• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 "First to Open" in North America thread

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What I’m wondering how is snow coverage normally in November.
Locals will know much better than me, but I wouldn't expect very much to be open by then. It really depends on whether or not any more storms come through though. Can you play it by ear? Or do you need to plan?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What’s the chance that Keystone will open Saturday afternoon, you know, just for payback?

Always a possibility. Summit Daily even questions whether or not Keystone has something up their sleeve. Loveland announced they are not opening until they have an 18" base.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
It looks like Wolf Creek has only gotten 14" of snow so far, is it typical for them to open on such little snow? I remember either last season or the one before they opened on 30" of snow, so I am aware that they are able to open with early-season conditions on low amounts of snow, but is opening on an amount like 14" typical for them?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
is it typical for them to open on such little snow?
I think Wolf Creek is known for being willing to open (the resort, and runs) even with very sketchy/thin conditions. I don't know if it's typical, because they get a lot of snow... but they have done it before.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
WC is opening beginner terrain so I'm sure they blew snow over the natural that fell. WROD skiing isn't always what its cracked up to be. Its fun to get the boots on, put your new jacket on and stay hello to friends you haven't seen since last winter but you do need to be careful.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I found some good deals to get me to A Basin 7 Nov through 13 November. I don't know anything about the place, worth it?

It may be just High Noon open if it doesn’t get a lot colder. It’s unlikely A-Basin will be open (single run) top to bottom by then. There will not be any natural snow terrain open unless we get hammered relentlessly and it doesn’t warm up to facet the snow that fell on natural terrain, which just converts into into avy risk and well be shelled down by patrol. Big storms mid-Oct are not good in CO for getting terrain open since it’s going to warm and cool and sit there and make pretty faceted snow. I know that’s anti-stoke, but we’re going to be staring at patrol shelled avy slides in Dec because of this that have taken that terrain back to the ground.

Having said that, WROD skiing is a blast, and if you will also ski Loveland, which has a vastly superior first run experience, then if you just have to ski…it’ll be good skiiing.
It looks like Wolf Creek has only gotten 14" of snow so far, is it typical for them to open on such little snow? I remember either last season or the one before they opened on 30" of snow, so I am aware that they are able to open with early-season conditions on low amounts of snow, but is opening on an amount like 14" typical for them?

They have opened on 6”. Wolf is happy to let you base grind your skis, they will usually open if they get a decent Oct snow. That’s why I put that bet out when we saw this storm coming and hitting the San Juans. They are the only CO resort that will open this early without the standard 18” WROD base of manmade.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
WC is opening beginner terrain so I'm sure they blew snow over the natural that fell. WROD skiing isn't always what its cracked up to be. Its fun to get the boots on, put your new jacket on and stay hello to friends you haven't seen since last winter but you do need to be careful.

I’d be super careful at Wolf as I can remember reports of just skiing on the natural that fell, but you really only need to be careful of other people at A-Basin and Loveland, you aren’t going to hit the ground at either place. Unless something has changed, they will not allow operations with under an 18” base, and that’s the standard on which A-Basin closes.

The CO WROD isn’t a WROD. It’s just a full trail coverage single run that opens the season and gets a lot of use. I mean, don’t go ski off into the trees, but don’t do that anyway. Lapping one run with all (all) of your besties in Oct is awesome.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I found some good deals to get me to A Basin 7 Nov through 13 November. I don't know anything about the place, worth it?
Worth it?
What kind of question is that?
Its always worth it!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Worth it?
What kind of question is that?
Its always worth it!

The Loveland “WROD”. Check out those 120mm pow skis! Check out those crowds! Check out that terrible snow! Check out those terrible views! Sad!

10D1F5AD-CD0A-4108-9B8E-6C4CC5530778.jpeg

Ugh, I need to stop doing this, it’s the first time in 5 years that I don’t have a Loveland season pass. High Noon, baby!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Lol, yeah, I know what you mean. I guess I was just wondering if I should spend a bunch of money now or wait and spend even more later :)
Well no, don’t spend a bunch of money now unless you have a bunch of money to spend later. It’s literally like one run for 3 weeks or more unless it stays really cold (it hasn’t in years) and it snows a ton early (it hasn’t in years).

This stuff is fun, but it’s just concentrating 100% of snowmaking capacity on literally one run.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Living far from the first to open areas, I put on my boots, clicked into my new Blossoms FIS SL's, and did two kick turns in the living room. Didn't equal WROD skiing, but I was on skis and did turn -- without falling.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
You might find it a cheaper trip and a lot less hassle just to stay East Coast and hit up Killington or Sunday River midweek sometime before Thanksgiving.

It is hard to justify flying to ski before Thanksgiving, if you have a solid WROD to ski within a few hours.

Save your money and visit A-Basin late April or Early May, when New England is shut down (except for muddy bumps off Superstar), and A-Basin is a fully open and sun drenched delight.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It looks like Wolf Creek has only gotten 14" of snow so far, is it typical for them to open on such little snow?
Tuning shops in the area are staffing up for a busy week.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
What’s the chance that Keystone will open Saturday afternoon, you know, just for payback?
If Keystone tries to jump ahead of A-Basin the best option they have is to run the lift late on Saturday afternoon (like after 3pm)... and immediately put it out on social media, and then offer night skiing.

You can avoid a cluster at the base to load the Gondola, you can snap the "we are open" banner shot from the summit with some more golden low angle light, and then get the press novelty for the evening news by having night skiing on the WROD until 730pm.

In a future year, if snowmaking has temps, but weather has been dry and streamflow is low, Keystone's essentially unlimited water supply could let them beat A-Basin to an opening and maybe even by a lot. If climate change reduces mountain water resources, that is an advantage to Keystone in future years. The new Bergmann Bowl lift and snowmaking up to 12,000 ft could also change the equation for the race to open, and early season terrain, as soon as next year.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
You might find it a cheaper trip and a lot less hassle just to stay East Coast and hit up Killington or Sunday River midweek sometime before Thanksgiving.

It is hard to justify flying to ski before Thanksgiving, if you have a solid WROD to ski within a few hours.

Save your money and visit A-Basin late April or Early May, when New England is shut down (except for muddy bumps off Superstar), and A-Basin is a fully open and sun drenched delight.
Yes, you are making too much sense :)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If Keystone tries to jump ahead of A-Basin the best option they have is to run the lift late on Saturday afternoon (like after 3pm)... and immediately put it out on social media, and then offer night skiing.

You can avoid a cluster at the base to load the Gondola, you can snap the "we are open" banner shot from the summit with some more golden low angle light, and then get the press novelty for the evening news by having night skiing on the WROD until 730pm.

In a future year, if snowmaking has temps, but weather has been dry and streamflow is low, Keystone's essentially unlimited water supply could let them beat A-Basin to an opening and maybe even by a lot. If climate change reduces mountain water resources, that is an advantage to Keystone in future years. The new Bergmann Bowl lift and snowmaking up to 12,000 ft could also change the equation for the race to open, and early season terrain, as soon as next year.
Y’all a bit excited about Keystone.

Sponsor

Staff online