• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a ride up to the summit of Brundage Mountain Resort in ID yesterday.

One of the most pleasant ski area summit trails I've ever ridden. Nothing steep -- well, a bit of rocky tech in the last half mile -- then 10 miles later you're at the summit. Fun stuff with some great scenery and fall colors.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

Our two friends pictured are on the cusp of turning 70 and still getting after it!!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

One of the most pleasant ski area summit trails I've ever ridden. Nothing steep -- well, a bit of rocky tech in the last half mile -- then 10 miles later you're at the summit. Fun stuff with some great scenery and fall colors.

View attachment 179348

View attachment 179349

View attachment 179351

Our two friends pictured are on the cusp of turning 70 and still getting after it!!!
I've been wanting to check out Brundage, both winter and summer. Too many places to visit, not enough time!

I sat the week out until today as Covid was still causing fatigue and even a reemergence of the fever on Monday. Fall either fell all week and I missed it, or it's not very remarkable this year. It poured rain last night with an impressive thunder storm, and the trail had a lot of standing water and downed trees. I'm not going to lie, riding through the middle of a huge puddle and having water splash up all over me is giggle worthy. I couldn't stand sitting around for one more day so rolled the dice with the water and am glad I did.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Probably my favorite kinda ride today. Winding backroads through vineyards and orchards, gravel double track up the ridge and then some blasting fun singletrack across the top of the ridge.

571455F7-F7C6-482C-89C9-227E0D893F1F.jpeg

Warning! Not a mountain bike, but it’s got knobby tyres and it’s singletrack.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I've been wanting to check out Brundage, both winter and summer. Too many places to visit, not enough time!

I sat the week out until today as Covid was still causing fatigue and even a reemergence of the fever on Monday. Fall either fell all week and I missed it, or it's not very remarkable this year. It poured rain last night with an impressive thunder storm, and the trail had a lot of standing water and downed trees. I'm not going to lie, riding through the middle of a huge puddle and having water splash up all over me is giggle worthy. I couldn't stand sitting around for one more day so rolled the dice with the water and am glad I did.
Hope you are feeling better! I don't think Fall has fallen, I think it is just very late. Most of the trees in my hood haven't even begun to change or fall. Where did you ride today?
Yesterday did a shortened ride with a few of the usual suspects at Deer Valley & got a little wet but it was still fun! Only minimal color change over there as well.
101F51CE-6712-42F0-B389-C0A0A6F4FBCC.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you are feeling better! I don't think Fall has fallen, I think it is just very late. Most of the trees in my hood haven't even begun to change or fall. Where did you ride today?
Yesterday did a shortened ride with a few of the usual suspects at Deer Valley & got a little wet but it was still fun! Only minimal color change over there as well.
View attachment 179396
Rode Green Pond today but didn't ride the whole loop as the usual suspect switchbacks were a clay mud mess.
I'm finally feeling about 95%. It's been a long two weeks!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I looked that fungus up it is considered a pathogen. Maybe it is the way of the forest.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 179348

View attachment 179349

View attachment 179351

Show us the rocks not the old dudes, but much respect.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Rode Green Pond today but didn't ride the whole loop as the usual suspect switchbacks were a clay mud mess.
I'm finally feeling about 95%. It's been a long two weeks!
Day 13 I finally tested negative. Went to pick up the kids and my legs were wobbly walking to the car..,

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 13 I finally tested negative. Went to pick up the kids and my legs were wobbly walking to the car..,
Yep, going up the stairs in my house was becoming quite the chore. I hope you're feeling better!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I looked that fungus up it is considered a pathogen. Maybe it is the way of the forest.

The Cowboy Bar in Jackson WY is trimmed out in this stuff (smaller diameter). They have a great sign about what it is, but darned if I can remember the details. It's been a long time since I was young enough to ski all day, then shoot a few games of pool there. :geek:

Show us the rocks not the old dudes, but much respect.

