• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Head Kore 93

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Some say Head is taking a big risk changing the immensely popular Kore 93Ti; I look at it the other way, Head would be taking a bigger risk resting on its laurels another year. The Kore 93 was one of the reference skis in this category, and deservedly so. It was light, playful, easy to ski, and even for an advanced charger, it performed well. So what's not to like? Why fix what wasn’t broken?

The Kore 93 was not broken, but the armour was tarnished and dented, its age and shortcomings started to show. The target on the Kore's back got bigger and other skis started hitting it, so Head fought back. It sent the entire Kore series to the gym and while the ski got more toned, stronger, and with more pop. The new Kore 93 feels like a better ski without losing what its followers grew accustomed to.

Insider tip: Don’t get hung up on the numbers, the only ski that is 93 underfoot is the longest length. The new 7cm increments put fewer skiers between sizes.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who got bored with their old Kore 93 should give this one a chance.
Who is it not for?
Bigger, stronger skiers still might want more.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 163, 170. 177, 184
Dimensions
133-93-115
Radius
16.4m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It sent the entire Kore series to the gym and while the ski got more toned, stronger, and with more pop. The new Kore 93 feels like a better ski without losing what its followers grew accustomed to.
Any insight into how they achieved the changes? More or less Graphene, fiberglass, Koroyd or ???

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any insight into how they achieved the changes? More or less Graphene, fiberglass, Koroyd or ???
Does it really matter? I really like mine but would be interested to try the new ones. I find it particularly interesting that the new ones seem to lean more to "finesse" than the previous ones. I think a lot of what I like is driving them hard so I hope the new one hasn't been dulled in that regard.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Does it really matter? I really like mine but would be interested to try the new ones. I find it particularly interesting that the new ones seem to lean more to "finesse" than the previous ones. I think a lot of what I like is driving them hard so I hope the new one hasn't been dulled in that regard.
For a guy that use to sell skis and always enjoyed the PK (product knowlege) sessions with the ski reps, the answer is yes it does matter, or more correctly, it use to. ogsmile

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
For a guy that use to sell skis and always enjoyed the PK (product knowlege) sessions with the ski reps, the answer is yes it does matter, or more correctly, it use to. ogsmile
I love to know the whys and hows but these days the answers you usually get are marketing BS anyway. At this point I just really want to know it works and I'll like it.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Koroyd is gone. Sidewalls are champhored. Tail laminate protector is no longer metal, but still very durable. I've skied both the 177 and 184 Kore 93. I really enjoyed the 177, enough so that it would be a great compliment for someone who loves their eMagnum/eRally in the same length. The 184 I skied was an early production issue that had a flat spot in the chamber in one ski and the tune wasn't very good. Another pair is being sent to me in October.

They're really interesting skis and excellent for someone who can access both finesse and power. I was shocked at how well the 177's skied. They seem to flex a bit essier/rounder than the outgoing Kore 93's, but aren't 'weaker'. Really really fun in bumps and crud bumps while still railing on firm piste. I'd love to take out an 87. The new size splits are great IMHO.

(Full disclosure, I have a relationship with Head/Tyrolia, but most certainly am ecumenical about reviewing and recommending gear from every manufacturer.)

Last edited:

DeerValleyPhil

Booting up
Skier
Koroyd is gone. Sidewalls are chambered. Tail laminate protector is no longer metal, but still very durable. I've skied both the 177 and 184 Kore 93. I really enjoyed the 177, enough so that it would be a great compliment for someone who loves their eMagnum/eRally in the same length. The 184 I skied was an early production issue that had a flat spot in the chamber in one ski and the tune wasn't very good. Another pair is being sent to me in October.

They're really interesting skis and excellent for someone who can access both finesse and power. I was shocked at how well the 177's skied. They seem to flex a bit essier/rounder than the outgoing Kore 93's, but aren't 'weaker'. Really really fun in bumps and crud bumps while still railing on firm piste. I'd love to take out an 87. The new size splits are great IMHO.

(Full disclosure, I have a relationship with Head/Tyrolia, but most certainly am ecumenical about reviewing and recommending gear from every manufacturer.)
Regarding your enjoyment of the 177s, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? Are you weight proportionate? (How's that for a nice way of asking?) Thanks.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Regarding your enjoyment of the 177s, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? Are you weight proportionate? (How's that for a nice way of asking?) Thanks.

5'11" #205 in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. That's me in the green pants in the avatar pict.

Last edited:

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Hey Phil, now there's some great deals on the outgoing model I am am tempted. To characterize the differences with the new model, which would you say is more suited for GS turns on hardpack?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey Phil, now there's some great deals on the outgoing model I am am tempted. To characterize the differences with the new model, which would you say is more suited for GS turns on hardpack?
I think new IS quieter thus better at making bigger turns on firm conditions but there are still limitiaitons that are based on it being 93 underfoot, it is not a GS ski.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I think new IS quieter thus better at making bigger turns on firm conditions but there are still limitiaitons that are based on it being 93 underfoot, it is not a GS ski.
Yes agree, the 87 would be of more interest on hardpack. So better dampness than the outgoing model I guess. Would the outgoing still be a buy at the right price or definitely outclassed?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes agree, the 87 would be of more interest on hardpack. So better dampness than the outgoing model I guess. Would the outgoing still be a buy at the right price or definitely outclassed?
One of the shortcomings of the outgoing models was the sizing and some people fell inbetween sizes, if the old models sizing works for you, get them.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
One of the shortcomings of the outgoing models was the sizing and some people fell inbetween sizes, if the old models sizing works for you, get them.

Exactly. If you want a GS'y feel in the old model, size up. The 189 Kore 99 is a very different critter than the 180.

Sponsor