• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2022 Miller SR88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
B3704CB0-AD12-42FB-B09B-F7D1D01029EB.JPG
86C7C3A5-BCCE-400A-84EC-F86CBE6E8644.JPG
As we were preparing to head to Aspen for the SkiTalk Gathering, I received a private message strongly suggesting I reach out to Miller Sports of Aspen and try one of their new “Miller” skis. Who doesn’t remember the “Miller Soft” of the 1970’s, one of the first powder skis? Well, these ain’t them. The only relation between these new Millers to the old Millers is the name.
DBFCA3C0-861D-4EC1-B705-C1AA7A67714D.JPG

These new Millers have the same surname as the shop’s owner, Bill Miller. So when you coincidently have a name that was a ski brand and you want to start a ski brand, why not use your own name for it? Thus Miller Skis.

There are a few builders right in Miller’s home state of Colorado that Bill could have gone to, but he chose to go across the pond to what some feel is the Mecca of ski builders, Austria. Bill worked with Sigi Rumphuber, one of the names behind the resurrection of Kästle back in the 2000’s, and owner of his own brand Original+, to help source his collection.

0A6715D7-E23F-48C8-B738-47E648581E90.JPG
There is a familiarity to the SR88 I skied at Snowmass, and that is not a bad thing. Other than the slight difference in tip dimensions, easily measured from a different point, the waist and tail measure identically to another fantastic 88 mm ski, the Augment AM88. While the Augment is rare, with limited distribution, the Miller SR88 is even rarer with availability at one boutique shop in Aspen. The Miller SR88’s simple black & white graphics with a splash of chrome in the logo ooze class, and even in their home town of Aspen, will really stand out and beg your chairlift companions to comment, “What skis are they?” The subtle graphic Augments rarely get this attention. The laser etched base with a thumbnail structure is another standout feature, something Bill says can be can only be done on one of four machines in the world.

As you would expect from a ski with a comma in its price, $1,195, the SR88 handled as I would have expected, with the Four S’s: smooth, subtle, stable and with its classy graphics, (according to @TheArchitect), sexy. Where @Tricia has referred to some skis as a little black party dress, the Miller SR88 is a Brioni tuxedo. The 179cm I tested was confident-inspiring in the morning flat light over invisible rollers, and when the sun broke out in the afternoon, allowed me to turn on the afterburners. The SR88s buck the modern trend of early tip and tail rise in favor of traditional shape and construction. The Miller’s flex is very balanced, allowing the ski to bend into various turn shapes. The published 19.4 meter radius made the human Giant Slalom fun when the trail got a bit more crowded, yet could bend into a mid teen radius turn.

DD2B6B4D-4216-42E4-AE8C-501A5BFA7BD2.JPG

2022 Miller product line

So, the next time you are in Aspen, I suggest you stop by Miller Sports of Aspen on 408 South Hunter Street. Web: https://millersportsaspen.com

• Who is it for: Those who are looking for an Nth performance brand with exclusivity but not at a über ridiculous price.
  • Who is it not for: The frugal or those who do not appreciate uniqueness.
  • Insider tip: When you are Aspen, stop by and try these yourself.
  • One thing I would change: The “Miller” is chrome on the forebody, the SR88 on the tail should be too.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope they don't resurrect the old Miller bindings!

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
How did it compare to the mx88?I ask because i didn’t ski that well in bumps with That tail that didn’t release(off me). and this one looks similar, No problems on my monsters.