• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Vermont will always win a poll if only for location. The obvious solution is to go to the K Cup in Nov and Saddleback in March.

We might convince ourselves to visit some friends at Killington in early March but its just dumbly expensive for a family of 4 to ski off pass for a weekend.

Watch out, lodging is getting booked out very quickly this season.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I assume they’re building the outdoor water park? Since SkiTalk people who go to Maine would rather visit frozen waterfalls.
When all the lifts are on wind hold, it's nice to have something else to do.

I love t-bars, my favorite is the one at Breck...with the 30* left turn about 1/3 of the way up, it's where most of the snowboarders fall off. :D

The Bateau t-bar at Sugarloaf used to be a great way to get out of the wind and avoid the lines on Spillway . I've been there before where the Spillway lift was backed up and I'd just run laps on the t-bar with no more than 1-2 people in front of me in line.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The curious thing is that lift at Stowe has been replaced like 3 times(?) since the days of the poncho blankets on the single or double.

In all those years, and with the master plan of Spruce, could we not extend the lift two towers so you not only don’t have the hike, but can get there from the gondola side without tucking and terrorizing little kids?

According to a post on Lift Blog James is going to get his wish:

Stowe Mountain Resort, Mountain Lift: The replacement and extension of the existing fixed-grip triple to a high-speed 6-person lift will increase uphill capacity by 100%, eliminate the steep hike to the base of the lift, improve reliability on windy days and offer beginner and intermediate guests with better access to lower-level terrain choices.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Stowe Mountain Resort, Mountain Lift: The replacement and extension of the existing fixed-grip triple to a high-speed 6-person lift will increase uphill capacity by 100%, eliminate the steep hike to the base of the lift, improve reliability on windy days and offer beginner and intermediate guests with better access to lower-level terrain choices.

That's nice news to hear.

James

Out There
Instructor

Is that the main lift?
Isn’t it A) a quad B) detachable

So, something’s wrong.
@Erik Timmerman ,@KevinF ?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that the main lift?
Isn’t it A) a quad B) detachable
No... it's the far looker's left lift that goes up left of Hayride...

EDIT: I suppose the new lift will also eliminate people going mach schell past it to get up the hill to the quad? (Assuming the new base will be lower and in a different place than the old base.)

James

Out There
Instructor
E52C65F7-A22D-4E51-83F6-8AF4753E1FBA.png
So the Mountain triple?
Does anyone ever come out of the lodge and take that? Never in my life have I done such a thing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that’s even worse. You climb the Hillary Step, just to get to the triple??

I guess, when the quad is a 30min wait.
Hillary Step?!? :roflmao:

But yeah... that would be how you get to the triple... I suppose if they're eliminating the hike, the base will be down closer to the lodge?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There are many days where Stowe’s triple is the only thing running due to wind holds. There are a lot of low-angle trees accessible off the triple; most of it isn’t on the map though.

Sounds like they’re lowering the base of the triple to be beside the lodge? First I’ve heard of it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
No... it's the far looker's left lift that goes up left of Hayride...

EDIT: I suppose the new lift will also eliminate people going mach schell past it to get up the hill to the quad? (Assuming the new base will be lower and in a different place than the old base.)

The triple runs over Hackett’s Highway. You can get to the bottom half of Hayride and Tres Amigos glades from the triple.

There’s no way you can carry enough speed past the existing triple base to make it to the quad. It’s too flat in that area to gain much speed; it’s hard to make it to the double, let alone the quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online