• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you swap it pumps based on temperature/season? Enquiring minds and all. It is it inquiring? :huh:

Yes, but not for any great reason. In the winter, I don't pack a spare fat bike tube, rather the OneUp EDC pump that includes two CO2 cartridges, as well as a Stan's Dart plugger.

Fat bike tube is SO big, and I'm tubeless, and flats in snow are pretty uncommon, and I don't ride very "far out there" in the winter time.

Those are my justifications, and I'm sticking to them! ;)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How do you breathe when it is that cold? I think it'd send me into a full-blown asthma attack.
At the risk of sounding cliche, you get used to it. It was weird feeling saliva freezing slightly on my tongue and melting almost instantly with every breath and I couldn't really breath through my nose since it was running pretty good from the cold. I'm more worried about my cheek bones and tip of my nose, they are hard to keep warm and covered at this level of exertion and continue to breath without completely blinding yourself with frost. Once I get warmed up I can pull my face covering down to just below my lips and be quite okay.

I still pack a spare tube though I hope I never have to try to put it in. I dread having to break the bead and deal with wet sealant at -20f. I don't think it's super likely to get a traditional puncture and more likely to have a catastrophic failure of the tubeless set up. Thus I a carry the tube along with a bunch of plugs just in case. I'm starting my 3rd season on the same dose of sealant... sealant doesn't dry out very fast up here. LBS said it's fine and better to just leave it alone as long as it's working and still sloshing around good. Tubeless fat bikes in winter are done mainly for the massive drop in rolling resistance and the ability to run lower pressures, not for puncture resistance.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@firebanex, my fat bike tubeless sealant dries up over the summer, when the bike is hanging from the ceiling. No slosh when it's time to ride for the first time in the winter. Maybe you've found a better sealant than Orange Sub-Zero?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it doesn't get very hot here. It might be 80* for two weeks total and the rest of the time it's 60s and 70s during May-July. Also my LBS likes to put a LOT of sealant in when setting up fat bikes for winter use. I do the tubeless on all my other bikes but pay them to use a fatty stripper and set up the fat bike tires. I think they used Stans in mine, don't think it was the bontrager sealant I use in everything else.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the fatty stripper system working out? A very interesting approach. I've got single-walled carbon "snow only" rims that hold air as well as any other setup I've got.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah! As I mentioned, I'm on the 3rd season of the setup. Had my LBS do the setup as they do quite a few of them each year as you might imagine. Nothing special about my rims, it's the usual Sunringle Mulefut 80SL rim that came with my bike. Never really felt the need to upgrade but I had ben eyeing some of the Nextie doublewall carbon rims earlier this year... I like tussuck bashing in the fall/winter shoulder season and would prolly kill a singlewall rim with that sort of activity.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like tussuck bashing in the fall/winter shoulder season and would prolly kill a singlewall rim with that sort of activity.

My wheelbuilder would agree. I've got a set of double-walled Bonty Wampas for bashing around before snowpack.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski areas have been closed for cold and wind chill for the last couple days so Wife and I went for a short ride in the sunlight today :) it was only -15f but the sun was shining!

We swapped front wheels to try things out, both our bikes have the same wheel set I mentioned in a previous post. But mine are tubeless Dillinger 5s and hers are tubed Barbagazi's. She's always slower than me, but for the last couple months I keep thinking to my self that She's not THAT slow. Swapped the front wheels and she says not even two pedal strokes later and I quote "what the actual fuck". This prompted a small rant about how she's not actually slow and it was her tires holding her back and omg this is so much better. Anyways, now I have to (get to ;) ) buy her a set of D5s and set them up tubeless. Wonder if I can sneak a pair of carbon wheels out of this....
20221226_114441.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@firebanex this is an astounding opportunity to contact Mike at lacemine29.com and talk about carbon wheels!

Happy wife and happy life and all that. :ogbiggrin:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the wife will be getting a set of 45NRTH Husker Du's! No one in town had the nonstudded Dillinger 5's and the Husker Du is supposed to be faster and also discontinued? but not discontinued because the LBS just got a couple dozen back in stock cause they roll super fast. I don't question it, just handed them my money and told them to make it happen. I decided against carbon wheels for this season, still gotta get a wheel set for her Fuel EX build first.

I have a hard time trying to explain how a 10 mile ride with zero elevation on groomed trails through the woods can be so fun. But I'll give it a try. It was just myself following a single snow machine track for tonight's ride. I was far enough back that the tracks from the walkers, snowshoes, and xc skiers had all turned off and left me this "first track" on a trail All I hear is my tires crunching across the snow and random echos of those crunches off the trees I pass in the dark. It's smooth and fast but even on the groomed surface, pockets of unstable and soft snow exist to disrupt my line. One would think holding a straight path on a smooth surface is easy, try doing it on snow.

It also warmed up to about 0, it's easier to enjoy a ride when I'm not thinking about how I could die if I got a flat tire.

20221227_190329.jpg
20221227_193314.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunrise! Well, not quite.. it was the first sun we saw at about noon. Our usual riding group finally got back together and went for a pretty chill ride today. My wife is completely enjoying her new 45nrth Husker Du's tires, second ride with them today and she rolls fast and happy now! If that's not an endorsement for a fat fast rolling tire, I don't know what else is.
20230102_120600.jpg

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Is it time for the 2023 thread?
No if you get the humor here. I've been nagged to get some trail steward things done before I've had enough skiing done. I'm procrastinating on a fat bike grooming matter and same for putting out a bunch of signs. There are some trail and budget matters in the MTB procrastination too.

The rule should be exemption from trail stewarding the years when you have new skis. I'm getting a little burnt out from all the growth in MTB.

Sponsor

Staff online