• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Kästle ZX108

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The ZX108 is very similar to the old BMX skis but with a more modern shape. I was really hoping to spend more time on these back in the spring, but with the season being cut short, I was limited. What time I did get on them, I was impressed. This is a bargain-priced Kastle that does indeed ski at about its price point.

Long-term update: After having the ZX108 in some softer snow a few weeks back, I was finally able to get ski this all-new Kästle in some deeper Tahoe snow. We had recently received 5 ft of the deep white stuff at Mt Rose, and with the 108 being the widest option I had to ski, I was in luck. The ZX is as surfy as some others in this class that might have more tip and tail rise, but it does offer a level of playfulness that most narrow wide skis do not offer. The 108 worked very well in the heaver snow in the trees and handled the larger bumps that were starting to form. The 19.2m radius felt about dead on in that the ZX made some really nice medium-radius (medium for a 108) turns in the varied conditions. This new Kästle offers two personalities depending on the skier: it can be a finesse with power ski for a bigger ski or a playful charger for a lighter skier.​

Insider tip: This ski was born and bred in Jackson Hole. When someone asks what you paid for your Kästles, just reply, “If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me” and leave it at that.​
Drahtguy Kevin: Wanna dance? This new model is like no other I’ve been on. "Playful" is a word not often used to describe Kästle, but it works here. You still get a stable, smooth ride with a softer tip and flex. It absolutely snakes through moguls, trees, and other tight spots with ease. Tight, medium, and long turns are at the user’s beck and call. Soft crud and powder are favored conditions for the ZX, but not the only snow it excels in. And at well under a grand, this ski won’t break the bank.

Insider tip: This Kästle without a comma in the price is the real deal.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Value seekers. Want a One Oh Something that can handle the entire mountain? Look no further.
Who is it not for?
Groomer-only folks will miss the point.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
169, 179, 184, 191
Dimensions
140.5-108-129.5
Radius
19.2m@184cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: First things first. I don't have a lot of time on wider skis (very few occasions to need something over mid 90s), nor do I have a lot of time in literal feet of snow. With that out of the way, here are some thoughts.

I took the ZX108 to Mt. Rose after what can only be described as an epic snow event. If you are a skier and haven't heard about the massive quantities of snow the Tahoe area has received in the last week or so you really need to come out from under your rock. I found the ZX108 to be absolutely up to the task of making me feel comfortable in some spectacularly deep snow. With its early tip rise, almost flat camber, and a little bit of tail rise, the ZX flows easily over and around soft piles and provides ample float so I didn't feel like I was sinking too deep. In the trees there were lots of big wind whales that were easy to make last second adjustments around. The skis just worked really well in the deep conditions when I did my part and didn't spank me too hard when I got a bit tentative.

On the soft groomers the 108 made its width known; slow transitions and not driving too hard made for some enjoyable, easy carves. Push a little too hard and the ski could easily overpower the soft snow. I feel that, on firmer snow, the ZX has enough power to lay some pretty impressive tracks.

While I wouldn't personally choose a ski of this width as a daily driver, I could definitely see having the ZX108 as a deep day companion. Those who prefer a wide ski that doesn't require mach schnell speeds to work well should definitely take a gander at this one. It offers a smooth, calm, playful ride with enough backbone to keep all but the hardest chargers happy.

IMG_9169.jpeg

Slipping around one of the whales: compression, extension!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_6584.jpeg

Kastle skis dujour​

Long term update: I am not sure what "The Duuuuuude" would be in Austrian but the ZX108 definately is The Dude. Relaxed, easy, smooth and goes down the hill like a like a white russian. It was a great comparison skiing the ZX108 in the same conditions (along with a refresh of 6" of new snow) to the Augment AM108. Usually a Kastle-Augment comparision woudl be on an even playing field but not case with these two players. The ZX retails for less than $800 and the Augment stickers at almost double the ticket of the Kastle and it's not that the Kastle is a far inferior ski, it is just a completely different ski, and the first word that came to mind in the discription of the ZX was surfy hence calling it "The Dude".

