• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Fischer RC4 The Curv GT

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Erik Timmerman: Fischer has updated the Curv GT, taking it from a ski that was a nice piece of my quiver to a ski that could replace half of my quiver. The old GT felt like it had one thing it wanted to do; the new GT feels like it is ready to do most anything. The best thing to me was that there was no "figuring out the ski." It felt good just skating to the lift, and once I went down the ramp, the performance was intuitive. You want to bang off rapid short-swing turns? Sure! Lay trenches? Ok! Rip some bump lines? Yes, please! The ski is silky smooth with an improved shape versus the previous generation: the tip is less aggressive, which plays a big part in the versatility.

Insider tip: This could be the perfect ski for your Level III exam. Also, size it according to the turn size you want to make.​

Philpug: Is it a Fischer Curv GT or Fischer The Curv GT? The name "The Curv" just doesn’t sound right. To the business at hand, Fischer brings back one of its most popular models from recent years with a fresh shape and updated performance. Where the retired Curv GT had a more gradual rise in the tip and a flared tail, the more traditional new version has a performance-oriented RC4-derived construction. The new Curv GT feels solid and smooth, and can be pushed, carved, taken into bumps ... it will even perform as an exam ski. This ski does it all. With a price point slightly more than regular skis but less than premium, it is unique considering what you get for your money with one of the best base and sidewall finishes.

Insider tip: Still some of the best-finished bases and sidewalls in the business.​

Awards
Who is it for?
The better you ski, the more you will get out of the Curv GT. Lovers of all things corduroy who want some versatility.
Who is it not for?
It obviously is frontside-oriented; no one will mistake it for a powder ski. Those not sold on the need for a narrow ski. Shrug, your loss.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
161, 168, 175, 182
Dimensions
127-76-110
Radius
17m@182cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. System

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
This is a ski that I definitely don't need, BUT I would like to get on them and if they ski the way I think they do, maybe I could talk myself into being an owner.

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious how these compare to the non-GT version (70mm under foot). I"ve got a pair of S/Force Bolds that make a great carving ski to bring "out west", but I could use a non-race carving ski with a 17m turn radius for skiing the "bigger" hills around the midwest. Or at least I tell myself that these would be better for that than my cheater Redster G9's and I need to fill that gap in my quiver.:roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: Opening day at Mt. Rose with perfect condtions was a great platform to let the new The Curv GT stretch it's legs. It is great getting reaquainted with a ski that I didn't have enough time to spend last Spring in the conditions it was meant for.

The Curv GT with it's 15 meter sidecut in our 175 cm length checks all the boxes for those looking for a ski that has a solid purposeful feel but does not have the need for a race or psuedo race ski.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Opening day at Mt. Rose with perfect condtions was a great platform to let the new The Curv GT stretch it's legs. It is great getting reaquainted with a ski that I didn't have enough time to spend last Spring in the conditions it was meant for.

The Curv GT with it's 15 meter sidecut in our 175 cm length checks all the boxes for those looking for a ski that has a solid purposeful feel but does not have the need for a race or psuedo race ski.
Thanks @Philpug, this is the update I was waiting for after I saw your pics today. I still think these are ripe for a cage match with the @Blossom Skis AM 77.

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
Any recommendations on where I might be able to rent a pair? I'm either at Mt. Rose or Palisades.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any recommendations on where I might be able to rent a pair? I'm either at Mt. Rose or Palisades.
Unfortunately I doubt anyone will be putting it into demo service.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I took the The Curv (??) to Mt. Rose today for a few runs on some firm groomers that softened yesterday and froze a bit last night. There was enough wind to blow some fresh around on the surface and pile it a bit in spots. I also dropped off the edge into the unknown, which turned out to be fairly compacted deep powder that softened, froze, and had some wind effect "crust" on it. Throw in some small bumps and that made for half a dozen runs. The The Curv (??) handled everything quite well. On the groomers it held well, though transitions were a bit slower edge to edge than I anticipated probably due to the bit of tip rise that helps the ski work well in other conditions besides groomers; it doesn't pull you in as quickly as some other 76mm skis. However, pick up the speed and lay it over and you'll lay a respectable set of tracks. The RC4 makes for a very capable jack-of-all trades when conditions are starting to get skied out and there's not a lot of fresh deep to be had.

