• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Head Supershape e-Rally

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Rally has been the SkiTalk.com weapon of choice from the Supershape collection since it was introduced two generations ago. It has the shape of the Magnum for fun short turns and some of the girth of the Titan for versatility and float -- what's not to like? It was the best of both with little compromise. It was a winner with skiers, and retailers loved it because it flew off the racks. Again, what's not to like? But is there a kink in the armor? A tarnish to the shine? Nope. It is still a great ski, and IMHO the best of the past two generations. The e-Rally has the easy of the round tipped and tail previous ski and the purpose of the past square-tailed version without compromising either. There is an ease again but not at the loss of power. A tough balance to retain, yet Head found a way.

Insider tip: Like the past generation, size down.​

Drahtguy Kevin: The middle child in the Supershape series, the eRally performs admirably at variable speeds. Tip engagement is improved over the most recent offerings in this ski. The new eRally floats between long and short turns without hesitation and while maintaining the same secure feel Head is known for.

Insider tip: Don’t get locked into a length – more than one size may work for you.​

Awards
Who is it for?
You might be on your second Rally, and you will be happy with your third.
Who is it not for?
Those looking for a one-trick-pony; this ski is versatile. Those who want quick edge-to-edge performance.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 163, 170, 177
Dimensions
132-78-114
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This is an incredibly fun, versatile 'frontside' ski that can be led outside its design brief making it an ideal ski for anyone looking for their first sub 80mm carver that won't kick them in the teeth when their ski buddies decide to ski the whole mountain. The eRally is a bit stronger (and a smidge wider with a wee longer turn radius than the iRally. IMHO, this is great news for stronger, slightly heavier skiers who apply both power and finesse to their skiing. Taking your PSIA or CSIA L2 or L3 exam? This will perform all tasks with precision and sort out all the uncertain mixed conditions you're going to meet. It is not a FIS SL ski or a beer league race board, but so what? Lean back and wiggle? No. Tip up and giggle? Yep. You're home. If you're looking to replace your older 80mm iTitan, the eRally is your ski.

Last edited:

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes a great ride and just a blast to ski

AdkBill

Booting up
Skier
Got my 163 e-Rallys last February and they made me focus on becoming a more accurate skier. They showed me that I could tip farther than I ever had before - and that the G forces I could generate could be a real workout, more than with skis in the past. They seemed to help me get onto the new ski earlier in the turn, well before the fall line.
However, at speed they felt nervous when flat; steadier and more predictable on edge. So I tried detuning the tips & tails a little bit, and that seemed to calm them down without killing the cornering. At only 150 #s, maybe a heavier skier would have different experience. Overall I like them very much but can’t get lazy on them like my old Elans.
One nit: the tails are so wide that they don’t fit into some old gondola racks.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
That must be an old gondola! :)

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been on the lookout for a narrower ski and skied the e-Rally for a day recently. I have to say, the hype is real!

Any thoughts on sizing? I skied the 170 (I'm 6', 195) and it felt pretty solid so leaning towards that. Plan on using the ski when working on technique, and also when cruising with friends on groomer days. I have my Brahmas (180) if I want to blast at high speed, although even at 170 the Rally seemed pretty capable.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been on the lookout for a narrower ski and skied the e-Rally for a day recently. I have to say, the hype is real!

Any thoughts on sizing? I skied the 170 (I'm 6', 195) and it felt pretty solid so leaning towards that. Plan on using the ski when working on technique, and also when cruising with friends on groomer days. I have my Brahmas (180) if I want to blast at high speed, although even at 170 the Rally seemed pretty capable.
I have the the eRally in a 170. I'm similar to your dimensions - 5'10-ish and 186 pounds. Excellent technique ski. Enjoy

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
This ski is on my shortlist as a replacement for my Racetiger SL UVO (non fis SL) as I am no longer coaching.
I'm kinda between the Rally, the Deacon pro and the MX75.
185lb expert, 6'1" and 51 yrs younge. Want some real frontside chops but with more mixed snow versitility than my SL ski. Something decent in bumps and off piste
I'm only worried its a bit of a training wheel like initiaton experience with that big shovel. The 137mm tip earlier version was aweful for someone used FIS Head, Kastle MX's but I loved the same cunstruction in the iSpeed, which has far less taper, it was awesome and could do any turn shape and be run flat without worrying about losing your ACL.
Probably should just stick with Kastle or Volkl but input from owners or ski demo gods welcome!!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The eRally tip shape isn't at all like the i-Rally. The e skis very nicely off piste.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
The eRally tip shape isn't at all like the i-Rally. The e skis very nicely off piste.
Cheers Mark! Appreciate the feedback as I would def be hoping to enjoy the off piste and not worry about a super hooky tip

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Cheers Mark! Appreciate the feedback as I would def be hoping to enjoy the off piste and not worry about a super hooky tip
FWIW, I did our divisional staff tryouts on them in about 6" of mank. Made'm go well enough, never felt wanting for something more or wider that day.

