• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Has Pevine been getting any of the rain?
Yes. We got some good rain last week. Unfortunately the area around Mahogany Forest was burned a few years ago and it looks like it got a LOT of rain. Big washout between switchbacks where the soil isn't holding. The trails didn't get washed out but quite a bit of dirt was deposited in spots making it more of a side slope ride than a trail. Most of what I've been on since the rain is back to dry and loose. No hero dirt here!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
El Doce completed yesterday. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and holy SMOKES I’m slow AF in a crowd of hundreds of competitive racers. I feel like there’s really no place in this world of MTB racing for someone like me. Not sure it’s a big deal but having goals is motivating.

With all that being said, I’m beginning to worry that I push myself too hard on most of my rides and not by choice. We climb here—it’s the nature of the terrain. And we climb at altitude.

This was my HR data from yesterday. Zone 4 and I wasn’t going all-out except on some of the climbs where I was in zone 5. I think a road bike is in order so I can train distances in zones 2 and 3. Because doing this several days per week cannot be healthy long-term at my age.

View attachment 173540
Get an ebike. You will be able to ride 5-6 days a week, and control your effort, most days zone 2, some hard.

The advantage over a road bike is that you maintain our improve your technical terrain skills.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Get an ebike. You will be able to ride 5-6 days a week, and control your effort, most days zone 2, some hard.

The advantage over a road bike is that you maintain our improve your technical terrain skills.
I can't have both, however, I can afford an inexpensive road bike. E-bike is on the radar for a few years from now. I like that they're getting lighter and less powerful. I do have a friend who rides both e and non-e and uses the e for recovery days or days he doesn't want to ride as hard.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another fun ride on Peavine with @Philpug and our friend Jeff.
20220811_105120.jpg
20220811_105137.jpg
20220811_105144.jpg
Screenshot_20220811-123313_eBike Connect.jpg

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't have both, however, I can afford an inexpensive road bike. E-bike is on the radar for a few years from now. I like that they're getting lighter and less powerful. I do have a friend who rides both e and non-e and uses the e for recovery days or days he doesn't want to ride as hard.
I only have an e bike, and 8 can ride as hard as i want with it.
It's got a lot of travel, 180/180, so i sold my Enduro, since it had less travel

My wife, 135 lbs, ride the same e bike, no issues whatsoever with the weight of the bike.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I do have a friend who rides both e and non-e and uses the e for recovery days or days he doesn't want to ride as hard.
I now have 800 miles on my e-mtb & ride at least as hard on it if not harder. Either way, I feel I am definitely burning more calories & getting a more aerobic workout like on a road bike… just more fun ;).
With a little discipline I can still get the lung busting anaerobic benefits on the steep climbs especially when I’m riding with younger stronger analog riders. I even turn the motor off sometimes.

i sold my Enduro, since it had less travel
I definitely plan on selling my RipMo (a bike I luv) as it is redundant & my e-mtb does everything it does better. l am looking at getting a much lighter analog cross/down country bike.

The Transition spur is at the top of my list but unavailable right now
Anyone have suggestions for something similar?

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have suggestions for something similar?

I'd look at the Top Fuel. There are a lot of comparison reviews if you search downcountry, and it seems very well regarded (Pinkbike, Enduro, etc., etc.).

The downcountry category spans a huge range. Some are longer travel xc race bikes (Epic Evo, Scott Spark) and some are light trail bikes (Top Fuel, Revel Ranger) and I think the Transition kind of sits in the middle.

I've got a 9.8 GX AXS coming next week or soon after with a bunch of upgrade parts, and will report back. I really like Trek's rear suspension system. The ABP or Split Pivot or whatever really lets it keep working when you're on the brakes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The downcountry category spans a huge range. Some are longer travel xc race bikes (Epic Evo, Scott Spark) and some are light trail bikes (Top Fuel, Revel Ranger) and I think the Transition kind of sits in the middle.
Thanks @Tom K.

I was watching reviews & comparisons this morning & except for the Top Fuel they were mostly confirming my leaning toward the Transition Spur. I have owned mostly Treks over the past 20 years so I will have to look more closely at the Top Fuel. Last time I jumped on a Fuel EX it was not comfortable. I was able to ride a Spur earlier this Summer & it just felt right

:bikewheelie:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I jumped on a Fuel EX it was not comfortable. I was able to ride a Spur earlier this Summer & it just felt right

Hard to argue with that. Every time I get on my Fuel EX I wonder why I'm even bothering to shop for new bikes -- other than the fact that it's three seasons old and I ride a LOT.

I've heard only great things about the Spur (and the Revel) and Transition is a cool company. A bit of a paradox, actually. They really try to throw out a "bro" vibe, but put a LOT of work into design and testing.

Get it in an XL so I can take a spin if you ever come through this neck of the woods! :ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ride at least as hard on it if not harder
I was talking to another ebike rider on the trail the other day and mentioned that I usually show close to 1:1 me/bike ratio at the end of a ride (I was better than that last summer but not riding as much this year) . In my feeble mind I figure if I ride 20 miles, that's like riding 10 on an analog bike. He said yes, in the legs, but the upper body still gets a 20 mile workout. I think that's pretty accurate. My legs will be tired but my arms are beat. I guess I'm saying I agree with @4ster in that you can make the ride as hard or easy as you wish. Pedaling a 50# ebike in the OFF setting is pretty tough and I turn it off where I can.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The newest Top Fuel is essentially a Fuel Ex from a couple years ago but with pockets. I had a 2020 Top Fuel 8 but I was overwhelming the suspension and I just felt like I needed more bike, but oh man did it climb well. Sold it after a season and got my 2021 Fuel EX 9.8xt. I've changed the bars and added a bashguard but otherwise the only major change I've done is bumped the front fork travel from 140 to 150. That helped stabilize the front end of the bike for me as it's slightly slacker and slightly longer now. It feels just about perfect now, even taken it and done a bit of bike park riding at Hilltop and Alyeska this summer.

Wife and I went for an afternoon ride today, I'm playing with jumping things, she's slaying berms this summer, and the mushrooms are popping up now!
IMG_0120.jpg
20220814_164418.jpg
20220814_165113.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No ride today but I did service the forks. The biggest issue is trying to find the oil. I found 5w at one shop but couldn't find the 15w that I needed to finish. I called 5 or 6 shops and even went to the Worldwide Cyclery warehouse. No dice. Finally got it at Scheel's. The guy sold me a fresh quart that they had in the service area. I'll have enough oil to last for a while! On the plus side, the forks feel smoother. Hopefully will get a ride in the next day or so.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I decided to replace brake pads yesterday and do some cleaning to the brakes.. had been having some rubbing issues on the rear brake for a couple weeks now. My Fuel EX has SLX 7120 brakes, you may be able to guess where this is going now. Turns out one of the pistons was extended further out than the rest.. and didn't move when the lever was pulled. I did manage to get the piston to retract but it was not happy with the situation and made some really gritty and grinding noises. New pads installed and got everything functional cause I really wanted to ride tonight. I did stop by my LBS on lunch and had them check if they could file warranty on them. Good news is that they are still covered under warranty! We gotta send the old brake set back, but a new one is on the way already.

Tonight's ride started with the unknown of how it was going to conclude. I didn't know if the rear brake would work well enough to ride or if it was going to explode and leave me with no brake. Neither of those happened! The lever felt absolutely terrible and had maybe 60% total power on it but it worked the entire time and it was a great after work ride. 11 miles and 1500' of vert. As it was a solo ride, you just get a picture of a mushroom.
20220816_190851.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided to replace brake pads yesterday and do some cleaning to the brakes.. had been having some rubbing issues on the rear brake for a couple weeks now. My Fuel EX has SLX 7120 brakes, you may be able to guess where this is going now. Turns out one of the pistons was extended further out than the rest.. and didn't move when the lever was pulled. I did manage to get the piston to retract but it was not happy with the situation and made some really gritty and grinding noises. New pads installed and got everything functional cause I really wanted to ride tonight. I did stop by my LBS on lunch and had them check if they could file warranty on them. Good news is that they are still covered under warranty! We gotta send the old brake set back, but a new one is on the way already.

This happens occasionally if you ride in gritty conditions. Tease each piston out pretty far, then clean it with a q-tip soaked in Shimano Mineral Spirits Brake Fluid. Push the piston back in, and repeat. This will lubricate the seals, and probably keep you on the trail while waiting for the replacement brake.

Oddly, I find that a simple, plastic, Park Tool tire lever works great in this application.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
May see if I can massage it along some more. Totally forgot about that, i hit it with a bunch of alcohol and cleaned it the best I could that way. I've got a broken plastic tire lever that I use specifically for working with brakes now. Our riding season is ending soon, I don't want to miss out on the best couple of weeks coming up. The mosquitoes have all died, the temps are down, and the leaves are starting to change!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
May see if I can massage it along some more. Totally forgot about that, i hit it with a bunch of alcohol and cleaned it the best I could that way. I've got a broken plastic tire lever that I use specifically for working with brakes now. Our riding season is ending soon, I don't want to miss out on the best couple of weeks coming up. The mosquitoes have all died, the temps are down, and the leaves are starting to change!
I had a similar issue with a used bike I bought for my kids. I just bled it a few times with extra pumping and maybe got some fresh fluid in there or gunk out and they have been fine ever since. I am not really sure what the initial cause was. Better than old f250 pistons that just seize up for no reason.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My LBS let me know today that Shimano approved the warranty claim and a replacement is on the way today. Once it shows up we gotta send back the broken brake but I'm pretty stoked that it was actually in stock. I was getting ready to either buy a Magura 4 piston caliper and try a shigura set up or get a Deore brake and take the caliper off it. I had all the intentions of working my my mtb but I ended up sewing another bike bar bag tonight instead. A while back, I promised my mom I'd make her a bag after she was admiring the bar bag I made for my wife earlier. This one turned out even better than the first imo. Next up is a half frame bag for my gravel bike.. should be much easier and less frustrating that these bar bags. Hate sewing cylinders, really need to look up a different/easier way to make a bag this shape.

20220817_233212.jpg

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
It's getting to be that time of year where long after work rides are finishing up after dark . I do enjoy a good night ride . we stick to trails we are very familiar with .
some shots from a 13 mile Park City ride on Tuesday .

IMG_7496.JPG
IMG_7501.JPG
IMG_7513.JPG
IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

saw countless deer and rode up behind a chubby Porcupine that hobbled down the trail in front of us for about 100 yards before it went into the brush . we gave that guy a wide berth and let him do his thing.

Sponsor

Staff online