This ski sounds ripe for a cage match with the Blossom AM77!
Not an official cage match, but I have the SkiTalk Sideral AM77. The dimensions are fairly close with the AM77 being a bit wider in the tip by 4mm, 1mm in the waist, and 1mm in the tail. The biggest difference is the AM77 skis every bit its length; there is no rise until the obligatory tip. The RC4 starts rising about an inch further back. It's not much but it's noticeable. Interestingly, the RC4's tail runs flat almost to the very end, with a little "flip" in the last inch and very little rounding on the sides. The AM77 has a little more tail rise and rounder edges coming into the tail. The Blossom has noticeably more camber and I'm also skiing the Vist Speedlock Pro plate on them. The AM77, IMHO, is more groomer oriented with some limited capabilities in other conditions, at least at my level/skill set. The RC4 is not as strong/powerful on the groomers but has a wider bandwidth across the frontside. Mounted flat without a plate, the Blossom's personality may be entirely different. I haven't skied it without the plate so I have no reference there. All in all, two different machines with different purposes that, while they overlap some, are different enough to have both in your quiver.:ogbiggrin:

20220106_093045.jpg

Matchy matchy!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Important to note for those familiar with Fischer's Curv series over the past few years, that the 2022 iterations of these skis are totally new and quite unlike what came before them.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Blossom has noticeably more camber and I'm also skiing the Vist Speedlock Pro plate on them. The AM77, IMHO, is more groomer oriented with some limited capabilities in other conditions, at least at my level/skill set. The RC4 is not as strong/powerful on the groomers but has a wider bandwidth across the frontside. Mounted flat without a plate, the Blossom's personality may be entirely different. I haven't skied it without the plate so I have no reference there. All in all, two different machines with different purposes that, while they overlap some, are different enough to have both in your quiver.:ogbiggrin:

Thanks @AndyMink. This sounds like my experience with Blossom/Vist set-up versus a tad wider Fischer, the RC One GT 86. My guess is that ski is more versatile off piste and less quick edge-to-edge than The Curv, but I will leave it up to the more knowledgeable and skilled skiers here.

FWIW, I found a spot for both of those skis in my quiver. The Fischer is for skiing with kids, the Blossom for grown-ups.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do these compare to the Head e-Rally?
Long term update: The Head e-Rally is a lot more turnier of a ski, it wants to make more "c" shaped turns where the The Curv with it's dual radius sidecut is more comfortable making bigger "S" shaped ones. I also find the Fischer to be more planted and more comfortable at speed.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got on the Curv GT rather unassuming as I had not read or heard anything about it. Sometimes I feel like it takes me a run or two to get the feel of a ski. This Fischer was not one of those skis. Solid from the start. It has the feel of a premium ski and is confidence inspiring for me. I felt I could trust it in any condition I took it in that day. I wouldn’t use the word “nimble” to describe it but it wasn’t telling me where I had to go. This ski allowed me to drive it and then allowed me to enjoy the ride. The tail seems to strike the delicate balance of being there for you to finish the turn but not punishing you for an imperfect turn. I felt it was an all around good ski that I could see easily being part of a two ski quiver.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
20220114_092942_077_saved.jpg
Long term update: I went back and revisited my original post and I 100% agree with myself, I was dead on from the start, The Curv GT does not disappoint. Today was one of the days that is I had almost any ski to choose from, the Curv GT would be at the top of the list. Conditions at Mt. Rose were leftover leftovers, and they don't expect to get any better over the next few weeks, makes us kinda glad we are headed out of town. The conditions, dry groomers, and where it wasn't groomed, chalky edgeable bumps, the snow a 76mm ski should thrive and eat up and sure enough the Curv GT did just that without even breaking a sweat. If you are looking for a ski in this class that is on the power side of the spectrum, the Curv GT most be on you short list.

switters

Booting up
Skier
Important to note for those familiar with Fischer's Curv series over the past few years, that the 2022 iterations of these skis are totally new and quite unlike what came before them.
I saw someone mention this on Blister's review of the RC4 The Curv M/O. He said they are softer and less race-inspired than they had been previously. Is this accurate?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I saw someone mention this on Blister's review of the RC4 The Curv M/O. He said they are softer and less race-inspired than they had been previously. Is this accurate?

The wording Fischer is using is that they've made them more "accessible". Interpret that as you may.

Note that the Curv series was way over toward the race ski side of things. So this renewed series, although "detuned" a bit, are still "more" than many other similar skis.

Sponsor