• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K., I had to look that one up: https://silkysaws.com/silky-bigboy-2000-folding-saw/. Mighty impressive. The teeth are like on my Leatherman Wave. They are quite fearsome. I'm always amazed at what my Leatherman's 3" blade will cut through, and how quickly.

I've been contemplating a system to attach my saw to my downtube which has a square with rounded corner profile. I'd need a good bag for it to keep it from damage although the blade is fully protected in its packed mode. Keep us posted on your scabbard efforts as I will you.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I know. My posts are like a broken record. :rolleyes:

Another sunny, cool and a bit breezy day made for a great ride in Buena Vista. We mixed it up by riding the Midland Bike trail all the way to Fistful, down and up Fistful, then up Sausage Link and down Bacon Bits; we have been doing Sausage to Bacon first instead of later. Great fun and terrific riding.

I'm trying to post pictures from different locations to keep from being toooo boring.

IMG_20221126_114444117.jpg

The trailhead on CR 315.

IMG_20221126_115314838.jpg
The Midland Trail is a former narrow gauge railroad line.

IMG_20221126_125558311.jpg

What a gorgeous bike!

IMG_20221126_125618620.jpg

IMG_20221126_141926185.jpg

strava1765270638371716590.jpg

Same line, different path.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Finally back out on two wheels, it feels like it's been much longer than it really has been. I rode 3 miles in 45 minutes and a mile of that being push-a-bike tonight.. I was attempting to do the fairly quick 6 mile look that I can get too behind my work place. With all the snow we have gotten recently, the trail I tried to ride was still way too soft for fat tires even at super low pressures. Turned around after seeing a Moose on trail and was getting frustrated at holding a straight riding line.
20221205_183204.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Getting little sis hooked on fat biking.

Post-ride, we proceeded directly to the bike shop, where she totally blew her Christmas budget in one fell swoop!

A bigger swoop than the bike she was riding?

I'm sure I know nothing about fat bike geo, it's just the juxtaposition of 'little' and what looked like a cramped cockpit tickled my funny bone.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure I know nothing about fat bike geo, it's just the juxtaposition of 'little' and what looked like a cramped cockpit tickled my funny bone.

Agree 100%.

And, just to show how personal fit is on mtbs, she actually purchased the next size down from the bike in the photo.

To be fair, it was 10 degrees and she was wearing a metric shit ton of clothes.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Somedays I question why I ride. It was -36f at the coldest point on tonights ride. I learned multiple things about different bits of gear I have. Rear tire was lower than I wanted it so I got out my Fabric pump anndd.. it was so cold I couldn't get it onto the valve. That's fine cause I carry a second pump in case something happens. Second pump is my OneUp EDC 100cc pump and it went on the valve stem fine but there was no resistance when pumping, the internals were not sealing and no air was coming out. I had to futz around with them both for about 10 minutes before I finally was able to get the Fabric pump to seal and actually put air in the tire. Got the bike rolling and went to shift and the SRAM XX1 shifter felt like a non indexed friction shifter covered in glue. Thankfully the gears all popped into place and worked fine, it just felt terrible. Dropper post is fully mechanical and worked very slowly and the brakes existed.. I'm just glad everything stayed functional.

I do rather like what the light did to the clouds coming off of me.. looks pretty cool.
20221222_185602.jpg

Fricken cold.
20221222_185629.jpg

It was a 5 mile, 50 minute ride at -36f in the dark. I'm not sure if it was fun.
20221222_192945.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somedays I question why I ride. It was -36f at the coldest point on tonights ride.

Fricken cold.

It was a 5 mile, 50 minute ride at -36f in the dark. I'm not sure if it was fun.

For me, -36F is too cold, but maybe necessary in your neck of the woods?!

My ride yesterday was glorious at -10F, sunny, and not a breath of wind, but I wasn't stopping for any pictures!

Thanks for the intel on the OneUp EDC pump, as that is what I carry in the wintertime. I'll have to test it during the next cold snap.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For me, -36F is too cold, but maybe necessary in your neck of the woods?!

My ride yesterday was glorious at -10F, sunny, and not a breath of wind, but I wasn't stopping for any pictures!

Thanks for the intel on the OneUp EDC pump, as that is what I carry in the wintertime. I'll have to test it during the next cold snap.
Do you swap it pumps based on temperature/season? Enquiring minds and all. It is it inquiring? :huh:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't know I needed temp specific pumps till yesterday. Usually bring the floor pump to set the initial tire pressure a bit high and drop from there for the trail conditions. Forgot the floor pump and had to get things working with the two hand pumps yesterday. I have specific pumps for each type of bike.. the mountain and fat bike use each of the two mentioned. I really like the Fabric pump for the fatbike as it's got a short flexible hose and large air volume. I guess it's getting promoted to only pump and leaving the oneup at home.

Chain lube worked great! winter lube is Boesheild T-9. Essentially it's oil, it claims it drys to a waxy coating but it doesn't. Just stays a nice light oil. It's the winter lube of choice for chains, pedals, wheel bearings, and anything else we need up here. Winter riding is great for the drivetrain, nothing gets dirty!

-36f is pushing it for my own personal limits and my bike. Even warming up 10 degrees to -26f is a huge difference in functionality of the bike and body. And yeah, if i didn't try to ride at these temps, there would be weeks on end that I wouldn't get to ride a bike. My wife can't handle me if I go to long without a bike ride.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you breathe when it is that cold? I think it'd send me into a full-blown asthma attack.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Boesheild T-9. Essentially it's oil, it claims it drys to a waxy coating but it doesn't. Just stays a nice light oil. It's the winter lube of choice for chains, pedals, wheel bearings, and anything else we need up here. Winter riding is great for the drivetrain, nothing gets dirty!

Yep, have some right here as it happens. And its fast.

Sponsor

Staff online