• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
40° plus yesterday, wind and no overnight freeze melted what snow there was on the south facing local trails.
It’s all extra credit at this point but super happy to get out and make some laps…
08FAD596-656C-4491-8F7B-36001C6E51E5.gif

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful cold (19 degrees), crisp, sunny winter day, but the larch are nearly done with their iridescent yellow phase, and transitioning to a rusty look. :(

IMG_1392.JPG

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In response to @Doug Briggs about leaf blowing in Maine. Some trail systems allow and encourage it and others don't. I believe it's based on opinions as to whether it causes damage to the trails. My local trails, Mt Appetite in Auburn ME, are good with leaf blowing. I have a battery powered blower and four batteries. It takes care of what I want to do in one session. Once the leaves start falling, it's a ongoing job. I'm retired and have plenty of time. I also look upon it as good pre-season ski training. I haven't heard any complaints about clear trails.

Attachments

• PXL_20221105_153955757.jpg
    PXL_20221105_153955757.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221028_172052191.jpg
    PXL_20221028_172052191.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221028_172004124.jpg
    PXL_20221028_172004124.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221031_151410719.jpg
    PXL_20221031_151410719.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221031_151404891.jpg
    PXL_20221031_151404891.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221031_151401355.jpg
    PXL_20221031_151401355.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 4

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If I were on those trails, I'd appreciate a visible tread. There are too many things that can be hidden. Thanks, @aveski.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went for what may be the last ride (again? ;-) ) of the season a couple days ago. Buena Vista, CO doesn't have oodles of trails like Breck but what it does have is lots of fun. They have some technical trails that will challenge the best riders, like Broken Boyfriend and Unchained. I skipped those as my shoulder is still not 100%.

IMG_20221108_114659364.jpg

The Collegiate Peaks. The Arkansas river is visible on the left. It is an extremely popular and challenging river for rafting and paddling.

IMG_20221108_122926898.jpg

A picture of a bike leaning against something.

IMG_20221108_142111895_HDR.jpg

Yucca, right?

strava7650548252172858077.jpg

It was windy but temperate. Another delightful day on the trail. There were still only trivial patches of snow and/or ice and only in the shaded sections of the railroad grade. Who knows, maybe I'll get a ride in next week? :-o

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just rolled into Bentonville for a couple of days.

Getting chilly down there, soon!

We're headed there for the second half of April, so any intel you can share will be appreciated.

"Road" ride yesterday. The trails were great, but I've ridden them plenty this season, so the studded fat bike took to the White Ice Highways for a change of pace.

IMG_1402.JPG

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
9D9DF02E-FF4D-4F40-A077-E1C1E50436B6.jpeg

Not sure how many more days me and my non-studded tyres are going to last on the trails. The compact snow/ice is starting to take over. But thats ok, skied yesterday, mtb today, can’t complain. Although I will complain, about 30 seconds after I took this pic a loose dog bit me right on the leg-TWICE! It’s been getting worse with hikers and loose dogs that have zero control. I dont want to be that guy, but Im almost at the point of pepper spraying any loose dog that charges me.:(

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 182817

Not sure how many more days me and my non-studded tyres are going to last on the trails. The compact snow/ice is starting to take over. But thats ok, skied yesterday, mtb today, can’t complain. Although I will complain, about 30 seconds after I took this pic a loose dog bit me right on the leg-TWICE! It’s been getting worse with hikers and loose dogs that have zero control. I dont want to be that guy, but Im almost at the point of pepper spraying any loose dog that charges me.:(
Yikes! What did the owner do? Did it break skin?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Yikes! What did the owner do? Did it break skin?

They were apologetic and I was just frusterated. Yeah it broke the skin in a couple spots. I wasnt too worried at the moment, my wife was more concerned when I got home. Im usually a ‘rub some spit and dirt on it’ kinda guy, but I put some antiseptic cream on it…

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They were apologetic and I was just frusterated. Yeah it broke the skin in a couple spots. I wasnt too worried at the moment, my wife was more concerned when I got home. Im usually a ‘rub some spit and dirt on it’ kinda guy, but I put some antiseptic cream on it…
Wives are there to keep us alive, after the dirt wears off!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
dont want to be that guy, but Im almost at the point of pepper spraying any loose dog that charges me.:(
That sucks! I hope you’re ok.
I got attacked by a Pit Bull once while riding. I carried a big mini-pump at the time & was able to pull it off the frame & smack him a few times before he could do much damage. The owner couldn’t do anything because the 2nd dog who was leashed was going to pull his arms off trying to get at me. All his wife could do was yell at me to stop hitting her dog!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Erik's video above makes me wonder...are there any other MTB areas that regularly debate leaf blowing trails in the fall? It seems to come up ALL THE TIME, on local (NH) Facebook groups.

Ultimately, it will come down to whether or not the landowner is okay with it or not. But there tend to be long discussions online debating if it's:
A) Good for the trails: Breakdown of leaves on the trails creates muddy areas, which ruin trails and eventually have people create ride arounds.
B) Bad for the trails: Leaves help protect the integrity of the trails over the winter, and "fill-in" areas that would otherwise be muddy and have extra roots due to lots of trail use.

Is this just a NH thing? New England debate? Everywhere?

We don’t debate it, we just do it. Across the line, in WI they try inCanle as well, all though they have an uphill battle with all the oaks and fewer locals.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how many more days me and my non-studded tyres are going to last on the trails. The compact snow/ice is starting to take over. But thats ok, skied yesterday, mtb today, can’t complain.

I've got a pair of studded 29er tires you're welcome to, since I do all of that kind of riding on the fat bike, with studs. They are just gathering dust, hanging from the garage ceiling.

Although I will complain, about 30 seconds after I took this pic a loose dog bit me right on the leg-TWICE! It’s been getting worse with hikers and loose dogs that have zero control. I dont want to be that guy, but Im almost at the point of pepper spraying any loose dog that charges me.:(

So world's biggest dog lover here.

Make sure and report that dog to animal control, no matter how little detailed information you have.

The next bite could be a small child.

Everywhere. Here the issue is frost heave- because we never consistently freeze. At the very top of the thread I posted a pic of a trail wrecked by it.

We get that too, here in MT, and also had it in OR. Seems dependent on soil moisture levels, temperature profiles, and exposure.

It always kills me to see people riding on it.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Everywhere. Here the issue is frost heave- because we never consistently freeze. At the very top of the thread I posted a pic of a trail wrecked by it.

View attachment 182843
We see that in the spring. It is a sign that the mud isn't too soft to ride. Not much later in the day, though, stay off.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We see that in the spring. It is a sign that the mud isn't too soft to ride. Not much later in the day, though, stay off.

yes. now imagine that being all winter because ALL our winter is no better than your spring conditions. And because it's in an urban area it gets poached all the time. So the only thing for a wise park manager to do is keep leaves on.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
yes. now imagine that being all winter because ALL our winter is no better than your spring conditions. And because it's in an urban area it gets poached all the time. So the only thing for a wise park manager to do is keep leaves on.
I'm picking up what you're putting down.