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone,
I am an advanced-level skier preparing for CSIA Level 2 instructor exam. 170cm, 68kg. I'm currently using Head V10 163cm, which is pretty nice and versatile. Now I am looking forward to an upgrade for more aggressive carving. (Well, perhaps I'll keep both of them for different conditions and terrains, if it makes sense.) I really love the appearance and technology of e-rally, kinda like a no-brainer choice for me. However I'm struggling with length since I don't have a chance to do a test run. I'm wondering which one fits me better, 163cm or 170cm? My skiing pattern would be 70% on groomers, 30% on powders/moguls/glades. When carving on groomers, 50-80 kph would be the speed that I'm comfortable with. Which size would you recommend? If you could compare e-rally with V10, that would be best. Thank you!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hi everyone,
I am an advanced-level skier preparing for CSIA Level 2 instructor exam. 170cm, 68kg. I'm currently using Head V10 163cm, which is pretty nice and versatile. Now I am looking forward to an upgrade for more aggressive carving. (Well, perhaps I'll keep both of them for different conditions and terrains, if it makes sense.) I really love the appearance and technology of e-rally, kinda like a no-brainer choice for me. However I'm struggling with length since I don't have a chance to do a test run. I'm wondering which one fits me better, 163cm or 170cm? My skiing pattern would be 70% on groomers, 30% on powders/moguls/glades. When carving on groomers, 50-80 kph would be the speed that I'm comfortable with. Which size would you recommend? If you could compare e-rally with V10, that would be best. Thank you!
163 cm or 170 cm, depending on the size of your local hill. If more that 350' vertical, 170. If less than 300' vertical,163. If in between 300' and 350' vertical, flip a coin...I would lean to 170, but that's just me.

I'm 68 kg, 5'9" and usually ski a 165 Fischer WC SC on a tiny 250' vertical hill, but I have other skis too.

Edit: to add I skied the i-rally in a 170 length. There is a difference.
https://gigiski.com/old-vs-new-head-supershape-i-e-rally/ It's also relevant information to know a little about the reviewer and where they ski. i.e. if you weight 68 kg and ski on hardpack Ontario snow, you might want to know if the reviewer skis on the same snow and weighs the same as you do.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, for what the eRally does, I'd say 163. There's really no reason to ski a ski like this any longer than necessary. It's a fun, versatile carver, not an all mountain charger. It'll be a great exam ski for you, but for L2, your V10 should be fine. The Rally will feel more solid, have better edge grip, and be completely happy making multiple turn shapes and doing exam tasks. The question really isn't about speed, but accuracy, and the 163 should serve that end better than a 170.
Watch the factory base grind. If it's too aggressive, don't hesitate to have them prepped and re-ground at your shop.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
163 cm or 170 cm, depending on the size of your local hill. If more that 350' vertical, 170. If less than 300' vertical,163. If in between 300' and 350' vetical, flip a coin...I would lean to 170, but that's just me.

I'm 68 kg, 5'9" and usually ski a 165 Fischer WC SC on a tiny 250' vertical hill, but I have other skis too.

It's about the OP wanting an exam ski, not us. Sorry for the tough love, but this has gotten 'epically' problematic on ski talk of late, and diminishes the value of the general site content.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi everyone,

Won't really need an aggressive carving ski for CSIA L2. Have a read of the criteria for the assessed skiing - available on the web site. Will be much more useful for L3.

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Won't really need an aggressive carving ski for CSIA L2. Have a read of the criteria for the assessed skiing - available on the web site. Will be much more useful for L3.
Thank you! I agree. V10 should be decent enough for L2. I think I should leave e-rally in my cart and wait for a discount. It's currently out of stock in pro deal:(

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
FWIW, for what the eRally does, I'd say 163. There's really no reason to ski a ski like this any longer than necessary. It's a fun, versatile carver, not an all mountain charger. It'll be a great exam ski for you, but for L2, your V10 should be fine. The Rally will feel more solid, have better edge grip, and be completely happy making multiple turn shapes and doing exam tasks. The question really isn't about speed, but accuracy, and the 163 should serve that end better than a 170.
Watch the factory base grind. If it's too aggressive, don't hesitate to have them prepped and re-ground at your shop.
Thank you! I think I'll go with 163. To tell the truth... The reason I want to upgrade is not rational.:doh: I'm so attracted to e-rally's appearance design, and its specification happens to fit me lol.

Sponsor