• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 "First to Open" in North America thread

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper has started their snow guns, so it seemed like a good time to start a "who will be the first to open" thread.

Last year I think it was Wild Mountain in Minnesota. Many years, it's been Loveland or A-Basin.

So who do you think it will be this year, and when?

The usual "rule" is that they have to stay open for the season, not just manage a one day opening, only to close again. (EDIT: Also... this means open to the public, not just for race training.)

My totally random guess is Keystone, October 23rd. (But I'm always wrong on these!)

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mt. Rose has moved their name from the hat, Where they used to try to open Nevada Day (the last Friday in October), they will not open until mid November now.

The caveat with Copper, is they will get ready for team training early but not open to the public until a little later.

I will second @pchewn unless someone opens on a whim, usually after a cold spell in the east but then has to shut down again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
For the public:

Abasin, a couple hours before Keystone just to mess with them. Loveland to follow within the week.

Abasin and Loveland have similar capacity -- but Abasin has 1/2 the terrain to cover to open up. Keystone's capacity is far greater.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still sunny and warm in Vermont which is just fine with me. Hitting close to 70 today and peak of leaves. Snow and cold can wait a little and my bet is first turns (for me) on 11/6 at Killington. Will be interesting to see when they fire up the guns for World Cup and early season prep. Still waiting for first frost but it’s been close.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
My guess is A basin. Their base is several hundred feet above Keystone. And they seem more into the race to open first vs Loveland.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Lake Louise..or Sunshine. LL usually has the DH in November..
1633642439683.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The usual "rule" is that they have to stay open for the season, not just manage a one day opening, only to close again. (EDIT: Also... this means open to the public, not just for race training.)
Even though I pushed for that rule a couple years ago and agree it should the a requirement.. There have been a couple seasons where places around here all ended up shutting down at some point in DECEMBER and weren't going strong until early January!

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What is the temp up in the mountains this time of year?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My guess is A basin. Their base is several hundred feet above Keystone. And they seem more into the race to open first vs Loveland.

Keystone doesn't typically open to the base. The gondola to midway and open the top half. Which is close to Abasin elevation with better capacity.

LL has larger surface area and more vertical feet to cover than Abasin -- and frankly is more concerned getting the race course open ASAP than opening to the public a few days earlier.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
For the public:

Abasin, a couple hours before Keystone just to mess with them. Loveland to follow within the week.

Abasin and Loveland have similar capacity -- but Abasin has 1/2 the terrain to cover to open up. Keystone's capacity is far greater.
^^^this. A-Basin will never lose to Loveland again due to so much less terrain and they will open to beat Keystone.

Interestingly, we’re just about to enter a decent looking stormy period. Natural snowfall doesn’t typically mean too much for opening, but given the relative warm, lack of early snowmaking, and potential heavy snowfall going into next week it may be the player to beat.

I’m going to bet Wolf Creek. I agree you have to stay open or it doesn’t count, but who knows if we’re looking at a cold Oct and if Wolf feels like messing with everybody. People are all over the map, literally, with COVID displacement (intended and not) and nothing is “out of the way” anymore. May be a more compelling business model than ever before for Wolf to open and just run it. It’s not like they care if you want to ski on 6”.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No idea about anywhere outside of Colorado, especially Canada.

I think A Basin may be hurting for enough water this year, and Keystone has almost unlimited water and each year adds to their snow making ability. So I'll guess Keystone unless nature lets loose enough natural snow or prolonged cold for A Basin to foil them.

One way or another, Keystone will have much more terrain early on, even if they lose to A Basin by a nose or a day again.

I'm going to hope for last week in October, but have no idea when, really, except not this week or next.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I think Keystone will open 1st, at least in CO. Nov 11th. Just basing it on some friendly comments made at the recent COO event held at Copper.

I'll play. Keystone will finally open 1st this year in CO. Based upon superior snow-making equipment, generous water resources via a contract with Denver Water, and they are still probably smarting from A-Basin sucker punching them in 2019 with a 2-hour afternoon opening the day before Keystone's announced opening.

I don't have a dog in this fight: I have both Epic Local and A-Basin passes this season. However, recent experience is that Keystone often has a slightly deeper (or, at least, more consistent) snow base during the Early Season. weeks. Most of my ski base damage has been from skiing A-Basin "too early" in October or November!

Sponsor

Staff online