The remainder of the group passed on the last portion, so tough to get photos, but the riding was not that tough. The sidehill exposure was significant, but not terrible.

OriginalDayWlkr

Impossible is nothing...
Skier
View attachment 179396
And here I thought you were taking a picture of me, but clearly it was of the clouds...

4ster

Instructor
And here I thought you were taking a picture of me, but clearly it was of the clouds...
You, I thought that was a Squatch!
9DD06A59-E359-4D93-B671-B10F1E2B1E83.jpeg

Welcome to SkiTalk, now you can make important contributions to stuff like the 185 page (so far) never ending Stockli thread…

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You ruined the cloud picture!
I can ride weekdays ;) especially with tennis being over.

Any fall pics? I feel like any leaves that were there were blown off during the storm two nights ago. I have some incredible pictures of Green Pond leaves from 5 years ago, and that same spot on the trail was pretty much bare yesterday.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
After I have no idea how many years of bugging from every possible friend who rides mtb, I finally gave up and got myself dropper, so I guess I will be riding so much better now :roflmao: On bad side, it looks like we switched some geographical zones in last few days, and we have monsoon season, so after 4 months of not even a drop of rain (or maybe a bit of exaggeration but my weather station say we got 150mm of rain from beginning of May till end of August), we have now constant downpour for more then week with more then 500mm of rain in less then 10 days. And as that wouldn't be enough, I'm feeling sort of sick for 3 days already, which means, I can't go out and test this new toy, and there's certainly no way to know how much better I will be riding now :roflmao:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
After I have no idea how many years of bugging from every possible friend who rides mtb, I finally gave up and got myself dropper, so I guess I will be riding so much better now :roflmao: On bad side, it looks like we switched some geographical zones in last few days, and we have monsoon season, so after 4 months of not even a drop of rain (or maybe a bit of exaggeration but my weather station say we got 150mm of rain from beginning of May till end of August), we have now constant downpour for more then week with more then 500mm of rain in less then 10 days. And as that wouldn't be enough, I'm feeling sort of sick for 3 days already, which means, I can't go out and test this new toy, and there's certainly no way to know how much better I will be riding now :roflmao:
#rocketship

4ster

Instructor
After I have no idea how many years of bugging from every possible friend who rides mtb, I finally gave up and got myself dropper, so I guess I will be riding so much better now :roflmao:
I remember a number of years ago and a few bikes back a friend who had been a competitive cyclist growing up and still active in club racing came to visit me in Tahoe. We went for what to me was a big ride with some moderately technical sections along the way. The whole way up he ranted at me about how dropper posts were a waste and none of his world class racing friends would go near them. Blah, blah, blah, blah too much weight blah, blah, blah no skill blah, blah, blah and on and on even though he was dabbing while I was cleaning minor rock gardens by simply dropping my seat a couple inches on the climb. When we turned around for the downhill it was no contest, I literally left him in the dust and I was riding directly over fun features that he was going around.
The next summer when he showed up in his lycra kit & his weight weenie bike, he was sporting a dropper post :roflmao::bikewheelie:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
The next summer when he showed up in his lycra kit & his weight weenie bike, he was sporting a dropper post :roflmao::bikewheelie:
Hmmm... that could literally be me :roflmao:I managed without it just fine. I didn't feel I need it, so why adding extra 200-300g to bike (plus few 100eur) for something that I can do just fine without... until I went last time with my brother's new bike.... well next day it was ordered. Well almost next day, as I needed to made my homework first and find out which one I want :)

4ster

Instructor
Hmmm... that could literally be me :roflmao:I managed without it just fine. I didn't feel I need it, so why adding extra 200-300g to bike (plus few 100eur) for something that I can do just fine without... until I went last time with my brother's new bike.... well next day it was ordered. Well almost next day, as I needed to made my homework first and find out which one I want :)
Lol, I was the same with suspension 30 yrs ago…
5446944B-0754-45F9-8455-0ABC24C4A711.jpeg
Which one did you get?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online