• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Mountain Biking

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
On a 32mm stem with 800mm handlebars and a 37mm offset fork (27.5 tires), you have to do something very unexpected like dig into a soft shoulder at speed to go OTB, and that probably only occurred because the wheel twisted due to the unexpected soft dirt dig.
My steam is still 90mm, handlebar is only 74cm, and forks are suppose to have 44mm offset with 29" tires, but then again, I'm one of very few weirdos who still ride xc bikes these days, so I'm not really factor here. Maybe that's reason why I should be excused I only bought dropper now :roflmao: Now that I have it, I just need to remember to use it, as last time I went, I didn't even bother to press trigger to lower it. Well not that I didn't bother, but I didn't even think on doing that... gotta remember on this next time I'm on top of downhill :roflmao:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you use your Timberbell? That should get them out of the way!
It was on but I was climbing on a smooth section so SURPRISE!
So you can actually see while climbing?

I'm typically in a bleery, foggy haze.....

I've only run into that once, but it was near Eugene OR, so, hippies! :roflmao:
These two looked a bit strung out--hippies in Utah!
Did you at least tell them to "Get a room!"
I said "alrighty, then! Maybe go up into the bushes and off the trail?!" It was hilarious.

On a more serious note for the peanut gallery: My fork is not rebounding to full travel when it's aired up to the recommended PSI of 60. Yet it's also not using but maybe 2/3 of the travel. How can I get more functional use out of this shock? Add spacers? Remove spacers? It rides OK, but with only 120mm of travel, I'd sure like to get full use of it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Supposed to start snowing this weekend. Riding every night this week to get the last bit of dirt riding in before it turns to snow. Almost time to put the full sus up and bust out the studded fat bike.

Of note is that Otso just dropped a new fat bike with massive tire clearance and reasonable q-factor. Most of my riding is on packed snow, but this one has me wondering......

On a more serious note for the peanut gallery: My fork is not rebounding to full travel when it's aired up to the recommended PSI of 60. Yet it's also not using but maybe 2/3 of the travel. How can I get more functional use out of this shock? Add spacers? Remove spacers? It rides OK, but with only 120mm of travel, I'd sure like to get full use of it.

I'd try 3 things:

1. Make sure your rebound damping is set very light so the fork can extend fully.

2. Remove all spacers (VRs) from your fork. This might ultimately require using a bit more than your current 60 psi, but if you're only getting 2/3 of travel, probably not. While the fork has no pressure, bottom it out and measure to ensure it's able to travel 120 mm.

3. When reinflating the fork, go up in 25 pound increments, with 5 or 6 compressions between each step of pressure. This is a bigger deal on shocks, but sometimes matters with forks also.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. I was going to get a 9zero7 Lynx frame this winter and move all my parts over but I ended up building up a Checkpoint ALR (totally worth it) and buying a 2023 Fuel EX frame for my wife. Bike budget is a bit blown for getting a new fat bike.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Of note is that Otso just dropped a new fat bike with massive tire clearance and reasonable q-factor. Most of my riding is on packed snow, but this one has me wondering......

I'd try 3 things:

1. Make sure your rebound damping is set very light so the fork can extend fully.

2. Remove all spacers (VRs) from your fork. This might ultimately require using a bit more than your current 60 psi, but if you're only getting 2/3 of travel, probably not. While the fork has no pressure, bottom it out and measure to ensure it's able to travel 120 mm.

3. When reinflating the fork, go up in 25 pound increments, with 5 or 6 compressions between each step of pressure. This is a bigger deal on shocks, but sometimes matters with forks also.
Thank you! Which direction is light on the rebound? Slow? A lot of this suspension stuff muddles my brain like algebra does. I did have a feeling I'd need to remove the spacers--I've done it in the past on other bikes. Once again, if you don't fall into the middle of the male sizing spectrum, these things are not even remotely set up for success of the rider.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you! Which direction is light on the rebound? Slow? A lot of this suspension stuff muddles my brain like algebra does. I did have a feeling I'd need to remove the spacers--I've done it in the past on other bikes. Once again, if you don't fall into the middle of the male sizing spectrum, these things are not even remotely set up for success of the rider.
Sounds like something is blocking the air somewhere. What male and model fork. I just found the manual and set mine to spec as it needed a bit of air. Works great but now it’s a little stiff but doesn’t bottom out as much.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Less rebound damping will speed up the rebound. That should help you get back to full travel so the suspension doesn't pack out on repeated hits.
I found these two videos did a really good job of explaining suspension setup and settings.
Setup
Adjustment

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What is your tire pressure? Too low and the tires absorb more of a hit and then the suspension doesn't get the hit. I saw a good video by a custom shock company that does work for high end ohv shocks. They explained that for the suspension to work its best the impacts can't be masked by soft tires. I am guessing the same is true for bike suspensions.

Edit: here is the video. Granted, they're talking bigger machines and higher speeds but the premise is similar. Keep watching until they drop the car from the forklift!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you! Which direction is light on the rebound? Slow?

