• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm... that could literally be me :roflmao:I managed without it just fine. I didn't feel I need it, so why adding extra 200-300g to bike (plus few 100eur) for something that I can do just fine without... until I went last time with my brother's new bike.... well next day it was ordered. Well almost next day, as I needed to made my homework first and find out which one I want :)
Ha! Me too...Six years ago my husband got a new bike with a dropper. I understood WHY it was used, but thought it was excessive...I was just fine without it. Then we went to Moab, and I rented a bike with a dropper. The rest is history.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
With my last bike being an early 90s Rock Hopper with no niceties, including suspension, I was thrilled to get a full squish bike. But the dropper post was the schizzz. How had we not figured this out years/decades ago? Going downhill on rough stuff without dropping the seat feels awful. So far forward, can't move the bike under you, just unpleasant. VIVA LA DROPPER!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
With my last bike being an early 90s Rock Hopper with no niceties, including suspension, I was thrilled to get a full squish bike. But the dropper post was the schizzz. How had we not figured this out years/decades ago? Going downhill on rough stuff without dropping the seat feels awful. So far forward, can't move the bike under you, just unpleasant. VIVA LA DROPPER!
Well they have had some very rudimentary dropper type devices before... Like the HiteRite..
1664572710138.png

Most of us just jam the seat into our gut when going steep....

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well they have had some very rudimentary dropper type devices before... Like the HiteRite..
View attachment 179460

Most of us just jam the seat into our gut when going steep....
If I put my gut on the back of the seat I wouldn't be able to reach the handle bars!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Put me in the meh column for droppers. Have one, tried to like it, but in the end I just don’t care enough to use it.

My brother.

Rode one for a month just to shut people up. Still disliked it.

The crazy thing is that I've been doing this long enough -- 35 years -- that I realize why droppers were developed, but also realize that with modern geometry and 29 inch wheels, there is no need whatsoever for them for the vast majority of riders.

Example: Riding up Hymasa and down Captain Ahab in Moab, there is one move where I require a dropper, and that is a move with consequences such that I wouldn't consider riding it anyway.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Back in the day, I was so far off the back my ass started dragging on the tire. Which was a Panasonic smoke. I had this image of my bits getting dragged into the brake bridge... :roflmao: I managed it though. I would likely not bother riding that stuff anymore.,... I'm with ^ that guy...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can’t say that the dropper is a life changer. I tend to set it and forget it, but still use it. I get more efficient power when it’s up but will drop when the trail gets steeper or more dangerous. Mine has a left hand finger lever. It came with the bike. I like it but it’s not necessary.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I probably use my dropper more than my shifter, especially in twisty downhills with the occasional ups. I realize it may be different on an analog bike.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@4ster after plenty of thinking and checking (whole 2 days :ogbiggrin:) I went with friends suggestion who said to go either OneUp or PNW Loam, but took 125mm PNW Loam on the end, as I had 15% discount in one of German web stores, and they had only PNW. Will see (hopefully soon) if it was good or bad decision, but from what I saw on web, most of people are quite happy with it, so I think it will be just fine.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
but also realize that with modern geometry and 29 inch wheels, there is no need whatsoever for them for the vast majority of riders.
Not sure if this is true or not, but I have/had pretty much same opinion. On my old HT, it would actually be more useful as I have more issues getting behind the seat on step and technical terrain. On current fully, getting behind seat is no big deal and it goes automatically, and that's why I wasn't even thinking much about getting one until now. I'm sure it all depends what stuff someone is riding, and I'm not saying I'm riding some crazy stuff, but I still have quite a bit of trails that are not really meant for regular xc guys and I do manage to get down pretty bad enduro trails around here with my xc FS. I'm sure with dropper it will be easier, but I made it just fine even without it until now, so I'm not sure it's really going to be life changer.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We did figure it out. Got mine over 20 years ago

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this is true or not, but I have/had pretty much same opinion.

I have to say there is a huge caveat to my opinion on droppers. I've ridden a few of the current enduro bikes with super steep seat tube angles and you kind of need a dropper on them. The seat is so far forward that when you stand to descend it's right there in the way. Kind of unnerving at first.

This kind of starts at 77 degree STAs and gets really noticeable at 78 degrees. Many call these "winch and plummet" bikes, and they honestly don't make a lot of sense for general trail riding applications.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to say there is a huge caveat to my opinion on droppers. I've ridden a few of the current enduro bikes with super steep seat tube angles and you kind of need a dropper on them. The seat is so far forward that when you stand to descend it's right there in the way. Kind of unnerving at first.

This kind of starts at 77 degree STAs and gets really noticeable at 78 degrees. Many call these "winch and plummet" bikes, and they honestly don't make a lot of sense for general trail riding applications.
Why is that?

OriginalDayWlkr

Impossible is nothing...
Skier
You, I thought that was a Squatch!
View attachment 179437

Welcome to SkiTalk, now you can make important contributions to stuff like the 185 page (so far) never ending Stockli thread…
Squatch? I actually shaved that day, besides its not like we were riding in Northern California :). Not sure I would be able to contribute to the Stockli thread - I only have 3 pair with 2 more on the way.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Any bike that is more DH focused with modern geo needs a dropper. The SJ Evo is still a trail bike (full aggressive end of the spectrum), and I will do longer rides on it, but at 6’ 2” I am running a 210mm OneUp dropper at full extension. I replaced the Specialized 170mm dropper specifically to get it further down into the tube to keep the seat lower.

I think people who have ridden for a long time and still for example prefer a longer stem on modern geo will ride more like the magazine cover @scott43 posted anyway (and hips up is good form vs. the safety of the back seat). On longer, slacker bike you are going to kill yourself with that idea.

A12BC4B9-FDE0-4C7D-B95C-C0245EBB496A.jpeg

Sponsor