• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the highlight of today's extended sufferfest was pretty exciting, so no real time pic.

I'll just leave you all with this stock photo:

download.jpg

Needless to say, I ceded right of way to the cat, and hastily planned a reroute!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rode out of my area yesterday, up in North Lake above Kings Beach with my local Head rep. Around 22 miles of riding with a lot of climbing and coincidently, the same amount of descent ;) . I returned with a SS Skitalk full of skis (Head & Dynastar) for an upcoming prroject we are working on.
tempImage0z5Dib.png
tempImageRglvfV.jpg
tempImage5EAO8r.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I entered another race. I’ve entered the 15 miler. I could knock out the 5.5 in no time and possibly place, but what’s the point? Racing two weekends in a row. I need my head checked!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek has my new bike. Fuel EX-e. Just watched the Trek U video on it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Trek has my new bike. Fuel EX-e. Just watched the Trek U video on it.
Ohhhhh emmmmm geeeeee. Sorry. You cannot get it, not after everything have said about e bikes ;) How do you like your crow served?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1656645943505.png

From Pinkbike...
150/140mm Travel, supposedly super quiet motor and small removable battery. Sounds like the 9.7 will be all carbon (unlike the Rail 9.7 which for 22 has an alloy rear) and retail for $7600 to $8099 depending on paint. Guessing it is going to be low power to compete with Levo SL and Orbea Rise. It looks pretty awesome

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alaska is on fire. So we are riding bikes anyways, just not climbing up any hills. Thankfully we can shuttle the local singletrack network and one other good trail in the area.

Tuesday the AQI went over 500, it was a rough day just sitting inside at work. Wednesday and Thursday were both just under 200 and we shuttled a couple runs each day. Gonna do the same thing again tomorrow as long as it doesn't get too much over 200.

In other news, I got a 150mm air spring installed in my Fuel Ex's fork. That little bump from 140 to 150 made a very nice change to the bike, at least in my hands the bike feels right. It calmed down the steering and feels more confident in general. I also got to drop a couple of psi and added a click of rebound compared to my old settings.
20220630_185417.jpg
20220630_193942.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ohhhhh emmmmm geeeeee. Sorry. You cannot get it, not after everything have said about e bikes ;) How do you like your crow served?
I was being facetious. Maybe when I'm 60, but I've maintained that when they got lighter and less powerful, I'd consider it. That being said, still not sure I would do it. I can't race on one, for starters. But utskier, I'd love to see him on one, however, it would limit where we can ride together which is a consideration (no Targhee.) Unless he keeps two bikes.

I followed a gal on a Rail on Wednesday evening and was able to ride her tail on a segment called "Fast Hill Climb" that is about 200 (??) yards of fire road that is quite steep. I passed her repeatedly on the downhill segments. She commented at a point where we all stopped to chat that the bike was cumbersome and heavy for her. So for the time being, I'm pretty content with my current bike and my ability to climb without assistance.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Alaska is on fire. So we are riding bikes anyways, just not climbing up any hills. Thankfully we can shuttle the local singletrack network and one other good trail in the area.

Tuesday the AQI went over 500, it was a rough day just sitting inside at work. Wednesday and Thursday were both just under 200 and we shuttled a couple runs each day. Gonna do the same thing again tomorrow as long as it doesn't get too much over 200.

In other news, I got a 150mm air spring installed in my Fuel Ex's fork. That little bump from 140 to 150 made a very nice change to the bike, at least in my hands the bike feels right. It calmed down the steering and feels more confident in general. I also got to drop a couple of psi and added a click of rebound compared to my old settings.
View attachment 172449 View attachment 172448
I can't like that Alaska is on fire. It'll be the west coast's time to start burning soon, which has become the norm instead of the exception. We are horrible stewards of this beautiful planet.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was being facetious. Maybe when I'm 60, but I've maintained that when they got lighter and less powerful, I'd consider it. That being said, still not sure I would do it. I can't race on one, for starters. But utskier, I'd love to see him on one, however, it would limit where we can ride together which is a consideration (no Targhee.) Unless he keeps two bikes.

I followed a gal on a Rail on Wednesday evening and was able to ride her tail on a segment called "Fast Hill Climb" that is about 200 (??) yards of fire road that is quite steep. I passed her repeatedly on the downhill segments. She commented at a point where we all stopped to chat that the bike was cumbersome and heavy for her. So for the time being, I'm pretty content with my current bike and my ability to climb without assistance.
@Philpug, why is this funny to you?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

I feel your pain! We had some days with an AQI over 500 last summer, it felt like you were smothering.
I know you guys had fires last summer but how about before that? Have wildfires always been an issue in your area or like here in the western lower 48 is it becoming more prevalent?

You were just a more skilled rider than her :thumb:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't like that Alaska is on fire. It'll be the west coast's time to start burning soon, which has become the norm instead of the exception. We are horrible stewards of this beautiful planet.
You are not wrong. There is one key part about Alaska being on fire compared to anywhere else though. No one lives out there. We have the luxury of letting most of the fires burn the natural course. Sure we are suffering from smoke but the landscape relies on periodic fire events to continue its cycle.

I haven't looked it up yet, but as far as I know we haven't had any significant precipitation since it snowed on May 10th locally. Not unheard of, but still it's been super dry even with the record snow fall this winter. One of my brother-in-law runs the wildland unit at his fire department, we started having wildfires popping up back in March. Everything is just ready to burn this season.

@4ster "normal" yes. Last year was actually pretty melow year compared to some. This year is shaping up to be a big one tho. This level of smoke seems to be a about an every 5 year sort of thing. Google the UAF smoke forecast map to see how bad it is right now.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I entered another race. I’ve entered the 15 miler. I could knock out the 5.5 in no time and possibly place, but what’s the point? Racing two weekends in a row. I need my head checked!
From a former coach & competitor…
“To be competitive at competitions one must compete” ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A nice ride after a day rain delay. The tread is sooo tacky after all the moisture. A few places are slick, but not many. The roots are slick. They remind me of my roots in mt biking (pun accepted).

IMG_20220701_103227097.jpg

The lobster is almost gone. Fourth of July Bowls looks ok, but no skiing from the tippy top.

IMG_20220701_103645174.jpg
My 'srhroom collecting friends are probably going to have a good harvest after all this rain.

strava8881293887751366607.jpg

The new Chantilly trails makes for a pleasant alternate way to make a nice loop from the house.

Sponsor

Staff online