• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Liberty Genesis 101 vs Origin 101

JButtah

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi All, I'm a 5'8, 180lb male, NE skier looking for 1 ski to take to Red and Snowbasin with kids next year. They like to spend all their time in trees and bumps which I'm just starting to get into. So looking for a ski that will help me keep up with kids, not concerned about stability at speed but would also like something with good float. I'd narrowed my choices to Ripstick 106 and Origin 106/101, but then saw a good deal on Genesis 101 at 171cm length. Does anyone know whether the Genesis would be ok for a skier like me? TIA!

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Origin 96 in 176 and have skied the 101 At 181, or 182, I forget the exact size. I am 5’9” and 150 lbs. They have a fair amount of tip and tail rocker and at your height and weight, I would recommend the 176 size range. They are easy to flip around.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some have one or two VMT stringers. Performance isn't hugely different.

TS
J

JButtah

Skier
I have the Origin 96 in 176 and have skied the 101 At 181, or 182, I forget the exact size. I am 5’9” and 150 lbs. They have a fair amount of tip and tail rocker and at your height and weight, I would recommend the 176 size range. They are easy to flip around.

Was thinking about the 176, but at Keystone this year I was on 172 Rustler 9s and I found that length just visually intimidating skiing in the trees!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As much as we like the Evolv series, the Genesis/Origins are Liberty's best selling collections.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was thinking about the 176, but at Keystone this year I was on 172 Rustler 9s and I found that length just visually intimidating skiing in the trees!
IIRC the Rustler mount point is interesting in that it gives you the sense that there's a lot out front of the binding, but that's a visual.
The Origin and Genesis have a different amount of VMT Stringers in them but I've skied both and found the differences negligible.
I also feel like they ski more true to sizing.
Go for the 176

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just kinda surprised your coming to snowbasin for trees and bumps.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh and PS: I ski the 176 because it is a 50/50 ski for me. If I was 100% inbounds on that ski I would ski the next size up.

TS
J

JButtah

Skier
Just kinda surprised your coming to snowbasin for trees and bumps.

Well, I got the Ikon Pass and always wanted to check out Utah, but Keystone for 1 week last year was the first time I've been west of NY. Can you recommend some resorts?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I got the Ikon Pass and always wanted to check out Utah, but Keystone for 1 week last year was the first time I've been west of NY. Can you recommend some resorts?

In UT, on the ikon pass, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton have extensive tree runs and will bumps up between storms. Good for all ability levels.
Snowbird has A good mix with many good tree areas off gad 2 but is more focused on advanced and expert terrain.

Snowbasin has some trees off John paul and porcupine lifts. Bumps are scattered throughout the resort, but often are pretty small. More focus on groomed runs and open soft snow runs

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the 176 Origin and am about your weight/height. Highly encourage you to move up to the 176 at a minimum. I use mine for soft snow in the trees but find myself wanting the 182 now.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some have one or two VMT stringers. Performance isn't hugely different.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. The metal pushes the 2022+ newer Origins across a Mendoza's line from a bit too soft to acceptable. I will say though I preferred mine with demo bindings, that little bit of added stiffness underfoot felt ideal to me. With regular bindings they are just a whisker softer than I'd like but still good fun and perfectly okay, not at all flapping around or blowing off the edge at speed.

Keep in mind though this perspective is coming from the 106, there is overall more material in that ski which is going to add some stability over the narrower versions.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the 176 Origin and am about your weight/height. Highly encourage you to move up to the 176 at a minimum. I use mine for soft snow in the trees but find myself wanting the 182 now.
I agree with this as well, they ski easy in lengths that are a little bit longer

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. The metal pushes the 2022+ newer Origins across a Mendoza's line from a bit too soft to acceptable. I will say though I preferred mine with demo bindings, that little bit of added stiffness underfoot felt ideal to me. With regular bindings they are just a whisker softer than I'd like but still good fun and perfectly okay, not at all flapping around or blowing off the edge at speed.

Keep in mind though this perspective is coming from the 106, there is overall more material in that ski which is going to add some stability over the narrower versions.
I tested them in Colorado snow which is lighter than you PNW Snow, that could have been why.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was thinking about the Origin 176, but at Keystone this year I was on 172 Rustler 9s and I found that length just visually intimidating skiing in the trees!
Meaning too short or too long? To me that would be way to short. You probably mean too long.

I have skied the first generation Liberty Origin 96 in 176cm, 182 cm, and 187 cm. I am on the 187 cm ski and its my all time favorite tree ski and I love it in bumps too. I think the 182 cm length is the best performer of the three and would recommend that for you. At 180lbs you will need it. At 150 lbs, the 176 works well. IF you really don't care about stability at speed, you could ski the 176. Realize they ski very short due to lots of tip an tail rocker.

The 96 is a much stiffer ski than the 106 and can't really be compared. The 106 floats a lot better, but I find the 96 planes up in deep snow and is very easy to ski. Plenty of float in the trees for me at 250 lbs. Its not my powder ski, but it sure pivots easy and quick, as well as carves a good turn when set on edge.

The Genesis is the women's version and I don't know if they are the same in the same lengths?

Another good tree ski is the metal less Blizzard Brahma, not sure what its called now. That you could ski in a low 170ish length.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tested them in Colorado snow which is lighter than you PNW Snow, that could have been why.
Or maybe more likely you are right and I'm wrong? ogsmile. You've got nearly infinitely more experience.

I will say that my Origins do cotton to variable PNW snow - their forgiving aspects are more of an asset than a ding on top end performance

Last edited:

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 96 is a much stiffer ski than the 106 and can't really be compared. The 106 floats a lot better, but I find the 96 planes up in deep snow and is very easy to ski. Plenty of float in the trees for me at 250 lbs. Its not my powder ski, but it sure pivots easy and quick, as well as carves a good turn when set on edge.
Thanks for this - for some reason I thought the 96 s and 101's were a bit softer relative to the 106's - I want to give the 96's a spin now ....

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The wider the Origin's get, the softer they get. The 90 is the exception, I think that is a lower performance ski. I would guess the 96 will be phased out and replaced with the 101. You can find the 96's for very low prices and I really like the skis and Blister feels the same and has reviewed them a few times. I think they capture the ski's performance really well. The first gen had the most rocker and the newer ones have a little less and carve slightly better. Another tree ski to look at is some of the 4FRNT skis, they are reverse camber and really pivot easy, less stable on groomers. They tend to be heavier, burly construction. The Origin 96 is bamboo and light and lively. Ski Essentials has them and has good video and reviews of them.

TS
J

JButtah

Skier
Thanks for all the feedback! Ended up getting the Origin 106 in 176 length and am pairing it with Marker Griffon 13 TXC Demo bindings, which I have on my Kendos and figured I can bring both skis with just 1 pair of bindings! Now just have to wait a short 7 months to try them out.

Sponsor

Staff online