• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Gardening

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Spent the last couple weeks trying to save a young lemon tree. I think it’s going to work. Another couple weeks and it will be good to go outside (southeast).
6431979A-C07F-4B0F-BAEA-79B411E0DC56.jpeg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
It's that time of year ... when I need adult supervision. No, more like house arrest.

Yesterday I happened upon some poor wave petunias that needed care. Bought them. That triggered me to go out shopping for annuals. Bought a couple more. OK, it was 7 more.

Today I went to buy mulch. Only mulch. Nothing but mulch. When the mulch arrived at the car, it was greeted by "a couple of" annuals.

Between the singles and the multi-packs, I have 51 individual plants. I still need salvia. And coleus. And ....

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought annuals last weekend, so it snowed on Monday. Thankfully I wasn’t foolish enough to plant them yet, but one of our cars has been evicted from the garage so my annuals can relax indoors until next weekend when the overnight temperatures will be reliably above freezing.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's that time of year ... when I need adult supervision. No, more like house arrest.

Yesterday I happened upon some poor wave petunias that needed care. Bought them. That triggered me to go out shopping for annuals. Bought a couple more. OK, it was 7 more.

Today I went to buy mulch. Only mulch. Nothing but mulch. When the mulch arrived at the car, it was greeted by "a couple of" annuals.

Between the singles and the multi-packs, I have 51 individual plants. I still need salvia. And coleus. And ....
Under no circumstances will you be allowed to meet my wife.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe she already has . . .
Nah. I'm pretty sure if they'd met @VickyH would've mentioned her enabler friend who works at the local farm on Fridays and Saturdays just so she can get the best plants before the paying customers snap them all up.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nah. I'm pretty sure if they'd met @VickyH would've mentioned her enabler friend who works at the local farm on Fridays and Saturdays just so she can get the best plants before the paying customers snap them all up.
LOL, excellent point.

On a related note - how do I meet your wife to get the best plants?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
We were never able to have a garden in our yard because of the shade from a lot of trees. My wife has kept a garden plot at a community garden for years. After the February 2021 ice storm a huge oak tree toppled and took with a lot of scrubby trees. After a lot of money for clean up we now have a nice sunny area in the back.
206AFAD1-F1A7-4FA0-9B25-F8D689F30FA2.jpeg

2D1B2B50-EEAF-4E6B-85A7-1F40F5DA8A80.jpeg

I built the boxes, 4x8’, and then had the landscape guys set them and plumb water into them from the automatic sprinkler system. Now when we are away in the summer everything will be watered. The cage and netting are to keep the suburban deer out. So far we have been harvesting a lot of lettuce. Soon will be time to plant some tomatoes and other things.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A very late start to Spring around here.
3 years ago on this day, the grape leaves were the size of my hand; this year they are still only buds. No lilacs yet.
The local weatherman did a blurb last night that if it does not hit 70 degrees today it will be the latest since 1892.
The rhubarb is happy though.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got all of my annuals in - at least in the back yard. Our growing season is so short that I love the instant hit of colour from them. Our ski area puts out plastic flamingos for spring skiing, and teams up with a local high school wood shop program to make and sell wooden flamingos with the SSV logo on them, so we now have two flamingos to remind us of skiing all summer.

6E52E50E-2B36-44AF-B0A5-89459AB08950.jpeg

F34E1336-38B8-47D3-90E4-3B27D7429F9E.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been too busy this spring to post much. But here's two.

Azalea in full bloom:
1653929943178.png

Arbor I built earlier. This is in the back area of the property that is all wild honeysuckle, sumac and wild rose. I'm working on reclaiming some of it slowly. The wood for this arbor was all cut on my property from dead red cedar trees, and a few reclaimed pieces of cedar
from an old garden swing used as cross members.
1653930127281.png