• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Kästle PX81

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Kästle PX81 is the modern incarnation of the original LX82. Where the LX82 was a really nice mid-range carver, the PX81 takes that thought and steps it up not just one but two notches. Yet, it still knows its place in the Kästle hierarchy, which is below the MX84 and even the updated FX86 Ti.

The sizing is dead on. The first day I skied the 172 at Waterville and was so intrigued that I went back and skied the 179, which was just as easy and just as much fun. The PX81 is the value-priced Kästle that you should be proud to ski. On-snow performance was smooth, and turn initiation from the oversized Hollowtech 3.0 tip was smooth and reactive. The only downside I found is that the tip is a bit noisy on the snow; it can resonate like a snare drum. Every brand slips a sleeper into its line that punches above its weight class: this is Kastle's offering.
Insider tip: If you are between sizes, go down; it will still hold for you.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who want a Kästle but don’t need the power of an MX, or even an FX.
Who is it not for?
Stronger, more powerful skiers. Don't worry, there are still the MX and FX.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
151, 158, 165, 172, 179
Dimensions
132-81-107
Radius
13.8m@170cm
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Ski Weight:
1685g w/binding
Binding options
  1. System
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
B3C3EE9A-4099-42F4-AFBC-384D7C33DCF0_1_201_a.jpeg

Long term update: Both @Andy Mink and I skied the new PX81 at Mt. Rose today in ideal zoomer groomer condtions. While I would have been happy with this ski in a 172 or 179, When offered, I chose the 172 for our test fleet because it is a ski that, IMHO, if you were to choose between two lengths, I would usually grab the shorter of two offerings and in this case it would be the 172cm.

At $749 with the Tyrolia based K11 PRD it skis well above it's price point. No, the PX does not pretent to be an MX but it is a ski that stands and skis on it's own merits. The Hollowtech 3.0 might be a little more audible than I would prefer but that goes away and in barely heard over your giggles and your inner monolog constantly reminding you that a ski at this price point should not be this good.

IMG_6483.jpeg
Base finish out of the box is one of the better I have seen even in skis that are 50% more in price.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Both @Andy Mink and I skied the new PX81 at Mt. Rose today in ideal zoomer groomer condtions.
I skied this setup last season at a demo day for a few runs at Palisades and thought it was pretty good, especially hopping from the MX the run before. Today not only reinforced that thought but amplified it. It is deceptively easy to ski slowly and still get on edge but can be pushed faster when you wish to. There is a limit but it's further than you'd expect from a $749 package ski. The PX81 would be a really good ski for the advancing intermediate who is getting a feel for carved turns but doesn't want their ski to run out of steam as they get closer to the expert level. As @Philpug mentioned, there is some audible noise from the Hollowtech but it doesn't translate to any buzzy feel at the foot. The ski damps vibrations well while remaining lively.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Another day, another fun time on the PX81. Conditions at Mt. Rose are chalk, plus some groomer marbles in spots. The PX81 is not just a good $749 package ski, it's a damn good ski, period. I've noted my Hollowtechphobia but, really, it's not a deal breaker. The noise from the Hollowtech disappears as the wind whistles in your ears. With just a touch of tip rise, the PX81 is very polite when going across piles and lumps, preferring to go over rather than through them. This politeness belies the ability to hold an edge at speed, though there is a limit where a heavier skier can start to feel the tips start to get a bit overwhelmed, however nothing happens abruptly and it certainly doesn't cause a lot of concern. For those who need more high speed grip, see the MX series. In the trees the PX is light and quick on the chalky surface and pivots on and around the bumps. The PX81 is a comfortable pair of jeans, a friendly Highland single malt. It'll carry you through quite nicely until you're ready to step into a different category of front side skis. Kästle did their homework on this one. It's price point will draw skiers in and it's performance may well make them Kästle fan boys or girls.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

While I would have been happy with this ski in a 172 or 179, When offered, I chose the 172 for our test fleet because it is a ski that, IMHO, if you were to choose between two lengths, I would usually grab the shorter of two offerings and in this case it would be the 172cm.
imagejpeg_0.jpg
Since I tend to ski most carving skis in the mid 160s and big mountain or powder skis in the 170cm+ range, I took these out today at Mt Rose while skiing with the test team that included @Philpug @Andy Mink & @Stephen.

After reviewing skis for several years, I rarely shy away from skiing on skis in a variety of lengths even if they are outside of the norm for something I'd normally ski. Today was one of those days as I clicked into the Kästle PX81. We did our usual warm up runs at Mt Rose, which is always a good test for a new (to me) ski much like ordering chicken piccata at every new italian restaurant to see if it measures up to @Philpug's piccata. My first impressions were similar to the first impressions when I skied the FX96. There was a noise that resounded from this ski that implied vibration in the ski but I didn't feel it. When I dismissed the noise and just skied I enjoyed the smooth experience one would expect from a Kästle.
A full morning on this ski took me (and it) through a variety of terrain from scraped off firm, to chalky groomers, chalky bumps and unfriendly bumps. The PX81 handled every one of these conditions very well.

