• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Fischer RC4 The Curv GT

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The new export and upload looks half decent on Vimeo (although I had to trim it to fit into my upload limit):

And for anyone interested, this video was captured by the Insta360 GO 2 camera mounted using the magnetic pendant on my chest (no chest straps need apply... ;) ).

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski both the 168 and 175 ?
Aside from the 1m posted radius increase, would the Curv GT 175 be notably stiffer / more-work than the 168 ?

There was a Fischer demo tent setup a couple days ago at my local hill ( 600' ) and I got 2 runs on the 168 as that's all the time I had -> loved it and would readily buy it if I can make some quiver room. I find my K2 STi 170 perhaps a wee bit stiff for my liking, maybe shoulda' bought it in a 165 if that length might have been a bit softer. Regardless, the Fischer seems to ooze more quality and feel and edge-grip over the K2 in my brief outing. I'm really becoming a Fischer fanboy and wish they were more readily available up here in the Toronto area. I mentioned that to the rep and he said something like "Ya, Ontario is the sales black-hole for Fischer".

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Anyone ski both the 168 and 175 ?
Aside from the 1m posted radius increase, would the Curv GT 175 be notably stiffer / more-work than the 168 ?

There was a Fischer demo tent setup a couple days ago at my local hill ( 600' ) and I got 2 runs on the 168 as that's all the time I had -> loved it and would readily buy it if I can make some quiver room. I find my K2 STi 170 perhaps a wee bit stiff for my liking, maybe shoulda' bought it in a 165 if that length might have been a bit softer. Regardless, the Fischer seems to ooze more quality and feel and edge-grip over the K2 in my brief outing. I'm really becoming a Fischer fanboy and wish they were more readily available up here in the Toronto area. I mentioned that to the rep and he said something like "Ya, Ontario is the sales black-hole for Fischer".

Maybe you can extrapolate from my experience on the previous generation Curv GT skis in different lengths. I own two of the 168cm (2018 and 2021) and two of the 175cm (2019 and 2021). The difference when you jump from the 168 to the 175 is significant. The 168 ski like powerful wide SL skis and they may just be my favorite groomer zoomer skis ever. I'm still working on my own skiing performance to be able to ski the 175 versions well. They are just "more" of everything. I have to be careful not to blink on those. That's not what I recall from the 2022 175cm version that Phil let me test. Fischer definitely backed off on the new version so that mere mortals can ski the damn things. (Heluvaskier has the 2019 182cm Curv GT and he and @razie have skied it and have had some some :geek: moments and observations of those).

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the input Noodler. I think the 168 fits more what I'm after in the narrow slot, and zero complaints for what it delivered on my quick 2 runs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: The Curv GT is one of the more quiet skis in the segment, quiet, damp, smooth and and a word that has been a buzzword in the past couple of days, has a beautiful suspension. The Curv GT is definately on the Power side of the scale and does want your attention but does not demand it. Can you take it in the bumps? Sure but unless you are centered on the ski, it will remind you of it's stiffer construction.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what's not to like?
I like to extract the fun out of the ski, energy etc. That thing is super damp , gives no feedback or energy at decent speeds and it makes you ramp up the speed into GS territory and then it suddenly does start to bend and hook up and get very lively, but you will be acutely aware of it's 16m radius.

If that happened with a 20-25m radius, it's ok, it's not all unexpected, it won't hookup and scare you at speed, but this one has 16m so the risk of suddenly doing a slalom radius at GS speeds is not fun...

If you like the dampness and suspension at low speeds, I can bet it can be a nice ski. But if you're looking to extract the fun out of it... Uhh... It requires precision all of a sudden, because it starts to bend tight-ish.

I didn't spend much time on it and it was hardpack, so that likely plays into it, but that's what I got out of it.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like to extract the fun out of the ski, energy etc. That thing is super damp , gives no feedback or energy at decent speeds and it makes you ramp up the speed into GS territory and then it suddenly does start to bend and hook up and get very lively, but you will be acutely aware of it's 16m radius.

