• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not so much to avoid meeting the revenue collectors but out of respect for the residents.
That’s a key point. If people are doing 40-50 through a town it makes it nearly impossible to pull out. Now on Staten Island, you just pull out anyway, or you get no respect and you’ll never get out. Though I haven’t driven there since cell phones exploded, so it may be even worse.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Tried reading though this thread for a timetable but all I gather is early Spring/late March. Is this accurate?

Historically the NEG has been in late March; this year we're still working on the location (Killington or Saddleback; see the poll).

Dates will be decided in late November once the poll closes, but in all likelihood, the NEG will be a three day event on either the last weekend of March or the first weekend in April.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty good at that AFTER I've skied, but on the way to the hill I have trouble being patient.
Seconded.

I'm pretty good at slowing for villages--i learned to drive in western Maine, and even in driver's ed they pointed out that when the speed limit quickly dropped, it would be a productive place for cops to hang out. A couple of the classic Vermont traps hardly count as villages, though (Plymouth, I'm looking at you).

Of course, one benefit of most of my ski driving being rather early to arrive at an appropriate hour for a race coach is that most people driving at that hour have somewhere to be and are driving accordingly, plus there's usually not a lot of traffic patrols until later in the morning.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is absolutely true going through towns in NE where the limit is reduced even 5 mph. Local LE and even State Police will park right where the limit drops. For most other places 55 MPH limit means your'e good if you keep it under 70, IME.

I got my ticket heading out of a small town maybe 300 feet before the 55mph sign. Accelerated too soon. There were troopers on both ends. This was North Troy up near Jay Peak. Fun times! Lesson learned.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my ticket heading out of a small town maybe 300 feet before the 55mph sign. Accelerated too soon. There were troopers on both ends. This was North Troy up near Jay Peak. Fun times! Lesson learned.
It does make me wonder sometimes about what drives the logic behind where those signs are placed.

I do get that where there are stores and schools and a post office you're going to have pedestrians, and cars pulling in and out, and what have you. Common sense.

At the margins I'm not so sure. In very rural areas here the density of housing that triggers an "entering village" slowdown appears to be about the same density that triggers a "go ahead and speed back up" sign in the suburbs. :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey, $4million in VT in 2017. Plymouth gave out over 2,500 tickets that year.
We’re not exaggerating about that place.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're headed east on Rt 2 from Gorham, N.H., it's a similar situation—the village limit stay in effect until you cross the railroad tracks, at which point it's already gone from a clearly dense downtown to a road that feels much more like rural two-lane. Conveniently for the cops, there's an intersection just past the sign with plenty of room for them to pull off and have good line of sight in both directions.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
A couple of the classic Vermont traps hardly count as villages, though (Plymouth, I'm looking at you).

Plymouth used to be a village. The ski area closed, and the general store faded out. It's kind of sad there now.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My family had a rental up the hill there for a few years after it was defunct as a place to ski Killington. It was a nice place overall but had funky plumbing( iIncinolet toilets, a bidet, a tiny corner shower in a huge bathroom.) and a snowmobile trail right next to it. You also absolutely needed 4WD/AWD to get to it. It was probably relatively cheap for my father to rent it for several seasons. I have some good memories from there skiing with friends and family.
ETA: I always wondered about skiing Roundtop but not enough to waste time on one of my limited ski weekends hiking it.

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
My family had a rental up the hill there for a few years after it was defunct as a place to ski Killington. It was a nice place overall but had funky plumbing( iIncinolet toilets, a bidet, a tiny corner shower in a huge bathroom.) and a snowmobile trail right next to it. You also absolutely needed 4WD/AWD to get to it.

I think I might have bought this place :) Creating good family memories is priceless though.

James

Out There
Instructor
It didn’t last that long as Bear Creek. There was an instructor from Okemo who went there to be S.S. director but had a heart attack and died maybe before the season started. Sad, was in his 50’s I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online