• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@4ster If and when do you expect to sell the Ripmo?
Now! :ogbiggrin: (jk).
My thinking is if the new bike continues to give me the same feedback I had yesterday is that I will sell the RipMo and perhaps buy a lighter cross country type bike, maybe even a single speed hardtail.
I also have friends who use the E-bike as a shuttle vehicle, picking up the car with the E-bike but riding the analog.
l will give it a little more time before deciding but the RipMo is in perfect running condition now & ripe for a sale.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were recently at a trade show and every rep that we talked to had at least one ebike in their stable. These are hard core riders.

One conversation....

Phil Pugliese:
It seems a lot of reps have gotten ebikes … have you?

Rep:
Oh YES we have the e bikes.
Everyday is 24 miles and 3500 feet of up/dh. Mind blowing. It’s the new fat skis on a powder day.

Reactions: nay

4ster

Instructor
How does that work?? :huh:

I was trying to figure that out too.
Drive up with your analog bike to the put in.
Ride mostly DH & home.
Grab E-bike & ride bike up to get your car.

Lots of places around here & my place in Utah where this works but I’m thinking with the battery power/longevity that I have it probably isn’t needed. Time will tell.

Another shuttle application is backcountry ski access.

Different topic? Where do you guys like to place adhesive frame protection tape?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were recently at a trade show and every rep that we talked to had at least one ebike in their stable. These are hard core riders.

One conversation....

Phil Pugliese:
It seems a lot of reps have gotten ebikes … have you?

Rep:
Oh YES we have the e bikes.
Everyday is 24 miles and 3500 feet of up/dh. Mind blowing. It’s the new fat skis on a powder day.
One of the reps said (repeatedly) "I got an e-bike. I wanted to hate it. I really wish I hated it"

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is a Trek Rail 9.8. It feels very similar to my RipMo & really surprised me on the downhills! One of my biggest concerns was how the bike would fit & feel as I never had a chance to test ride. I felt confident on it right away & I really put it through the paces even hitting some tabletop jumps. Balancing the extra weight in the air will take a little getting used to but for my level (which is nowhere near what my bikes are capable of) it handles like a dream.
View attachment 172014

Here is a comparison. All these #’s are mostly Greek to me & even though the RipMo measures a shorter reach it feels the opposite :huh:
View attachment 172016
Greek to me, too, I guess. I was just impressed by the apparent extreme slackness of the fork, but it seems to be right in the slot.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Different topic? Where do you guys like to place adhesive frame protection tape?

For me, nowhere, provided the downtube is adequately protected.

And the Rail has a very good "pad" in that area.

Ride it like you mean it, and let the cosmetic chips fall where they may!

Small World Observation: My little sis is picking up her Rail 9.8 tomorrow. She's beyond stoked!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had aspirations to do 13 miles with 2000?? Climbing today but wasn’t feeling it. It had clearly rained and stormed a decent amount on the mountain last night, which made for hero dirt but slippery rocks. There was a tree down —I needed @Doug Briggs and his saw! The Middle Fork trail is an absolute mess. Rutted and gutted and a real challenge with the slippery rocks. It still has one of my favorite meadows.
6AFFA414-F0FF-4992-9D9A-851A5CA205A4.jpeg

F35C0BE7-81F7-4107-84A4-F27E250CC1B3.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First 50 miler in 7 years. Made it to the start:

IMG_3018.jpg

And the finish (staged photo, actual time not quite so embarrassing).
IMG_3024.jpg

I felt good, but realized that time is a cruel mistress. I don't know whether to cry a little bit, or buy an e-bike! :ogbiggrin:

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Greek to me, too, I guess. I was just impressed by the apparent extreme slackness of the fork, but it seems to be right in the slot.
Really short stems make the bike look more slack along with relatively longer frame reach. 10mm of frame reach can easily be adjusted 20mm in the other direction by shortening the stem (if it’s not already 35mm) and increasing handlebar sweep.

E-bikes are awesome - it’s how you can get laps without a lift. I don’t have any plans to get one because it’s fairly pointless unless everybody in your group has one or you are looking for extended range, but probably we all will.

Serious DH fitness is hard to accrue without a lift. We rode Doctor Park today outside of CB - just an incredible trail. Shuttle up to the river, cross, ride up the FS road, which has some pretty good bitch grade climbing, and then drop about a thousand meters of vert over 6 miles. Fast and techy with some perfect pitch ripping flow in the middle.