Open. Faster. If the fork/bike is upside down, counter-clockwise.

Also, @Wilhelmson makes a good point. For awhile, Fox and RS forks often came with so much grease that the equalization port between positive and negative chambers was clogged, which could result in exactly the problem you're having.

I just have all my new OEM forks given a quick "lowers service" to make sure this isn't the case. @utskier can undoubtedly set you up!

Once again, if you don't fall into the middle of the male sizing spectrum, these things are not even remotely set up for success of the rider.

Yes, it was a sad day that Trek -- and many others -- did away with their WSD (women's specific design) lineup. An old road riding friend has ended up pretty high in Giant's sales structure, and he is so pleased that this happened. Liv -- Giant's WSD brand -- sales went through the roof.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the equalization port between positive and negative chambers was clogged
Thank you for the explanation. That’s why is suggested a reset according to the manual, with extra equitation compressions as you suggested.

When I do brakes I usually bleed them twice just to be sure they won’t annoy me later, but if I am in town I just let the shop don it :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For today’s adventure, I had a grouse attack me by jumping on my back! I knew they could be aggressive but thought they’d go after the legs. I squawked and got her off then she continued pursuing me. She is my spirit animal-fierce defender of her offspring.

Stopped by the shop where I purchased the bike and asked about the fork. It's definitely not working properly. He suspects the same thing TomK said--grease is blocking the air from moving between the chambers. I am dropping it off on Monday to have him pull it apart and clean it up. If that doesn't work, then I'll pull some of the spacers out.
B2793778-734D-4586-AC8E-ABB857A532F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stopped by the shop where I purchased the bike and asked about the fork. It's definitely not working properly. He suspects the same thing TomK said--grease is blocking the air from moving between the chambers. I am dropping it off on Monday to have him pull it apart and clean it up. If that doesn't work, then I'll pull some of the spacers out.

Don't you weight like next to nothing? Just have them pull the volume reducers out while they've already got it apart. IMO.

In other news, our unbelievable golden larch season is just getting started......

IMG_1251.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't you weight like next to nothing? Just have them pull the volume reducers out while they've already got it apart. IMO.

In other news, our unbelievable golden larch season is just getting started......

View attachment 179919
I weigh 130. I can ask them to do that for me.
Haven't seen the larches in person. Need to get up there in the fall sometime!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For today’s adventure, I had a grouse attack me
A few years ago, I had a grouse fly up and slam into the side of my helmet while I was descending Sardine. I did not know what hit me until I stopped and went back and found the grouse staggering around on the trail. I guess we are trespassing in their habitat. We have also had them chase skiers at the resort.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago, I had a grouse fly up and slam into the side of my helmet while I was descending Sardine. I did not know what hit me until I stopped and went back and found the grouse staggering around on the trail. I guess we are trespassing in their habitat. We have also had them chase skiers at the resort.
They are aggressive little things! This one landed on me and hung on then wouldn't stop coming after me. I didn't know they were out and about during ski season.

We're doing a night ride tonight at North Fork as part of the NUT since we can't participate in tomorrow's festivities--college fair time :geek:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
They are aggressive little things! This one landed on me and hung on then wouldn't stop coming after me. I didn't know they were out and about during ski season.
You’ve never experienced the excitement when one comes flying out of the powder right in front of you when you least expect it, it is quite the thrill! :geek:
4F54F77B-13D5-4325-80E4-32CD2C3C0D82.gif

The grouse seem to be quite active as I have also had a number of encounters this week while riding. Although the fall colors don’t seem to be as impressive as last year at this time, they do seem to be getting better every day.
A few photos from this week…
AFAEFD75-059F-4360-9ED3-E6BBE5119E2D.jpeg

4A669410-F392-431D-A9C6-A9A2641A242C.jpeg

51DDDDA3-ABFB-492F-98E4-E75AF5F3F614.jpeg

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't know they were out and about during ski season.
They burrow in the snow and come flying out when the snow near them is disturbed. A few years ago I was doing avalanche mitigation in a steep, narrow chute on DeMoisy Peak. The snow pack was fragile due to wind loading and I was carefully inching my way into position to detonate an explosive. Right when I was getting ready to light the fuse, a couple of grouse came thundering out of their burrows. Until I realized what I had heard, I thought the slope was collapsing. It definitely got my heart racing because all my senses were on high alert due to the snow conditions that day.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like @AmyPJ ’s fork has something going on, but it’s also good to remember that it is not ‘better’ to have a fork extend fully, even in it‘s unweighted state.
With modern airsprings, the big negative springs can suck the fork down a bit. If the fork manufacturer looks to engineer that out, they have to compromise performance somewhere else. (Rockshox 2021 Lyrik is a good example).

So I prefer to think of it this way:
  • Am I getting the suspension feel I want
  • am I getting the sagged ride height I want
If the first is good, but the second is not, than I can look at installing a longer travel air shaft, or a crown race extender, or maybe even simply raising my bars!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January