My take away: Even though Phil said he'd grab the shorter length, this ski in this length served me very well. Now I'm intrigued to try it in the 165 cm length.
I'm betting this is one of those skis that you can't go wrong when you choose a size.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update:

Since I tend to ski most carving skis in the mid 160s and big mountain or powder skis in the 170cm+ range, I took these out today at Mt Rose while skiing with the test team that included @Philpug @Andy Mink & @Stephen.

After reviewing skis for several years, I rarely shy away from skiing on skis in a variety of lengths even if they are outside of the norm for something I'd normally ski. Today was one of those days as I clicked into the Kästle PX81. We did our usual warm up runs at Mt Rose, which is always a good test for a new (to me) ski much like ordering chicken piccata at every new italian restaurant to see if it measures up to @Philpug's piccata. My first impressions were similar to the first impressions when I skied the FX96. There was a noise that resounded from this ski that implied vibration in the ski but I didn't feel it. When I dismissed the noise and just skied I enjoyed the smooth experience one would expect from a Kästle.
A full morning on this ski took me (and it) through a variety of terrain from scraped off firm, to chalky groomers, chalky bumps and unfriendly bumps. The PX81 handled every one of these conditions very well.

My take away: Even though Phil said he'd grab the shorter length, this ski in this length served me very well. Now I'm intrigued to try it in the 165 cm length.
I'm betting this is one of those skis that you can't go wrong when you choose a size.
Considering the skier weight and height difference between @Tricia, @Philpug, @Stephen, and myself, the PX81 skied well for all of us. It's not often a ski of one size can do that across an approximately 80# weight range and from 5'6" to 6'+ without feeling over or under skied.

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
Is there a shop in the Reno/Truckee area where I can demo this ski? Thus far, I haven’t found anyone who has it.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Bobos

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Bobos was the first place I checked... they don't carry this model.
Was yours a test sample from Kastle?
I believe @Philpug got this one from Kastle but he can confirm. He may also know if they're available at Blue Zone in Truckee.

Desaster

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Check the dealer search from their Hompage or reach out to Kästle USA directly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Bobos was the first place I checked... they don't carry this model.
Was yours a test sample from Kastle?
I believe @Philpug got this one from Kastle but he can confirm. He may also know if they're available at Blue Zone in Truckee.
Honestly I think the PX81 was overlooked by western dealers. In talking to Kastle's Mid Atlantic rep, it is one of their best sellers. (Bluezone does not carry it, I told the buyer but he missed on it).

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
Andy, thanks for directing me to Blue Zone Sports!
Philpug, thanks for the follow-up.
Here's the interesting point... the PX81 does not appear on the BlueZoneSports website but I stopped in at their Reno store for a different demo ski and GREAT SURPRISE they had multiple pairs and sizes of PX81 in stock. They don't normally demo this ski but they will double check since they had several pairs at 172cm.
If it skis as well for me as it does for everyone else, I hope to buy the demo.

I contacted Kastle in November asking why this ski isn't on their website. They replied that it's USA only, therefore not on the AT website.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's the interesting point... the PX81 does not appear on the BlueZoneSports website but I stopped in at their Reno store for a different demo ski and GREAT SURPRISE they had multiple pairs and sizes of PX81 in stock.
Tell them to tell Nate I said to let you demo the ski, If err when you like it, just buy the ski you demo.

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
After purchasing my current skis, I promised myself I wouldn't buy another pair of skis without a demo. I broke that promise on Wednesday.

With the reviews by Phil, Tricia, Andy, and many others I just got the Kästle PX81.

The sales associate (SA) at Blue Zone Sports in Reno checked with the manager and got a hard NO on a Kästle PX81 demo. The SA agreed that it was ironic that it's no problem to demo a $700 Blizzard Thunderbird Sport but absolutely not on the $750 Kästle PX81. So I decided to just buy it. Couldn't be happier! As an intermediate skier, it does everything I want and is forgiving of my mistakes. Still a quick ski even at 81 mm underfoot. Hoping for a long ski season this year!

Jim L

Putting on skis
Skier
I've skied this several times and still think it's an awesome ski.

Data, likely provided by Kästle, is off. I've seen the same numbers at several sites/reviews.
Radius: 13.8m@170cm - this ski isn't available in 170cm, the 172cm has a radius of 15.2m.
Ski Weight: 1685g w/binding - my pair felt heavy when I picked them up at the shop. ONE ski w/binding = 3130g

I don't notice the weight on my shoulder walking to the lift and certainly not on my feet when skiing.

Sponsor