• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Head Kore 97 W

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: When Head decided to shake up the KORE lineup by tweaking the name and changing the construction, they took this ski to the next level. The name change refers to the waist width at the reference size of 170; that width is scaled proportionally with the length. But the construction change is where it really counts. Head describes the new construction of the women's lineup as a lightweight ski with backbone, and that's what they delivered.

I had a chance to ski this on two different occasions at Squaw. The first time was on firm morning groomers. Although these aren't conditions that I'd expect a ski of this width or lithe construction to shine, the ski held up and maintained an edge with confidence. The second time I skied the KORE 97 W was on a warmer day with spring-like conditions, which is where its crud-busting chops were really brought to life. Lightweight ski with a backbone, indeed.

Insider tip: This ski and the Power Joy would make a great two ski quiver​

Who is it for?
A woman looking for a crud-busting daily driver
Who is it not for?
A delicate flower
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 163, 170, 177
Dimensions
131-97-118
Radius
15.3m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Hey Tricia, mrs Maxwerks is thinking of getting a Kore 87. There's great prices on the outgoing model, so we're a bit torn whether to grab a bargain or splurge on the new model. To understand the differences I've been reading up reviews. Impression I get is that the old model is stiffer and less forgiving. Which of the two would you say is better suited for GS turns on hardpack?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I'm a bit surprised that you asked this question under the KORE 97 W instead of the KORE 91 W, the Head KORE 87 more closely aligned with the 91 W.
That being said, I feel like the new version is a bit damper, thus quieter on hard pack and more stable at speed. The reality is, the new KORE 91 W does pretty well, but if I were ripping GS turns on groomers, I'd probably pick something narrower under foot.
If you're looking for a one ski quiver, then the KORE 91 W is a fine choice and a bit better than its predicessor.

Sponsor