• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Weeks/Moody trails ?
I love that place
This one
B64F9E61-AB2A-4FB5-8CDD-77B4828DA4DA.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hamblen - haven’t done that one yet.
What was it like ?
All fun flow trails, mostly dirt with some tech here and there. A few challenging but not ass kicking ascents. The easier side of blue for the most part. A few features in one section. Almost empty. My friend lives around Portland so has brought his young kids there. A guy we met gave us some suggestions which were right on, then we explored, a little over 2 hours total and there was more to do. There are also connectors to other trail systems. 15 or 20 minutes from 95 south. Bring the bugspray.

I wanted to swim in the ocean afterwards but had to get back for the Celtics. What is an ok beach close to the highway? Doesn’t have to be perfect, just a place to swim. Old Orchard isn’t too far out of the way but I am looking for like 10 minutes.

The tolls will start getting busy on Sunday afternoons.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
All fun flow trails, mostly dirt with some tech here and there. A few challenging but not ass kicking ascents. The easier side of blue for the most part. A few features in one section. Almost empty. My friend lives around Portland so has brought his young kids there. A guy we met gave us some suggestions which were right on, then we explored, a little over 2 hours total and there was more to do. There are also connectors to other trail systems. 15 or 20 minutes from 95 south. Bring the bugspray.

I wanted to swim in the ocean afterwards but had to get back for the Celtics. What is an ok beach close to the highway? Doesn’t have to be perfect, just a place to swim. Old Orchard isn’t too far out of the way but I am looking for like 10 minutes.

Sounds great - except for the bugs. They sure popped out quick and thick. Last few years haven't been bad at all, hardly any mosquitos, Pay back time it seems.

Lots of beaches close to the highway. Problem is as soon as you leave the highway you're stuck like at OOB. And worse the farther south you go from there.
Wells or York are probably the closest - but only as the crow flies...

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Crescent Beach state Park in Cape Elizabeth. Scarborough Beach state park. Willard Beach in South Portland.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick pic of the dormant ski area while out on today's ride.

IMG_0895.JPG

I haven't been in pic mode. After five ! years off, the racing bug has reappeared, largely due to kind of falling into a Trek Supercaliber, which is so dang fast and smooth that it begs to go as fast as possible at all times.

So, a couple of 50s on the schedule -- 100s now seem unfathomable at age 63. :(

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have only been out a handful of times in the past month since arriving in Tahoe as we keep switching back to winter & getting ski days.
9880EC1A-8C17-4D7F-9693-2FF4D8863225.jpeg

592AB527-2DA0-43DA-9920-63F90CCE321B.jpeg

F733B5B5-48AF-419A-BF28-3273F66547D2.jpeg

Yesterday I rode with my neighbors out to Armstrong Connector & Corral Loop trails. This very popular area was completely burned during last summer’s Caldor fire. TAMBA (Tahoe area mountain bike association) got special permission to get in there right away last Fall to begin trail rehabilitation. As a result the trail is clear & in great shape but the whole area is devastated by fire & all the trees are burnt statues that will eventually need to be removed. Right now they will certainly be a hazard on windy days.
l have been riding this area since the early eighties & I think I was too shocked to take any pictures. I will get back soon & make sure I do…
742F00B8-D2F6-4FCB-8C5B-D538F2574005.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’m in Gunnison (just me) and took a nice evening ride, pushed some pace, dropped some tech, realized my derailleur was loose and that’s partially why I have been sucking, and pre-rode a bit of the Growler coming up over Memorial Day weekend that is re-routed for a lot more tech this year.

I’m not riding it, although black diamond finish makes me want to, but I’m aware that the ultra light XC hard tail people will ultimately be just fine because this race is 100% uphill.

Still, how’s this look at about mile 39?

BE85691D-5F63-4EB3-BDBD-9BC9FD17BDF6.jpeg
0DA86511-C2C8-4655-A64B-8B0690E2C1B9.jpeg
1F0CF318-E229-4F90-83E0-3E8A68F0A37E.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like you would want to know the lines before the race.

Good reminder to check parts and bolts for anything that needs to be tightened or tweaked. I had a little creek in my headset/handlebars so it might need an adjustment. It’s probably too long of a wait to get a shop tuneup but I bet my spokes could use some adjustments too. I can do the headset but am not that confident with carbon and don’t want to make a $5.000 mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Looks like a race I'd love! My favorite thing about mtb endurance racing is that it is NOT all engine. Skill required.

I'd slap some 2.35 XR2 tires on the Supercaliber for a bit of extra cush and have some fast fun.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looks like a race I'd love! My favorite thing about mtb endurance racing is that it is NOT all engine. Skill required.

I'd slap some 2.35 XR2 tires on the Supercaliber for a bit of extra cush and have some fast fun.
Here’s some stuff from Rattlesnake yesterday. I really need to get a short travel bike again for riding out here. There are a lot of big features, but most of them roll so it’s not repeated big hit steep terrain. My Stumpy Evo is a blast out here, but you pay for it by about 15 miles.

I think there were some competitive XC riders out here last year who will fall back quick a bit on this course given some tech I saw them walk.

Crested Butte out in the distance in these pics.

2BE8A6A6-676D-46C6-8FD3-FE749A4D9121.jpeg
C1C5F14D-62AC-40AD-90E2-35F25DC096F1.jpeg
87A55E91-9F9B-4AC6-AAF5-A34224956BB6.jpeg

Some of this stuff is optional lines, but the A lines are always faster…

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was day two of the 2022 bike season for me. Off to the peninnsula for some guaranteed dry terrain.

It wasn't all that photogenic today with clouds, plus I was riding alone and enjoying not making as many stops.

IMG_20220517_122957839.jpg

Pasque flowers.

strava2242920649131143601.jpg

I was wishing Frisco'd update their map, then I remembered MTB Project. The signage on the Penninsula is ok, but could be better. I'm spoiled by the Breck trail systems signage.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d join up for the Weeks Moodys but am waiting for test results….

That rattlesnake trail is way out of my league - much less for a race.
Unfortunately I started too late to ever attempt something like that.
Almost missed ski season trying to learn to manual last fall.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another peninsula ride today, this time with KT. The sun was out and there was a pleasant breeze.

IMG_20220518_102846909.jpg

I've no clue what this is. You?

IMG_20220518_103826969.jpg

The north end of the Ten Mile range with 'Silent Bob' dead center.

IMG_20220518_103831587.jpg

Looking south towards Baldy and Red.

IMG_20220518_103941311_BURST001.jpg

KT loves to ride even with needing O2.

IMG_20220518_105750455.jpg

The reservoir is kind of low. Looking North towards with Buffalo on the upper left.

IMG_20220518_105951495.jpg

Wazat?

IMG_20220518_111205076.jpg

Pasque flowers.

strava3759636491318750936.jpg

This trail system is mostly single track built in the last 10 - 15 years. Primarly a smooth firm tread with occaisional sections of loose rock. Not a lot of big climbs with only a few hundred feet of elevation from the lake to the highest spot. Fun early terrain.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister