• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Inline skating thread.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
it's not like I trust my outside edges much to begin with. But I definitely don't trust them in autumn. Way too easy to get deflected when gliding on that outside edge.

View attachment 181398
You'd be surprised how much of that is related to the skate you're on (even with that higher cuff) ... there is a reason some spend $$$$ on full custom boots

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I ‘have’ a double push, which is less efficient than my single push.

I only fiddle around with it in the best of conditions, not in fall

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Been a while since I skated the 202 trail (Rt 63, 309 on out to Doylestown), but I recall it was an open landscape thus always clean and free of organic debris. Could be worth checking out if you don't mind an intersection ~ every mile.

My friends won't drive from the city to 202 trail, heck they don't like meeting at SRT Spring Mill Station either and I'm not a big fan of SRT to begin with. I plan to continue with MLK Drive but on the paved pedestrian path and adding a few extra laps of the 2.4 mile RT loop of closed road from Sweetbriar to Spring Garden St bridge since we haven't heard anything about MLK drive continuing to be closed to traffic on weekends Nov - March.
-I still need to skate the 202 trail for the first time. I don't mind intersections, but intersections at the bottom of hills would annoy me for sure: all that wasted momentum for nothing. Might be worth a try just to skate something that's dry.

-Another plan is to lap the power line section of the SRT north of Norristown to the wooded section entering Valley Forge. It dries out nicely there.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-I still need to skate the 202 trail for the first time. I don't mind intersections, but intersections at the bottom of hills would annoy me for sure: all that wasted momentum for nothing. Might be worth a try just to skate something that's dry.

-Another plan is to lap the power line section of the SRT north of Norristown to the wooded section entering Valley Forge. It dries out nicely there.
I used to start 202 trail at the lot off of 309 across from Buckmans Ski shop, skate out to doylestown from there. Plan on doing the run twice, it's not that long mileage wise. Is possible to continue on roads into the town of doylestown, I was tempted to try, never did.
The outbound hill along 202 by Costco Drive is a PITA if you don't like wasting urathane on T stops and there are a couple places with a short trail drop to intersection but not to terrible, nothing like the SRT up down and under the bridge roundabout by the smelly waste water treatment plant or the criminal blind curve to drop to dead end of SRT into Shawmount Ave.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
…. I have bought a broom with detatchable brush and telescoping handle…. It’s not made of carbon like those fancy bouldering brushes but it will strap on the pack…

The neighbors will think I am crazy (if they don’t already), still, I insist, I am nothing like this guy:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
…. I have bought a broom with detatchable brush and telescoping handle…. It’s not made of carbon like those fancy bouldering brushes but it will strap on the pack…

The neighbors will think I am crazy (if they don’t already), still, I insist, I am nothing like this guy:

See, I think you could still go all Halloween with this. A push broom and some Norwegian curling team pants...

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The nice thing about having hobbies that society thinks are a bit odd, is that there is no further explanation needed when you add that next element.

Explanation? You think I'm providing explanation? Have you seen Norwegian curling team pants :D ;) ?

Never mind explanation...go for gobsmacked astoundment!

#sportsLARP

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Explanation? You think I'm providing explanation? Have you seen Norwegian curling team pants :D ;) ?

Never mind explanation...go for gobsmacked astoundment!

#sportsLARP
gotcha
IMG_3584.jpeg

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what is this "double push" of which you speak? I started researching this and came up with this website which it seems will take me only 9 steps to learn how ......
I played around today but not sure this is going to be a goal......

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did you send it?

No. And it's not for the reason you think.

I started to go up that hill and realised the one flaw with a deep mat of leaves on a trail like that (fenced drop off on the left and wall on the right).

Have you guessed it yet?

That's right. Everyone and their brother's dog used that section to do their business.

And they figured "Oh, hey, leaves are like grass, right?" and just left it there.

I said screw that, went back and took my bike out and went down the rock trail to the left.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So what is this "double push" of which you speak? I started researching this and came up with this website which it seems will take me only 9 steps to learn how ......
I played around today but not sure this is going to be a goal......

That's actually a good guide but will only teach you the fast variant. It won't be useable until you go fast, like 14mph+

The one I use on wet and slidey trails only goes to hip width wide, both feet are on the trail (no lifted foot glide) and it's usable down to 6mph.

It's basically forward-stroke crazy legs except crazy legs keeps the edges opposite to each other \ / whereas I match edges and alternate (one push is // the next is \\ ) .

Advantages are that
- you push, dynamically, with both skates (no wasting time with single foot kicks)
- neither skate is further away from your midline than hip width, so can be fully pressured
- neither skate leaves the ground so leaf slip under the stance leg doesn't cause a lurching save (or a groin pull)

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
No. And it's not for the reason you think.

I started to go up that hill and realised the one flaw with a deep mat of leaves on a trail like that (fenced drop off on the left and wall on the right).

Have you guessed it yet?

That's right. Everyone and their brother's dog used that section to do their business.

And they figured "Oh, hey, leaves are like grass, right?" and just left it there.
My first guess was a lack of traction.

That's... not ideal....

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's actually a good guide but will only teach you the fast variant. It won't be useable until you go fast, like 14mph+

The one I use on wet and slidey trails only goes to hip width wide, both feet are on the trail (no lifted foot glide) and it's usable down to 6mph.

It's basically forward-stroke crazy legs except crazy legs keeps the edges opposite to each other \ / whereas I match edges and alternate (one push is // the next is \\ ) .

Advantages are that
- you push, dynamically, with both skates (no wasting time with single foot kicks)
- neither skate is further away from your midline than hip width, so can be fully pressured
- neither skate leaves the ground so leaf slip under the stance leg doesn't cause a lurching save (or a groin pull)
I didn't watch his video, but what you describe sounds like a classic push with some weird angles? With no "S" under-push, it is not a double push.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Any video of that 2 footed technique? sounds like generating speed from turns (with quick pivot) but I may misunderstand

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Double push explained:

34mph top speed solo on flat ground (typical for the Pro's), my top speed doing that is 22mph

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid