• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Kästle FX96 W

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: This ski is proof that being a little fat is en vogue. As you can imagine, the FX96 W is designed to take you off piste, play in the powder, and slay big lines. Can the 96 carve when you need to? Absolutely, but it really shines when you get off the groomed. I had the opportunity to ski it twice, both of which served up some challenging snow that ranged from leftover chopped powder to heavy snow. The FX96 W handled these conditions very well.

Insider tip: Lightweight and powerful, what more could a girl want?​

Awards
Who is it for?
Someone looking for a premium freeride ski.
Who is it not for?
A woman who sticks to the groomers.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 164, 172
Dimensions
133-96-119
Radius
14m@164cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Ski Weight:
1700g
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: After a big dump in the Sierra, this ski was put through some laps at our local ski area, between me and @Lauren.
We took turns, frankly because both of us were having fun, further proving that a ski with a 96 waist can have enough float to keep you from sinking and enough umph to power through the cut up chop. The tip on the FX 96W is a little deceiving because it flexes and feels light and lively, but when you're skiing it on the heavier snow and groomers, it remains calm and damp, inspiring the confidence to keep you going all day long.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
20211229_103854.jpg
Long term update:
What a crazy week its been with several feet of snow, resort closures, road closures and finally openings that served up some deep deep snow. The past few days the snow was deep enough and fluffy enough that a bit wider ski was optimal, but today was a day when we weren't quite sure if the leftover freshies were going to be soft or wind scoured. Turns out we had a mix of a little bit of both, along with firm bumps under a little bit of fresh snow, wind rows and the dreaded flat light. I picked the right ski for the day with the FX 96W. As I noted in previous LTUs, this ski is extremely stable and confidence inspiring. This held true today in flat light, which is one thing that can shake my confidence.

I took the Kästle FX96 W in some wind blown bumps, goomers with some fresh creamy snow, and even found a few accidental wind rows. She slayed all of it with a calmness that I've grown to count on with a Kästle, even when the accidental wind row threw me into a compression, but the Kästle FX96W didn't throw me down, she held her own and kept me cruising down the slopes. This is a great ski for a day like this when conditions are variable and you want to be prepared for anything. It doesn't hurt that she's beautiful.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: Once again I had a surprise snow day with cold fresh snow, some untracked and some chopped up blower powder over firm base. This is the kind of ski that rises to the occasion and gives an extra edge for the "not so bottomless" freshies and still has enough floatability to let you play in the powder.
I had the chance to ski some steep pitches on this ski today and it was confidence inspiring and ready to play on demand.

@Tricia I am assuming you are on the 172? curious if you skied the 164 also? thanks!
Sorry I didnt see this earlier. No I have not skied it in the 163 but I will if I get a chance.

Sponsor