• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Ford Maverick

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
My memories of Maveriks aren't all that great. I remember one for sale for $100 in 1996, and that was overpriced. There were a few V8 Mavericks at the dragstrip, and one in particular that cruised around downtown Boise with a tunnel ram sticking out of the hood in the early 80's.

About a foot shorter than a Ranger, and mostly less bed. An odd niche, but the hybrid mileage is impressive. My son bought a new Ranger about a year ago, and loves it. He agonized over the Ranger vs Tacoma choice forever before pulling the trigger on the Ranger.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, those that remember the original Maverick are not the demographics they are going for, yet IMHO will be a segment that will be buying it a la the fore mentioned Honda Element.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Looks like 4WD won't come with the hybrid engine option. Seems rude....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My guess is the AWD/4WD was just a bit too much drag/weight and penalty for the smaller motor...but they do have it on the Bronco Sport's smaller 1.3L...so really no idea.

Pricing though is verrry aggressive, $31K and change for a Lariat they way I spec'ed it? Pretty damn good.

The aftermarket will be huge for these.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
There were a few V8 Mavericks at the dragstrip,
Yeah, I remember that. Didn't the Mavericks usually eat the Vegas' dust? Seemed like the best use for both cars. I expect they'll have more success with the name this round.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Don't remember the Vega's being much sexier than the Mavericks. Of course it was always easier and cheaper to build a small block Chevy with some serious grunt than a Ford (and Mopar speed parts cost about twice more than Chevys). Vega's did have that oddball Cosworth engine for a few years (thanks to John DeLorean).

If Ford was going to dredge up an old name, for this truck it should have been Ranchero. Both were truck-like, but were unibody, not framed. The 2022 Maverick is built on the same platform as the Escape. Wake me up when they come up with a Raptor Maverick.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My guess is the AWD/4WD was just a bit too much drag/weight and penalty for the smaller motor...but they do have it on the Bronco Sport's smaller 1.3L...so really no idea.

Pricing though is verrry aggressive, $31K and change for a Lariat they way I spec'ed it? Pretty damn good.

The aftermarket will be huge for these.
Yes the price point is appealing but also makes me a bit leery. I remember other vehicles in the past that managed to underprice their competition and Ford has had some serious quality issues in the past on their entry level offerings. :huh:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes the price point is appealing but also makes me a bit leery. I remember other vehicles in the past that managed to underprice their competition and Ford has had some serious quality issues in the past on their entry level offerings. :huh:
In watching a few of the videos I did see some typical Ford shortcomings like the materials on the seat backs and under the hood.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't really have much much of an opinion on the vehicle itself but I hate the name which ranks right up there with the Mustang Mach E.

This is more what I picture when someone says Ford Maverick.
Maverickracewheelie-800.jpg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
In watching a few of the videos I did see some typical Ford shortcomings like the materials on the seat backs and under the hood.
I'm less concerned with those type of cost cutting measures than the ones you can't see.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
No way I'd get one without at least a 5y/60K warranty with full dealership service, and hidden cost cutting is the reason why.

Who's getting them for rentals?
I would want to drive one with with some miles on it and see how it held up. Remember the Dodge Neon? They thought designing it using significantly fewer fasteners than other cars was a good way to reduce costs. :nono:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I would want to drive one with with some miles on it and see how it held up. Remember the Dodge Neon? They thought designing it using significantly fewer fasteners than other cars was a good way to reduce costs. :nono:

Not intimately familiar - too busy dealing with the ever-failing Saturn transmission pins :(

Reactions: Ogg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I remember that. Didn't the Mavericks usually eat the Vegas' dust? Seemed like the best use for both cars. I expect they'll have more success with the name this round.

Both cars were shite, but think the Vega was xtra shite. And I grew up in a GM household; Ford was a four letter word. Vegas were falling apart and rusting right out of the factory--what a shame.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ford's marketing/design team is on crack. First, they release a 4-door "Mustang" electric car that looks nothing like a Mustang... then they release the "Bronco Sport" which is a lame way to refresh the Escape and goofy as can be - before the actual Bronco ... and now a retread of the Honda Ridgeline when they could have just dropped a hybrid engine in the Ranger. And no AWD with the hybrid? Even the Prius has AWD. :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online