• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’ve still been riding, got COVID with my entire family over New Years so not doing anything right now (we’re fine, it’s exactly what is being said about being vaccinated and infected, I’m happy to get it this way, I wasn’t boosted yet).

This was before Christmas and our huge snow cycle (in the mountains, not my winter riding). The skiing has been lit, the riding really good still. Once of my winter riding areas (Pueblo) got so clogged up by tumbleweed in the huge wind event that led to the Boulder County firestorm that it’s not even opened back up yet.

My Salomon sponsored mountain running son beat me on the 12 mile loop with 2K vert by 10 minutes.

74A8660C-F5ED-4772-AC2C-4E6C05E70CE5.jpeg
7554002A-053D-4215-B56A-1518CB8FE5B4.jpeg
EC390123-DD46-4200-90CE-1558022D5FEC.jpeg
BF9F4475-5563-412B-981D-02B0DED126C2.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay, I'm glad you are doing well after COVID.
Thank you. The “70x more effectively in replicating in nasal tissue, 10x less effective in the lungs” for Omicron is just plain weird. I sound terrible, but it mostly just feels wonky now because there is nothing lower respiratory.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thank you. The “70x more effectively in replicating in nasal tissue, 10x less effective in the lungs” for Omicron is just plain weird. I sound terrible, but it mostly just feels wonky now because there is nothing lower respiratory.

I just went through 12 days of that sh*t - boosted, too. My sinuses were so choked I was getting random toothaches.

Reactions: nay

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've never tested positive but I've had this type of thing twice in two years. The skull behind my eyebrows hurt. No idea what is was but tough.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did you do the wet sauna thing? AKA dunking your face over a steaming pot of chamomile or mint tea and pulling a towel over your head for ~20 mins or your eyeballs feel like Chinese dumplings?

ALL the proper MTB trails here are sheathed in 2" of wet ice. No studs? Forget it - you're eating tree bark in 20 feet. Or less.

Reactions: nay
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Did you do the wet sauna thing? AKA dunking your face over a steaming pot of chamomile or mint tea and pulling a towel over your head for ~20 mins or your eyeballs feel like Chinese dumplings?

Neti Pot.

It works. I’m going to ride tomorrow, took the dogs for a good walk today, all hills.

Zero lung impact. Nil. Nada. It’s all turn your sinuses into seaweed while your body has a different head. Totally upside down.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well I went riding, lungs were great, conditions are perfect winter desert grippy, took a lame shot of myself even. Rode about 6 techy miles at typical pace, felt a lot better afterwards.

51262B08-7900-46E1-A8D0-F3EEA184B490.jpeg

In other news, this is what happened to my favorite local(ish) winter riding spot in Lake Pueblo where all the trails fall line drop off the plateau about the lake in half mile erosion canyon rips. The huge wind event that led to the fires outside of Boulder created a mega tumbleweed event here. Took some major volunteer work to get it cleared apparently.

89799F39-41B3-4B2B-9E66-CD7E0F1246DE.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got out for a little over 10 miles today. I turned around when one of the north faces had several hundred yards of snow on the trail. With more north faces to go I decided I didn't want to be up in there later in the afternoon. There are definitely some wet spots left too. I did portage through some if those so as to not wreck the trail any worse than it was.
20220128_141747.jpg

Pushed through here since A) it's not as flat as it looks and B) the rut was deep enoigh that I couldnt pedal.
20220128_142640.jpg

End of the trail, at least for me.

20220128_150851.jpg

Washing the bike off in winter kinda sucks.

scott43

Skier
Sounds like an indoor hockey weekend?!
Rinks are closed. We'll play some pond hockey. The boys are at the shoot the puck stage.. :ogbiggrin: And skiing tomorrow.

Funny story, I rented an indoor rink a few years ago over Christmas for some pick-up. Coldest Christmas in years..-25C or something. So I'm thinking, thank goodness we're playing indoors! Get inside the building and it's just as cold as outside! I fortunately had a toque and some long-johns in my bag. Ice was chipping up terribly. Yes, ice can be too cold.:geek::ogbiggrin:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Rinks are closed. We'll play some pond hockey. The boys are at the shoot the puck stage.. :ogbiggrin: And skiing tomorrow.

Funny story, I rented an indoor rink a few years ago over Christmas for some pick-up. Coldest Christmas in years..-25C or something. So I'm thinking, thank goodness we're playing indoors! Get inside the building and it's just as cold as outside! I fortunately had a toque and some long-johns in my bag. Ice was chipping up terribly. Yes, ice can be too cold.:geek::ogbiggrin:

ouch thats cold! I was never a big hockey player but i played my fair share of pond hockey down close to 0f. I never understood how my face could be so cold it felt numb, till something(puck,stick,shoulder) clipped my nose and it hurt so bad I was sure my nose wasnt attached to my face anymore…

scott43

Skier
ouch thats cold! I was never a big hockey player but i played my fair share of pond hockey down close to 0f. I never understood how my face could be so cold it felt numb, till something(puck,stick,shoulder) clipped my nose and it hurt so bad I was sure my nose wasnt attached to my face anymore…
Oh yeah! We used to go out on the snowmobiles, pre-helmet days, and your face would be froze and then you'd get into the bush a bit and get whipped in the face by them Red Dogwood bushes. Man it felt like daggers cutting your face off!! :ogbiggrin: Best part of snowmobile helmets is keeping your face intact!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The story of riding today can be summed up by the dead frozen field mouse about 30 feet in front of the main stop sign at the park. Just a tiny little lump of ice, belly up in the road. With not one tire mark on it because people are mostly not insane.

Yeh, no way was I going to fish the phone out to take a snap. Even the hungry foxes weren't stupid enough to fight that cold wind for long enough to snap up half a bite of lunch.

Sponsor

Staff online