• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Ford Maverick

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was more a Pinto vs. Vega war for the battle of the basement.
We had this but in chocolate brown. I think the older Vegas looked better than the newer ones with the slanted grill. I don't think it's a bad looking car. But it was NEPA and it rusted away. Quickly. It gave way to a Mazda RX3 wagon. Rotary, baby!
images.jpeg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
We had this but in chocolate brown. I think the older Vegas looked better than the newer ones with the slanted grill. I don't think it's a bad looking car. But it was NEPA and it rusted away. Quickly. It gave way to a Mazda RX3 wagon. Rotary, baby!
View attachment 135477

Yes the egg crate grill was SO much better looking than the louvers. In GT fastback trim with a (wait for it) 2 bbl carb and a manual 4sd it was decent fun. But the real VEGA fun started with a small block Chevy and corresponding 4 sd and rear end. Add some suspension upgrades and they were remarkable fun.
The low water mark for the Vega was when it was equiped with a 1bbl carb combined with a 2sd powerglide auto. That car couldn't spin the rear wheels on ice.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Don't forget ... this all-new Maverick is brought to us by the same people who had planned to release the new Bronco on OJ's birthday.

I hope their ads end with "Hurry on over to your local dealer". I'm thinking they did.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't think using the Maverick name was about nostalgia, More likely they thought it was a good name for a vehicle competing with the Renegade.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yes the egg crate grill was SO much better looking the the louvers. In GT fastback trim with a (wait for it) 2 bbl carb and a manual 4sd it was decent fun. But the real VEGA fun started with a small block Chevy and corresponding 4 sd and rear end. Add some suspension upgrades and they were remarkable fun.
The low water mark for the Vega was when it was equiped with a 1bbl carb combined with a 2sd powerglide auto. That car couldn't spin the rear wheels on ice.
I think the small block Vega was more fun in the imagination than in reality....

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think the small block Vega was more fun in the imagination than in reality....
You could probably build a faster one now with a junkyard truck motor than you could then with the best parts from Jegs or Summit.

James

Out There
Instructor
Will we get Vail and Alterra trims in pickups?
Jackson could be first.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I remember the Maverick as not that bad of a small car with the V6, reasobly reliable and reasonable gas milage. I never owned one, but knew someone who did. Trouble was there was precious little reason not to own a bigger car or a car with a more powerful engine.
Agree, that should not be called a Maverick. The new Mustang SUV should not be called a Mustang. I will admit that I totally was against calling a front wheel drive car an Impala too though. Damnit, names are supposed to mean something.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's called a station wagon! If only...
View attachment 135456

Can't get bikes in upright. Fail for us.

Dating myself, but the OG Maverick was a turd. My friend's parents 72-ish with a 302 was a stone. My GF's Chevette was actually more fun to drive. :geek:

Sponsor

Staff online