer! :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
I tend to always root for other CONCACAF countries when they don't impact the US.

I have some weird thought that I care how strong CONCACAF appears to be. I guess it's jealousy vs. UEFA and CONMEBOL.
I’ll root for just about anyone to beat Mexico. Exceptions for Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
France looked like they are still trying to adjust to their losses …. And yet they did manage to subdue and hypnotize an Australian team that came to play.
Mbappe was also off a little but still the most amazing player to watch. He may benefit from no Benzema as he does like the spotlight.
Defense needs to tighten up tighten it up
against those long passes. And Lloris looked flat footed.

Tomorrow should be very interesting.

And can’t wait to see how Brazil will
play.

I do miss Italy though

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
France looked like they are still trying to adjust to their losses …. And yet they did manage to subdue and hypnotize an Australian team that came to play.
Mbappe was also off a little but still the most amazing player to watch. He may benefit from no Benzema as he does like the spotlight.
Defense needs to tighten up tighten it up
against those long passes. And Lloris looked flat footed.

Tomorrow should be very interesting.

And can’t wait to see how Brazil will
play.

I do miss Italy though
Just watching the highlights, it seemed like France could have scored a few more. They had quite a few really good chances.

Sponsor

Staff online