If that happened with a 20-25m radius, it's ok, it's not all and expected, it won't hookup and scare you at speed, but this one has 16m so the risk of suddenly doing a slalom radius at GS speeds is not fun...

If you like the dampness and suspension at low speeds, I can bet it can be a nice ski. But 8f you're looking to extract the fun out if it... Uhh...
Hmmm a ski that is accessible at lower speeds is bad ... a ski that does not come to life until higher speeds is bad ... What a fickle bunch. :rolleyes:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

If that happened with a 20-25m radius, it's ok, it's not all and expected, it won't hookup and scare you at speed, but this one has 16m so the risk of suddenly doing a slalom radius at GS speeds is not fun...

If you like the dampness and suspension at low speeds, I can bet it can be a nice ski. But 8f you're looking to extract the fun out if it... Uhh...
Good explanation, thanks.
A 16 m radius has no place on a ski that wakes up at 50 mph.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: It's been a few months since I was on the The Curv GT last but, seeing how the season has been going, I think it's the same snow! Warm afternoons and cold nights have made for some pretty firm conditions at Mt. Rose, especially early in the day. From corduroy that doesn't yield to granulated sugar on top to softening groomers as the morning wore on, the GT handles them all with no fuss. The SkiTalk GTs are tuned to 1/3 so getting on edge on the glazy stuff is no issue, and the softer stuff just becomes a place to lay tracks. It was a short morning and all runs were on groomed or kinda groomed runs except one that looked like they started and ran out of gas or time and then it froze. Everything from coral to chicken heads to death cookies with a little dirt at the bottom. I took it easy and the Fischers were unflappable. While they aren't a super demanding ski, they certainly reward a good technique while not getting too upset with mistakes.
58757.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: It's been a few months since I was on the The Curv GT last but, seeing how the season has been going, I think it's the same snow! Warm afternoons and cold nights have made for some pretty firm conditions at Mt. Rose, especially early in the day. From corduroy that doesn't yield to granulated sugar on top to softening groomers as the morning wore on, the GT handles them all with no fuss. The SkiTalk GTs are tuned to 1/3 so getting on edge on the glazy stuff is no issue, and the softer stuff just becomes a place to lay tracks. It was a short morning and all runs were on groomed or kinda groomed runs except one that looked like they started and ran out of gas or time and then it froze. Everything from coral to chicken heads to death cookies with a little dirt at the bottom. I took it easy and the Fischers were unflappable. While they aren't a super demanding ski, they certainly reward a good technique while not getting too upset with mistakes.
View attachment 165076
I think you and Phil both have skiing styles that fit well with that ski: Calm, patient, longish turns; not afraid of speed.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
not afraid of speed
@Philpug is less afraid of speed than me! I don't know that I'm afraid of speed, I'm just not totally confident in my ability to control it! Thank you, though. Today's snow was SO good, at least for a while, for a ski like the Curv.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Philpug is less afraid of speed than me! I don't know that I'm afraid of speed, I'm just not totally confident in my ability to control it! Thank you, though. Today's snow was SO good, at least for a while, for a ski like the Curv.

You're not giving yourself enough credit (although that's better than being a braggart!). After seeing your skiing firsthand, it's nice to know there's another reviewer at SkiTalk whose thoughts I'm interested in hearing. So keep giving those Curv GTs a workout... ;)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

If that happened with a 20-25m radius, it's ok, it's not all unexpected, it won't hookup and scare you at speed, but this one has 16m so the risk of suddenly doing a slalom radius at GS speeds is not fun...

If you like the dampness and suspension at low speeds, I can bet it can be a nice ski. But if you're looking to extract the fun out of it... Uhh... It requires precision all of a sudden, because it starts to bend tight-ish.

I didn't spend much time on it and it was hardpack, so that likely plays into it, but that's what I got out of it.
Sounds like the length was too long for you. Would a shorter be better at decent speeds?

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Comparing the Fischer RC4 GT THE CURVE to the BLIZZARD THUNDERBIRD R15 WB, the Fischer is A) Way more ski B) About the same C) they really are very different skis.

Sponsor