My son was shaking at the bottom. He had to walk the last few switchbacks of sketchy tech because he just couldn’t control the bike any longer.

This is exactly the type of trail where an e-bike is perfect because the start and finish are 10 miles apart and that 10 miles is washboard road that climbs over a thousand feet. You either have to shuttle or eat that up front.

032DE3F1-FE3F-4195-AEA7-BA7FB97AC648.jpeg

0FEB8193-3CCC-4AD0-B4CC-DFFFEAC56E82.jpeg
A609171E-4B0E-45B6-BECB-8ED343262E4B.jpeg
B378D0C3-F68A-4984-A906-AEC857EAF50D.jpeg
9B9B5415-D795-4B54-9F1C-4DE2AE9FEA0B.jpeg
E4AE7B09-9FDC-49E0-BDF7-C968569DB3C3.jpeg

4ster

Instructor
E-bikes are awesome - it’s how you can get laps without a lift. I don’t have any plans to get one because it’s fairly pointless unless everybody in your group has one or you are looking for extended range, but probably we all will.
l think this nails much of why I got one. First wanting to be able to shuttle without a shuttle or lift, stay out of the car & off the road (ride from home) & more people I know are riding them.
One of the groups I ride with are mostly on E-mtb’s now & a few of us can still keep up but they do have to wait some & we (at least I) was finding I had to max out & sometimes couldn’t go the distance comfortably at that pace.

Serious DH fitness is hard to accrue without a lift.

My son was shaking at the bottom. He had to walk the last few switchbacks of sketchy tech because he just couldn’t control the bike any longer.
I think this is why I was so exhausted my first 2 days on the E. My body is still adjusting to the fast pace & gobbling up vertical without really pacing myself. I think I find myself peddling harder trying to maximize the assist & then immediately heading down some long techy downhills.

Friday…
7B28F869-C585-4AAB-B613-A24C80322E79.jpeg

800E1EAC-C391-4E88-9951-1D7365BF931D.jpeg

Then yesterday I wasn’t going to ride at all but I couldn’t resist the refreshed dirt after a couple of quick afternoon thunderstorms. Still managed 16 miles & 2400’ in 1.5 hours…
1E85E764-A043-41F9-9380-2E2A7CB8C3FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The image below 'Friday...' is kind of spooky. That is a burn area?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I’m doing a “race” in July called El Doce. It’s an annual event at Powder Mountain. It’s a 6 or 12 hour relay. I’m doing the 12 hour with 3 others. 15 miles, about 2000 vert climbing per lap. I don’t anticipate doing more than one lap especially since I just don’t have the time (or inclination) to train THAT hard. But today, we rode up at Powder Mountain to start acclimating to the extra altitude and scout parts of the course that have been changed due to DH trails being put on. 15 miles and about 1500 vertical. I love riding up there because you can get a lot of miles in on fun trails without climbing the entire time.

I’m the youngster in the group at 53-me and 3 men, including my husband. Ages 61, 65, and 70. Named our team “Viejo Pedorros”- Old Farts in Spanish. :roflmao: The 70 year old is training for the full Lotoja so 2 laps is a possibility for him. There is a 50+ category so who knows, maybe we’ll be competitive? It’s all for fun which apparently it is quite the party.

Some pics from today
7A870411-1211-4D02-8200-3E4CBDBEFA85.jpeg

View of Snowbasin above Pineview Reservoir.
097FB647-D430-4458-B5DA-866B0495AAAF.jpeg

Climbing a fun rocky section
04C6C4AE-174F-4E0D-BCBA-2BB14144A713.jpeg

View of Cache Valley to the north
9899298C-7FBD-480D-A5AE-95B4388D40AF.jpeg

View of one of the homes on what used to be part of “powder country”. It’s kind of sickening to see the luxurious homes going in on what was the old dirtbag kind of ski area once upon a time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The image below 'Friday...' is kind of spooky. That is a burn area?
I'm sure @4ster has a lot of burn scar that he rides after the massive fire last fall.
I stumbled upon some burn scar last week when I was riding. It was in an area that I didn't realize had a fire, and frankly it was quite close to my house. Not something I want to see. :(

A lesson I learned long ago is to not ride my bike through turkey poop. That was grose and splattered everywhere.

Reactions: nay