• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Fischer RC4 The Curv GT

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's the M/O mean?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note that the Curv series was way over toward the race ski side of things. So this renewed series, although "detuned" a bit, are still "more" than many other similar skis.
I agree, the new Curv GT is much more traditional than the previous one and I agree "more" is a good word to compare it to some of the more commonly referred skis in the class. Ours has a 1*/2* tune and I imagine this ski woudl step up another level with a 1* or even .5* and 3* tune. Hmmmm, maybe I will drop it by Smoothrides for a freshening for a roung two of testing since the Curv GT will carry over to 2023 unchanged.

Last edited by a moderator:

switters

Booting up
Skier
I agree, the new Curv GT is much more traditional than the previous one and I agree "more" is a good word to compare it to some of the more commonly referred skis in the class. Ours has a 1*/2* tune and I imagine this ski woudl step up another level with a 1* or even .5* and 3* tune. Hmmmm, maybe I will drop it by Smoothrides for a freshening for a roung two of testing since the Curv GT will carry over to 2023 unchanged.
To clarify, does your review apply to the 21/22 (new) or the 20/21 (previous series)?

Also, what’s the main difference between the M/O and GT?

Last edited:

switters

Booting up
Skier
Sorry, I just re-read the review and see that it applies to the new 2022 Curv GT. I just found a shop that has one in stock in the length I'm interested in. Still wondering how this ski differs from the M/O?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I took the The Curv (??) to Mt. Rose today for a few runs on some firm groomers that softened yesterday and froze a bit last night. There was enough wind to blow some fresh around on the surface and pile it a bit in spots. I also dropped off the edge into the unknown, which turned out to be fairly compacted deep powder that softened, froze, and had some wind effect "crust" on it. Throw in some small bumps and that made for half a dozen runs. The The Curv (??) handled everything quite well. On the groomers it held well, though transitions were a bit slower edge to edge than I anticipated probably due to the bit of tip rise that helps the ski work well in other conditions besides groomers; it doesn't pull you in as quickly as some other 76mm skis. However, pick up the speed and lay it over and you'll lay a respectable set of tracks. The RC4 makes for a very capable jack-of-all trades when conditions are starting to get skied out and there's not a lot of fresh deep to be had.

Not an official cage match, but I have the SkiTalk Sideral AM77. The dimensions are fairly close with the AM77 being a bit wider in the tip by 4mm, 1mm in the waist, and 1mm in the tail. The biggest difference is the AM77 skis every bit its length; there is no rise until the obligatory tip. The RC4 starts rising about an inch further back. It's not much but it's noticeable. Interestingly, the RC4's tail runs flat almost to the very end, with a little "flip" in the last inch and very little rounding on the sides. The AM77 has a little more tail rise and rounder edges coming into the tail. The Blossom has noticeably more camber and I'm also skiing the Vist Speedlock Pro plate on them. The AM77, IMHO, is more groomer oriented with some limited capabilities in other conditions, at least at my level/skill set. The RC4 is not as strong/powerful on the groomers but has a wider bandwidth across the frontside. Mounted flat without a plate, the Blossom's personality may be entirely different. I haven't skied it without the plate so I have no reference there. All in all, two different machines with different purposes that, while they overlap some, are different enough to have both in your quiver.:ogbiggrin:

View attachment 154182
Matchy matchy!
Andy, what lengths were you on in these two skis? I'm asking because I've now been on both - only a couple runs each, and months apart - and I would have swapped your descriptions. My perception of the Curv GT was more in line with the ones Phil and Noodler have further down the thread - a serious ski that likes speed and longer turns. Stable but not nimble. Close to a race ski. The Blossom seemed like a great groomer ski that was very precise but not especially demanding. I was able to bend it with a little speed and to keep ahead of it easily. The Fischer I honestly found challenging and had to make a concerted effort to stay on top of things. (Could have been the conditions. Or my condition that day.) I was on the AM 77 @ 170cm and the Curv @ 168.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, what lengths were you on in these two skis? I'm asking because I've now been on both - only a couple runs each, and months apart - and I would have swapped your descriptions. My perception of the Curv GT was more in line with the ones Phil and Noodler have further down the thread - a serious ski that likes speed and longer turns. Stable but not nimble. Close to a race ski. The Blossom seemed like a great groomer ski that was very precise but not especially demanding. I was able to bend it with a little speed and to keep ahead of it easily. The Fischer I honestly found challenging and had to make a concerted effort to stay on top of things. (Could have been the conditions. Or my condition that day.) I was on the AM 77 @ 170cm and the Curv @ 168.
I was on my AM77 in 177 and the The Curv in 175. I'm also quite a bit heavier than you so that may play into the way the Fischer felt. I can bend it just by standing on it! :roflmao:

switters

Booting up
Skier
The SkiEssentials review of the 2022 Curv GT seems to align with what is written here. They see it as a hard charger, but versatile enough to bend into different turn shapes. They even said they thought it would be popular with ski instructors for this reason. It seems like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. I like that it's not super narrow (76 underfoot), because I'm in UT and the ski is generally soft here. A little extra width provides more stability, especially in variable conditions. And the 175 cm / 16 m radius is right in the sweet spot for me. I'm tall and thin, almost 6'3 and about 170 lbs

