• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got photos of Tony throwing away Killington ballots.
Meanwhile, they’re offering cash for Killington votes.
Actually I'm fine with Killington. It will be good for me. (A Mainer does have to keep up appearances, though.)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon guys... please leave the political stuff out of this. Don't make me close this thread!!

(Now you're probably asking yourself... is he joking, or not? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost track myself. So I guess you have to ask yourself one question... do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punks?)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon guys... please leave the political stuff out of this. Don't make me close this thread!!

(Now you're probably asking yourself... is he joking, or not? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost track myself. So I guess you have to ask yourself one question... do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punks?)
First Pug: "Who's this Bostedo again?"
Second Pug: "He's like the vice principal of SkiTalk!"
First Pug: [looks around to see if the coast is clear] "Oh. Crap. Got it." [scurries away to find hall pass]

James

Out There
Instructor
Nah. I'm just offering an alternative to the dog (reindeer?) sled ride that's required to reach Saddleback.
I got just as much cash for voting Killington as I did for getting the vaccine! Then I can also change my vote a couple times and earn even more. By the time we get to bodies in a lodge, it’ll be free.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
<Gathermeister / moderator hat on>

I will echo @dbostedo 's earlier comments -- the political / vote counting / cash-for-votes / etc. posts have gotten old. Future references are going to get deleted.

Wherever the poll says we go -- that's where we're going. