• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
First real mtb ride of the year today. No pics. Pretty much a bust.

Tried a new to me area that is a shuttle mountain. Halfway melted, so no danger of riders coming down from above. Thought I'd ride up, since hiking reports had it clear for 3 miles.

After 1.5 miles and over 1,000' of climbing, I decided that this was a decidedly downhill trail -- since it was semi-technical to boot.

Even without the winter burger belly, it would have been just a little too sporty, but our regular xc trails should be rideable in a week. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: I feel inadequate without any pics, so I'll post this one of me coaching @Fuiller on how to ride a t-bar: "It pulls you, man, stop trying to sit down on it like a chairlift!" He got it!!! :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 164569

This fits the biking forum because I know he is now back in FL, spinning out the road miles on his road bike....
It would be easier to ride the T-Bar with you if your ass wasn't 4" taller than mine! And sadly, my knee still isn't happy enough to be comfortable on the bike yet so I'm just moping around the house annoying my wife. The weather this weekend was stunning though and I did get out for a walk.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was tough to choose a sport yesterday, but biking won, as the paved golf course paths are open for use until golfing starts in a few weeks. They are blast to rip around on!

IMG_0759.JPG

The local swans are very bold this year. Nothing phases them. They are unflappable!

IMG_0761.JPG

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We got 4” last night at my house, I was hoping to ski some 3x unexpected totals at my home mountain, but had to work way too late into the early morning, so dragged myself out on the bike this afternoon as a snow squall came through expecting a snow ride.

Instead, the trail surface was firm wet and as good a condition as we ever get on this trail system that is kitty litter and moon dust in summer. PNWish stuff. About 40 degrees and perfect comfort in the winter fit. Decided to step back into a nice after ride (after COVID) local brewery reward for the effort.

DA1E5CB5-8FC3-46F6-A55C-9213A06BB9C8.jpeg

55592AFB-C2A5-41A2-BB04-033428C79ACF.jpeg

FC215666-2E91-4F41-BF1F-190369728827.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were some really inviting patches on the north facing slopes of Peavine. If the lifts weren't still turning, I would be tempted to pack the skis on the bike and ski some...
tempImagejfQD6H.png
tempImagegNaXxm.png
tempImageOpmgZ0.png
tempImageAPBtxQ.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied yesterday, biked today.

Biked two days ago (first "real" mtb ride), skiing today.

And tomorrow, and, and, and.....

Last week of lift ops here, and winter has made a nice reappearance!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Biked two days ago (first "real" mtb ride), skiing today.

And tomorrow, and, and, and.....
I rode beaver lakes yesterday morning just when the snow started, trails were frozen firm(pretty much perfect). Skiing was also very GOOD yesterday, hopefully tomorrow's forecast delivers!! If your heading up today, under 4 was awesome yesterday and I don't think there was many tracks besides my own through there...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode beaver lakes yesterday morning just when the snow started, trails were frozen firm(pretty much perfect). Skiing was also very GOOD yesterday, hopefully tomorrow's forecast delivers!! If your heading up today, under 4 was awesome yesterday and I don't think there was many tracks besides my own through there...

The ski hill was superb today, also. Loving the unexpected return of actual winter weather. Under 4, Chute, Langley, North Bowl Face, all good. Lower ungroomed got a little mashed-potatoey around noon. Darn sun.

MTB not so good. Snuck over to my local secret valley, and last night's freeze had made for ice mud. Legs were jello anyway.

Tomorrow is looking a bit tricky. The soft corn is going to lock up tight tonight, and they keep pushing the start of the "big snow" later and later, to around 8 or 9 AM when I last checked.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First "regular" mtb ride of the season, though the ski hill still looks mighty good in the background (lift-served season is over for us, though).

IMG_0798.JPG

And the temp sure felt more appropriate for skiing!

IMG_0793.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 1
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Today was fantastic until I broke out the bubbly on a sharp hit. Had two of my sons riding today, rippin’ day got a little rowdy.

00734476-E787-4BDA-8033-D3328F059FB0.jpeg
FA8BFE21-BA03-46F1-8265-1627C85BE4F5.jpeg
64EBA2C6-D077-4869-81D3-4B926327FA2B.jpeg
CC22EB0A-1F27-405B-A6A8-CA34760BB102.jpeg

3605F0E0-CCC1-4882-AD6D-5A618BD8ABF0.jpeg

Was able to ride it out about a mile with only one stop for more air. Not too bad all things considered.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A little fun on the race whip today in windy, sunny Prescott AZ.

Winding up!

IMG_0819.JPG

Going up!

IMG_0820.JPG

Finally "sending" a 60 mm xc race bike back down (was dropping this yesterday on the trail bike)!

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818 2.JPG

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I made some 4 or 5 rides in last few weeks, but then weather decided not to play along and we have only around +10c, which is not mtb weather for me. On bike I prefer to wear clothes like @Tom K. on his last photos, not winter clothes so mtb will wait. But since also skiing season is over, I have plenty of time (I can't run just yet for 3h, so 1 to 1.5h/day of running gives you plenty time left), and decided I can just as well change tires on my mtb for new ones, that I otherwise had plan to change only in few weeks time :) Everyone are telling me how good these Vittorias are suppose to be, so I decided to give them a try. If nothing else they look nice :ogbiggrin:
20220418_121835.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On bike I prefer to wear clothes like @Tom K. on his last photos, not winter clothes so mtb will wait.

It was a little warm yesterday. Just 80 (27C for @Primoz), but a bit of a shock, without any significant shade, and coming from still cold, wintery Montana weather, so no baggies!

Everyone are telling me how good these Vittorias are suppose to be, so I decided to give them a try. If nothing else they look nice :ogbiggrin:

The Vittoria tires have a great rep, but they are not that easy to find in the USA. Maxxis has a tenacious hold on retail tire sales in my observations. My old LBS say "We have to actually sell other brands. With Maxxis, we just take the money and smile."

Personally, I get along great with Bontrager's XR2, XR3 and XR4 lineup.

Reactions: nay

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Everyone are telling me how good these Vittorias are suppose to be, so I decided to give them a try. If nothing else they look nice :ogbiggrin:
Low knobs those look really fast rolling.

Sponsor

Staff online