The XZ's tip has just enough taper to be eased into a turn yet and smeared though and even with a flatter tail, it releases with ease. So easy and smooth to the points that @Andy Mink added above. The 184 ZX108 actually felt long (and wider) than the AM108 did in the 187. The ZX108 would be a great alternative to some of the mainstream options in this range like the Mindbender 108, Line Vision 108 or the Salomon QST 106.

Last edited by a moderator:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a new pair of these in 179, replacing my beloved Völkl 100Eights, and can echo all of the above. I was looking for a ski that's a leeeeeetle bit easier than my other 108 (mainly in trees). I have been skiing it in the Aspen area the past few days, which doesn't have quite the snow that Tahoe does, but 3 ft in the past three days has given us plenty to surf. Snow has been of the nice light December variety, so I cannot speak to anything junky or chunky, but these have been like butter: easy to turn, pivot, smear, whatever. They transition smoothly from deep to tracked (again, the snow quality has been lovely, so it's not the biggest test). There was no real adjustment period; I just started skiing and felt super comfortable. Thumbs up.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: these are the Andreas Lettenbichler of skis.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With a winter weather advisory forecast days ago, the wife and I lined up a day of speed dating 10somethings for today and the forecast delivered. Awoke to the mountain posting 11” of new and for those who’ve been to Big Sky know its usually under reported. Today was no exception, skiing more like 16-24”
First up for today was the Kastle 108s. It had been a while since I was on a pair, their HPs and had not tried any since the production / ownership had changed.
Out of the gate, I haven’t seen the wife ski with this much confidence in some time and that’s saying something for those who know her. A blizzard girl who is right at home everyday on the Black Pearl 98, now 97 in the 166 length. She decided on the 172, Her stats 135# 5’4” rips all terrain in all conditions with finesse, all the time. Me not so much finesse on the 184s off of my usual Elan RS 96 / 106 both in 181 and can be found occasionally on the Stockli AX and my limping battle worn SR 107 - 184s

End of the 1st lap I ask if the wife wants to try the next offering “ wow “ these things rip ! A bulldozer with finesse is how she described them. Taking this with a grain of snow as we got first tracks in nice blower, I had to chase her back to the lift.
All lifts went to green and off to tram to give these a proper test. With the warm up we had late last week, it was firm almost sharky lurking below the new storm total. With a neutral stance they offered great float and the drifting, dude feel I had heard and read so much about, rarely bottoming out while lapping Marx and Lenin. By the time we got off the peak we both decided these would get the nod for the remainder of the day.

A far amount of skiers hit the hill cutting things up fairly well by noon. Drifting piles with some firm bumps in glades and tight trees again with firm below. Chopped up is always my test of what a proper big mountain ski should do flawlessly, it should be able to handle everything in all conditions. This was not a powder hour ski demo.
The more things got cut up, the more the 108s shined. Moving from a neutral, slarvey, dude stance to a more forward position you feel the power of these ski kick in. Endless bump runs in the afternoon had me spending equal time on snow and in the air, lots of life to these, a stronger, damper RS if you will.
last call at the tram, a bit exhausted. A rare day to go bell to bell, well, ok 3:00 anyway. These skied just as precise on now what was mostly firm cut up and steep as on the first lap of untracked. Kastle 108s look like they are now going to be our next 10something purchase, no need to drill any further.

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: these are the Andreas Lettenbichler of skis.

Also... I had a brain fart and can't edit my post. MANI ... who the fuck is Andreas ... but if you know, you know.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With a winter weather advisory forecast days ago, the wife and I lined up a day of speed dating 10somethings for today and the forecast delivered. Awoke to the mountain posting 11” of new and for those who’ve been to Big Sky know its usually under reported. Today was no exception, skiing more like 16-24”
First up for today was the Kastle 108s. It had been a while since I was on a pair, their HPs and had not tried any since the production / ownership had changed.
Out of the gate, I haven’t seen the wife ski with this much confidence in some time and that’s saying something for those who know her. A blizzard girl who is right at home everyday on the Black Pearl 98, now 97 in the 166 length. She decided on the 172, Her stats 135# 5’4” rips all terrain in all conditions with finesse, all the time. Me not so much finesse on the 184s off of my usual Elan RS 96 / 106 both in 181 and can be found occasionally on the Stockli AX and my limping battle worn SR 107 - 184s

End of the 1st lap I ask if the wife wants to try the next offering “ wow “ these things rip ! A bulldozer with finesse is how she described them. Taking this with a grain of snow as we got first tracks in nice blower, I had to chase her back to the lift.
All lifts went to green and off to tram to give these a proper test. With the warm up we had late last week, it was firm almost sharky lurking below the new storm total. With a neutral stance they offered great float and the drifting, dude feel I had heard and read so much about, rarely bottoming out while lapping Marx and Lenin. By the time we got off the peak we both decided these would get the nod for the remainder of the day.

