• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Waiting for the flats advocates to chime in here on how they manage this. :ogbiggrin:
Scoop! Same way we do rear wheel lifts and bunny hops. Good skills to learn with flats. You can pull with a good pair of flats and the correct pedals pretty effectively. I focus on using my glutes and hamstrings while riding a lot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Scoop! Same way we do rear wheel lifts and bunny hops. Good skills to learn with flats. You can pull with a good pair of flats and the correct pedals pretty effectively. I focus on using my glutes and hamstrings while riding a lot.
You know you're pulling when you end up with hammy cramps later that night!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You know you're pulling when you end up with hammy cramps later that night!
I had that happen this week...but then realized it was from "deadlifting" 42 pounds of cat litter at Costco! :roflmao: But yes, my hamstrings can get pretty fatigued on longer rides.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ya idk about bunny hops on steep uphill except as last resort but I don’t race anyways. I was going to race last year but busted my shoulder training.
On an easy ride I like to goof around with hops, wheelie, rear wheelie. I need to work on the wheelie drop which I used to be pretty good at.
Not a training thing but on Saturday I coasted no hands standing up for around 30 seconds. I’ve been practicing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Video of single legged pedaling?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The first outing for the Mach 6 and no better place than the annual GT bike park trip

18B8AEA1-5163-45AE-84D2-09D2D8F5B10C.jpeg

off the top off sidewinder
E79729B9-FB68-4E4A-9F3E-014FE2BA388D.jpeg

New lift in progress off in the distance, replacing the cat skiing terrain
BA7A959C-8F1F-45FA-9AF1-FABB6DB49E94.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
DVO came through with awesome customer service when I finally got around to sending back my busted Jade X coil shock. The Stumpjumper Evo is known for eating shocks generally and coil shocks don’t take side loading well. For the price of service @ $130 they swapped me out for their new Topaz air shock that DVO has further beefed up for e-bikes.

I really like it so far, much better than the lifeless Fox X2 that hugs the ground and stays there. It’s a couple hundred grams lighter as well, for what that’s worth. I haven’t been riding as much as I’d like as the monsoon continues to go nuts, thankfully, and it’s end of quarter tomorrow, but still getting in 2-3 rides a week.

Color scheme is the most important thing here, clearly. Makes me tempted to put my topaz alloy pedals back on, except alloy pedals like to hold onto rocks.

094DB03C-DE3B-4CDB-8528-AE054B8B9B06.jpeg

B57E7321-95C3-4480-AAA4-AB39E65C0601.jpeg

B09C0238-D712-4377-A1B3-61DEEDFF9D2D.jpeg
C5BB9264-0C47-4708-AD43-1391AEAB82FB.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
DVO came through with awesome customer service when I finally got around to sending back my busted Jade X coil shock. The Stumpjumper Evo is known for eating shocks generally and coil shocks don’t take side loading well. For the price of service @ $130 they swapped me out for their new Topaz air shock that DVO has further beefed up for e-bikes.

I really like it so far, much better than the lifeless Fox X2 that hugs the ground and stays there. It’s a couple hundred grams lighter as well, for what that’s worth. I haven’t been riding as much as I’d like as the monsoon continues to go nuts, thankfully, and it’s end of quarter tomorrow, but still getting in 2-3 rides a week.

Color scheme is the most important thing here, clearly. Makes me tempted to put my topaz alloy pedals back on, except alloy pedals like to hold onto rocks.

View attachment 174191
View attachment 174194

View attachment 174192 View attachment 174193
If it comes in a case like that, I don't even want to think about what it costs.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 174191
View attachment 174194

View attachment 174192 View attachment 174193
That's purdy!

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If it comes in a case like that, I don't even want to think about what it costs.
DVO is actually priced below the standard Fox stuff. The included shock pump is a nice touch.

DVO uses a bladder system rather than IPF, which is something that’s been in motocross design for a long time. At least on this bike, I really like the performance difference and it’s very easy to keep the shock tuned. It has a single rebound dial and three compression settings: closed/trial/open. The bladder tunes by variable pressure setting.

They are good about providing usable maintenance instructions for DIY, which is good, because shops generally don’t work on anything but Fox or Rockshox.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like it so far, much better than the lifeless Fox X2 that hugs the ground and stays there.

Huh. This is what I love, love, love about the X2.

No skipping around. All traction, all the time.

But I can tune any ride I want into the X2, what with externally adjustable HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A week after suffering mightily through the Butte 50 mtb race, I figured I was recovered enough for a fairly stout ride with a young friend.

Turns out I was wrong about that, but nevertheless, it was a banner day, and we finished before it got too warm!

IMG_0039 copy.jpg

IMG_0040 copy.jpg

IMG_0041 copy.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally dragged it out after several (many?) weeks off the bike. Even with the magic button I was toast after 11 miles today. I stayed off the longer climbs and ran through some of the more rocky, technical stuff. You may not forget how to ride but it takes a while to get the shoe-on-the-pedal feel back, along with trusting the tires.
VideoCapture_20220801-111435.jpg
VideoCapture_20220801-111444.jpg
VideoCapture_20220801-112520.jpg

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally dragged it out after several (many?) weeks of the bike. Even with the magic button I was toast after 11 miles today. I stayed off the longer climbs and ran through some of the more rocky, technical stuff. You may not forget how to ride but it takes a while to get the shoe-on-the-pedal feel back, along with trusting the tires. View attachment 174429 View attachment 174430 View attachment 174431
You need to cut out some of those annoying cables; they're obstructing my view.

Sponsor

Staff online