• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 FIFA World Cup

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Scratch that US maybe don't need a point tonight if they can beat Iran.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tonight is I think the best test of whether England are credible contenders. I'd expect them to win as squad depth is vastly different but the manner of the result will be informative. And of course if US can get at least a draw or win things start to look very positive on their side.
My two favorites going at it.. One is the "oh my wouldn't it be cool if they pulled off the upset" and the other is "they should totally have this and send a message that they are a contender like France and Brasil did." Anything but a blowout for England is a win for the US soccer program..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Scratch that US maybe don't need a point tonight if they can beat Iran.
Yeah... unless Wales beats England, which becomes a bit more possible if England beats us and is through already.

Then if Wales wins and the US wins it comes to tiebreakers.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah... unless Wales beats England, which becomes a bit more possible if England beats us and is through already.

Then if Wales wins and the US wins it comes to tiebreakers.
I dont think England will let Wales win.
They may not go all-out on that game but they would still outclass Wales by a lot

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont think England will let Wales win.
They may not go all-out on that game but they would still outclass Wales by a lot
Maybe not "let" then win. But there could certainly be different subs, resting players on yellow cards, etc. if they don't have much incentive to win.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Maybe not "let" then win. But there could certainly be different subs, resting players on yellow cards, etc. if they don't have much incentive to win.
I agree but even then I don't think Wales has much chance of winning

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy cow... just catching up on the Iran/Wales match details...

0-0 through 85 minutes, then Wales keeper gets a red card, then Iran scores 2 in extra time!

And it was a long extra time because of the new way they're doing it.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
The amount of extra time in each game is an affront to the soccer gods.
Thinking the Iran/Wales result might hurt US and sets up Iran to possibly go through:rolleyes:; seems like a tie would've been better.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The amount of extra time in each game is an affront to the soccer gods.
I kind of go back and forth on whether it's good or not. I'd be OK if they made it more accurate like they're trying, but also put some limits or adjustments on it to generally keep it under 10 mins. or something.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I kind of go back and forth on whether it's good or not. I'd be OK if they made it more accurate like they're trying, but also put some limits or adjustments on it to generally keep it under 10 mins. or something.
I know it is an affront to all football/soccer fans and probably a very American idea, but how about a clock that stops and starts so there is no nebulous decision on stoppage time?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So with two very big upsets already, who here is a conspiracy theorist???

I know it is an affront to all football/soccer fans and probably a very American idea, but how about a clock that stops and starts so there is no nebulous decision on stoppage time?
Not quite Rugby league and Union both stop the clock during the game rather than add on time and RL even has a strict 80min hooter, Union plays out the last possession which can mean a lot of time overrun in practice with the clock red.

I think stopping the clock probably works but is more difficult in football because of the constant nature of the game. You wouldn't time an NFL game just on the time between snaps and downs for instance.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You wouldn't time an NFL game just on the time between snaps and downs for instance.
Well the NFL (all American football really) has a weird mix of stopping and not stopping the clock rules. Sometimes it does so between plays and sometimes not, and that becomes part of the strategy.

Is think the clock stopping in soccer would be pretty close to what they're doing right now in the world cup.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Like indoor 7 a side, on the fly from the half. It would be interesting and likely save 3-5 min run time on average.
I like the extra time so far. It compensates for the excessive flopping and time wasting strategy a team uses once in control. If it doesn't get you anywhere (time being added) then maybe the circus performances stop cuz it works against you or can work against you.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sub on the fly like in hockey. That would be fun.
Well you only get 3 player subs, so it wouldn't save much time. :)

Unless you're taking about unlimited substitution, which would really change the game.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid