• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only a couple of inspection/coaching laps around the XC race loop for me, but my son had a great couple of days on the bike, as did the rest of the kids on our team.
thumbnail_Resized_Resized_20220925_113217.jpg

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bummer.

Does anyone have problems when taking photos while recording with Strava? Most of the time I take a photo I have to restart Strava after it gives me an error message saying it crashed. It doesn't lose data if I remember to restart before I resume riding. Really annoying. This happens to me and a couple of friends. We all have different androids. Please, don't tell me to apple-up.

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar issues. I'm fed up and hope to get enough feedback to present my case to them.

View attachment 179116
I have not had this issue with my Samsung Galaxy S21. When I stop to take photos I think about your issue, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for your feedback. Do you have GPS on for tagging location in photos? That is, I have not tried turning tagging off. I just turned it off and we'll see how Strava responds.

1664213027032.png

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I'll drop this here. Anyone run one of these PNW Coast droppers that has a bit(40mm) of suspension? I prefer the simplicity of a rigid post, but my bike storage in our RV requires me to pull my seatpost. A dropper would make that unnecessary so Im kinda thinking of putting one on. Plus a dropper would be nice for the obvious riding benefits, plus abit of 'suspension' for my hardtail doesn't sound like a horrible idea, for my back... Although putting a 610g post on and taking off a 250g post isn't small either.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'll drop this here. Anyone run one of these PNW Coast droppers that has a bit(40mm) of suspension? I prefer the simplicity of a rigid post, but my bike storage in our RV requires me to pull my seatpost. A dropper would make that unnecessary so Im kinda thinking of putting one on. Plus a dropper would be nice for the obvious riding benefits, plus abit of 'suspension' for my hardtail doesn't sound like a horrible idea, for my back... Although putting a 610g post on and taking off a 250g post isn't small either.

I see what you did there. :)

I have no experience, but the idea of dropper and suspension is nice. I've only run a very old suspension post back in the late '90s, early 00s, on a hard tail. It used elastomers and wasn't as effective as this one purports to be. It was nice to have any cush' in the tush so I was sad when a friend replaced it on the bike and just left the suspension post with the LBS. The bike still gets ridden occasionally when the FS is in for service. It's a ti Voodoo dejab. It climbs like a goat.

voodoo dejab - 20171008_120252.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll drop this here. Anyone run one of these PNW Coast droppers that has a bit(40mm) of suspension?

Is that like the RS XPLR that is fully rigid in the fully up and down positions, then has squish anywhere in between?

Cool concept.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is that like the RS XPLR that is fully rigid in the fully up and down positions, then has squish anywhere in between?

Cool concept.
I have an old Reverb that squishes when you want it rigid, gets stuck low when you want it high, & just plain doesn’t work when you really need it!
:doh::roflmao::doh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have an old Reverb that squishes when you want it rigid, gets stuck low when you want it high, & just plain doesn’t work when you really need it!
I just had my Reverb serviced. He cycled out the old control line fluid, replacing it of course. My dropper wouldn't function when cold and functioned poorly when warm. Now it is great although it doesn't drop from full extension effortlessly; if it is a smidge below full extension it is slick as snot. I was considering replacing it with something totally different but now I may have the coin to upgrade to an Eagle cassette, although I'm not sure I really want to as I can't spin fast enough to balance with the drive train I have now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My wife's Trek Lush was afflicted with the same malady on a road trip 5 years ago and the bike shop gave me this quick fix, which remains effective to this day.

Tip bike upside down on the floor, resting on the seat and bars.

While one person depresses the hated RS plunger-style dropper lever, another person pushes down on the bike, collapsing the dropper to its lowest position.

Release plunger lever.

Wait 30 seconds.

Depress plunger lever again, allowing dropper to extend fully.

Repeat twice.

My guess is that this allows the dreaded bubble in the hydraulic dropper mech to float to the top and dissipate?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just had my Reverb serviced. He cycled out the old control line fluid, replacing it of course. My dropper wouldn't function when cold and functioned poorly when warm. Now it is great although it doesn't drop from full extension effortlessly; if it is a smidge below full extension it is slick as snot. I was considering replacing it with something totally different but now I may have the coin to upgrade to an Eagle cassette, although I'm not sure I really want to as I can't spin fast enough to balance with the drive train I have now.
This is a recently installed never used 2015 reverb so I am not sure anything short of a total rebuild would help. The slow as molasses symptoms and temperature related performance sound the same. I have a history with reverb dropper posts that has been nothing but disappointing. Yeah, if you get the opportunity I would replace it with something completely different. I am trying not to dump a bunch of money into this bike as it will go up for sale as soon as I find a replacement.

My wife's Trek Lush was afflicted with the same malady on a road trip 5 years ago and the bike shop gave me this quick fix, which remains effective to this day.

Tip bike upside down on the floor, resting on the seat and bars.

While one person depresses the hated RS plunger-style dropper lever, another person pushes down on the bike, collapsing the dropper to its lowest position.

Release plunger lever.

Wait 30 seconds.

Depress plunger lever again, allowing dropper to extend fully.

Repeat twice.

My guess is that this allows the dreaded bubble in the hydraulic dropper mech to float to the top and dissipate?
I will try your fix although my experience with turning my bike upside down has usually had negative results, either creating an issue with the brake fluid or the dropper. Once while riding Slickrock trail in Moab I flipped it over for a minute to adjust something & when I flipped it back dropper post failure!
28253F6D-6765-496C-A464-3C5E9850F0D1.jpeg

Luckily the crew at Poison Spider where able to fix it overnight.
1832FDC3-C315-4859-BEBC-5D789752A92F.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had a great ride today on a trail I've only ridden once before.

IMG_20220927_100140398.jpg
The Tenderfoot Trail starts up near the water towers above Dillon. We started on the connector which eliminates .5 miles of road and .5 miles of single track. This was a more aggressive than usual ride for KT and I wanted to give her a step up; she uses supplemental oxygen to mt. bike and ski.

IMG_20220927_104450567_HDR.jpg
Up we go. Looking south at Guyot and Baldy in Breck.

IMG_20220927_104506598_HDR.jpg
Another view of Dillon Reservoir. Many places in the county are 100% or just past. This was still getting ready for prime time foliage.

IMG_20220927_110122097.jpg
The trail follows contours a lot. It also climbs a lot. It is fairly unique in being a very desirable mt. bike trail AND a motorcycle trail. A lot of motorcycle trails take off to the northeast from the trail. We were passed by one motorcycle while we happened to be taking a break and saw 4 or so at a junction that were stopped; engines off. A fee hikers near the start and a few bikes along the way. Riding midweek has its rewards.

IMG_20220927_113702524.jpg
There was a lot of virga the whole time. Only once did it threaten rain. There was thunder at that point too, but it was not near.

IMG_20220927_104555675.jpg

Summit County in all its glory.

IMG_20220927_115933400.jpg
This section is called 'pickup sticks'. The direction we were going made it a sweet decent.

IMG_20220927_120236323.jpg

Below pickup sticks and approaching the landfill and shooting range. The former is a bit stinky, the latter was closed.

IMG_20220927_125026944_HDR.jpg
Along Oro Grande, the way back to the beginning.

strava7788723180150266916.jpg

1664326928161.png

The climbing was only a little bit challenging in places, mostly from motos spinning and loosening the tread. KT had a great time. I carried her spare batteries. I think she'd happily do it again. I know I would. As this was my second time on the loop I had 14 achievements, all but two were '2nd best'. :rolleyes: One PR. It's funny how that works. People will think I was racing it or something. ;)

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Road some trails aways up chinook pass yesterday. Nearly 30 mile loop, 2k of climbing, I wanted to go farther and higher but my food and water supply was diminishing quicker than anticipated. Super gnarly decent on the singletrack, either rocks, roots, or both. Got my arse kicked on that one.

29E618CA-FB81-4DF1-B811-8B08BC91027C.jpeg

5A1B5702-291A-428C-BEAA-5BCD674C1FA7.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Road some trails aways up chinook pass yesterday. Nearly 30 mile loop, 2k of climbing, I wanted to go farther and higher but my food and water supply was diminishing quicker than anticipated. Super gnarly decent on the singletrack, either rocks, roots, or both. Got my arse kicked on that one.

Skookum Flats? Palisades? Ranger Creek? Suntop? Northway?

Been awhile since I suffered up and down those.....

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Skookum Flats? Palisades? Ranger Creek? Suntop? Northway?

Been awhile since I suffered up and down those.....

Lil Naches area, Pyramid Peak trail.

Why do the photos always look so much more mellow than I remember it being like??