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The SkiEssentials review of the 2022 Curv GT seems to align with what is written here.
I am SO out of phase with some of these impressions on Fischer frontside models. One of the Ski Essentials reviewers said,

I found the 86 GT to be a heavier, more solid ski--mostly due to the thicker metal, while the Curv was quicker edge to edge, with a lighter feel and performance.
Huh? I skied both skis on the same day in the same length. I found exactly the opposite of what this person reported. Makes me wonder if s/he spent too much time reading the catalog and not enough time skiing.

To be clear, Ski Essentials has done well by me. And I thought both of the Fischer skis were very good and well tuned. But the Curv is WAY more ski than the 86 GT

switters

Booting up
Skier
Having never been on any of these skis, I'm just confused!

I was first interested in the original (17/18 - 20/21) RC4 The Curv, which Blister has reviewed several times and really loves. But I couldn't find a pair, so I started looking at the refreshed 21/22 models.

But now I've found a new (unused) 20/21 RC4 The Curv in the length I want that I can get a pretty good discount. I want this ski to be a dedicated carver with maximum edge hold, responsiveness, and performance. Given this, I'm assuming the RC4 The Curv (20/21) is a better option than any of the 21/22 models?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Curv M/O is the 70 mm counterpart to the GT, I beleive it was only intended for Europe this year but I am guessing some snuck into the US. It has the flat plate so it accomodates the Z binding. The Curv M/O is in the 2023 US catalog so expect a review upcoming. I hope to have a pair in our Long Term Test fleet but that might tough with the focus being on the all new Ranger skis.

Last edited by a moderator:

switters

Booting up
Skier
So I guess they reduced the waist width of The Curv for 2022? The previous model was 74 mm. That’s the one I found at the shop that is new but either 19/20 or 20/21.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am SO out of phase with some of these impressions on Fischer frontside models. One of the Ski Essentials reviewers said,

Huh? I skied both skis on the same day in the same length. I found exactly the opposite of what this person reported. Makes me wonder if s/he spent too much time reading the catalog and not enough time skiing.

To be clear, Ski Essentials has done well by me. And I thought both of the Fischer skis were very good and well tuned. But the Curv is WAY more ski than the 86 GT

This is absolutely true. You have it right.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I guess they reduced the waist width of The Curv for 2022? The previous model was 74 mm. That’s the one I found at the shop that is new but either 19/20 or 20/21.
The Curv has been a collection, GT, DTS ... .

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

2022 Curv series skis are completely redesigned. From 2017 to 2021 the series only received NGT.

switters

Booting up
Skier
Right. I was referring to the 2017-2021 "RC4 The Curv (Booster)", which Blister reviewed here. That had a 74 mm waist. My impression was that the 2022 RC4 The Curv M/O is the replacement for that ski, but it has a 70 mm waist. So that's what I meant by "they reduced the waist width to 70 mm".

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Right. I was referring to the 2017-2021 "RC4 The Curv (Booster)", which Blister reviewed here. That had a 74 mm waist. My impression was that the 2022 RC4 The Curv M/O is the replacement for that ski, but it has a 70 mm waist. So that's what I meant by "they reduced the waist width to 70 mm".

You're correct. That is the "replacement" for the original The Curv Curv Booster (yes, it's mouthful). I use the term replacement loosely here, because there's not much the same between them.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The Curv GT has fast become my favorite <85mm waist ski ever. It is my preferred tool for CO if I'm mostly skiing groomers. It has power and precision and just begs for more as you load it up.

This is the 2021 version in action. Come along for the ride and enjoy a beautiful CO morning...

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Curv GT has fast become my favorite <85mm waist ski ever. It is my preferred tool for CO if I'm mostly skiing groomers. It has power and precision and just begs for more as you load it up.

This is the 2021 version in action. Come along for the ride and enjoy a beautiful CO morning...

Wow. Talk about a perfect cruiser run.

PS FWIW I did have to log in with my MS account to see that.

Sponsor