• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Another battery test in the high country today. Still had half left.

Top of Armstrong with 5 tough miles left to Star Lake
9F8F893C-F4AC-4AB5-8979-0EDD026B3145.jpeg

Freel Pass is close to 10K’, Freel Peak is almost 11K’ & the tallest around Tahoe
8090B2DF-E9E5-43F4-8D86-25BE0C54609D.jpeg

Looking from the Carson Range toward the Crystal Range to the West
9B09DAA2-4BD5-4325-9777-029B674FD915.jpeg

Tahoe almost 4K‘ below
6899DFEE-634F-4806-8A50-3D1AACFD517C.jpeg

14CADA0B-223F-41B5-A08E-664C5C9C97DC.jpeg

B6E00CA7-623B-4A37-89EA-8336FBB0B12B.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Some fun before the lightening. Gunnison is in a valley bowl and storms will build on the various ridge lines for awhile before the whole thing suddenly fills in.

Had a lightening strike fairly close as we dipped back into the exit canyon on Bambi’s after we saw the cattle.

That makes you faster and Bambi’s is a great DH without the extra incentive.

My son was not happy - he’s going to college here and you have to learn to read weather in the west. So we talked it through as the storms built around us, he’d have liked to have been off a bit sooner. He was right.

08234FCA-D351-4748-9E74-B4ED2244D155.jpeg

7F423521-9AAD-49C0-95D3-BF93BA2C8181.jpeg
B149FD75-30B7-46B6-9DEA-FCF0A025D269.jpeg
5B918D5A-6D56-4F8B-B94B-5279B3A20772.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Tell us more -- I'm always on the hunt for the perfect blaze orange helmet!
This one is actually red but it does sorta blaze…
I’m guessing my old one was 7 or 8 years old. I have heard anywhere from 2 to 10 years on a helmets life? What is the consensus here?
Turns out my niece & her husband both have the same helmet & they are both happy with it. I tried on a few different brands (Giro, Troy Lee, Poc, Smith etc.) & the Bell in a medium was best for my head.
l went with the full face (easily detachable) just cuz it wasn’t much more & you never know :huh:

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
El Doce completed yesterday. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and holy SMOKES I’m slow AF in a crowd of hundreds of competitive racers. I feel like there’s really no place in this world of MTB racing for someone like me. Not sure it’s a big deal but having goals is motivating.

With all that being said, I’m beginning to worry that I push myself too hard on most of my rides and not by choice. We climb here—it’s the nature of the terrain. And we climb at altitude.

This was my HR data from yesterday. Zone 4 and I wasn’t going all-out except on some of the climbs where I was in zone 5. I think a road bike is in order so I can train distances in zones 2 and 3. Because doing this several days per week cannot be healthy long-term at my age.

D651BD2E-58F3-47BC-86A7-00C782481BD9.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This one is actually red but it does sorta blaze…
I’m guessing my old one was 7 or 8 years old. I have heard anywhere from 2 to 10 years on a helmets life? What is the consensus here?
Turns out my niece & her husband both have the same helmet & they are both happy with it. I tried on a few different brands (Giro, Troy Lee, Poc, Smith etc.) & the Bell in a medium was best for my head.
l went with the full face (easily detachable) just cuz it wasn’t much more & you never know :huh:
Typical industry response is five years. I dunno, if it's in good condition, I'm not as serious about changing them so often. Mine typically start to fall apart in a few years so I change because of that.

scott43

Skier
El Doce completed yesterday. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and holy SMOKES I’m slow AF in a crowd of hundreds of competitive racers. I feel like there’s really no place in this world of MTB racing for someone like me. Not sure it’s a big deal but having goals is motivating.

With all that being said, I’m beginning to worry that I push myself too hard on most of my rides and not by choice. We climb here—it’s the nature of the terrain. And we climb at altitude.

This was my HR data from yesterday. Zone 4 and I wasn’t going all-out except on some of the climbs where I was in zone 5. I think a road bike is in order so I can train distances in zones 2 and 3. Because doing this several days per week cannot be healthy long-term at my age.

View attachment 173540
So I'm no coach .. But there is logic in appropriate training plans. Overtraining is a thing. And yes Masters racing is an ambush. I use the race as motivation but I understand I'm back half of the race guy. I'm not winning anything anymore. Never did.. :huh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm no coach .. But there is logic in appropriate training plans. Overtraining is a thing. And yes Masters racing is an ambush. I use the race as motivation but I understand I'm back half of the race guy. I'm not winning anything anymore. Never did.. :huh:
Any training I do is made more complicated by age and being post-menopausal, which wreaks total havoc on women moreso than not. Throw in that while no couch potato, I've never done anything in my life so strenuous until I was 45 when I took up MTB and LOVE it but don't know how to NOT ride so hard when the trail dictates that I will climb that pitch and then the next pitch then the next pitch. I can't back off when the climb requires max effort. I don't expect to be lightning fast and to keep up with the younger crowd, but it does concern me that my HR gets up as high as it does despite my overall cardio fitness level being pretty good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Overtraining is a thing.

I think that's spot on. I read a study long ago that seemed pretty scientific, and concluded that over half the field in a typical Cat1 Masters road race was overtrained.

Any training I do is made more complicated by age and being post-menopausal, which wreaks total havoc on women moreso than not. Throw in that while no couch potato, I've never done anything in my life so strenuous until I was 45 when I took up MTB and LOVE it but don't know how to NOT ride so hard when the trail dictates that I will climb that pitch and then the next pitch then the next pitch. I can't back off when the climb requires max effort. I don't expect to be lightning fast and to keep up with the younger crowd, but it does concern me that my HR gets up as high as it does despite my overall cardio fitness level being pretty good.

This sounds like an ad for the new Fuel EX-e! ;) :ogbiggrin: :duck:

scott43

Skier
I have a buddy who is actually fast and he has consistently said MTB is fun but training needs to be on the road bike. Too inconsistent otherwise. Too many hard ups at the wrong time, too much coasting at the wrong time. Even a very simple plan from a proper coach with rest days and easy days will help.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier

scott43

Skier
Haven’t really followed this but from what I’ve read rest, recovery and intensity matter.

Yeah my buddy says all my miles are basically garbage miles.. :ogbiggrin: I try to vary intensity but mostly I'm just trying to have a ride and structure is basically dictated by hills and coasting... Super scientific. Then I go home and pound ketone drinks....