A far amount of skiers hit the hill cutting things up fairly well by noon. Drifting piles with some firm bumps in glades and tight trees again with firm below. Chopped up is always my test of what a proper big mountain ski should do flawlessly, it should be able to handle everything in all conditions. This was not a powder hour ski demo.
The more things got cut up, the more the 108s shined. Moving from a neutral, slarvey, dude stance to a more forward position you feel the power of these ski kick in. Endless bump runs in the afternoon had me spending equal time on snow and in the air, lots of life to these, a stronger, damper RS if you will.
last call at the tram, a bit exhausted. A rare day to go bell to bell, well, ok 3:00 anyway. These skied just as precise on now what was mostly firm cut up and steep as on the first lap of untracked. Kastle 108s look like they are now going to be our next 10something purchase, no need to drill any further.

I was on mine today in what ended up to be 15 in. or so at Snowmass. Just beautiful skis. You can push em or not, and it's just silky. Snow quality was surprisingly great for April, even knee deep in the flat-ish groomers (up high anyway) was velvety and not grabby, so I still need to amend my review but grabby is grabby, whatever. I have been impressed about how they go through choppy snow so far, though. (Luckily, hardly any chop today though!)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I was on mine today in what ended up to be 15 in. or so at Snowmass. Just beautiful skis. You can push em or not, and it's just silky. Snow quality was surprisingly great for April, even knee deep in the flat-ish groomers (up high anyway) was velvety and not grabby, so I still need to amend my review but grabby is grabby, whatever. I have been impressed about how they go through choppy snow so far, though. (Luckily, hardly any chop today though!)

You all suck. Now I want (need) a pair.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Great to see some long time reviewers get on this ski and share their feedback! Soo few reviews around on the ZX108

I think Kastle did something great here. Basically they married the BMX105 and FX106 and left out any carbon or metal and gave it to us for a great price.
I've owned/ skied every iteration of MX/BMX/FX in the 104/5/6/8 range and now own a 191 ZX108. To me its a tweener between the BMX115 I loved and FX106 I used to own. Easy to ski for a Kastle you can chill if you a good skier anyway or push it pretty hard - especially if you size up like I did. Lots of top end and surprising edge bite and carving enjoyment. You can pretty much hip drag on soft groomers or slarve and skid away if thats your thing.
Great in pow and stable and powerful enough in mixed and heavy snow to not miss the old BMX105HP that much. Its not a total crud crusher, but if I wanna blow everything up and the day after a storm I'll take out my MX99's.

Big thumbs up to Kastle for making this ski and better yet, expanding the line. The one big suggestion I have for Kastle given the success they have here and their current lineup is WHERE ARE THE 157-159 cm lengths for lady rippers??? Especially in the ZX100?? Kastle used to offer high 150's lenghths in all their all mtn/big mtn skis which made my wife and many of our friends very happy. Their now looking at Volkl, Blizzard and Nordica and going wow look at the options! and Kastle ... one mid 90's Fx and thats it - and at a time when their lineup is 2-3x as big as it used to be. :huh:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
DKP_7659 (1).jpeg

About 30 in. in the previous couple days, ranging from 4% to 12%. Snow was a bit heavy but smooth and consistent. The 108s are my widest skis now, I was a little concerned about needing more width, but should not have been. And damn even the groomed cat roads were fun too!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Really want either the 108’s or 115’s - the 184 is likely a tad short for the 108, so maybe the 115‘s at 186 or the 108’s in 191. Anyone in the same boat?

also don’t sleep on the 106ti’s :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our 108ZX demos in a 184 will be coming available soon, PM me for details.

Sponsor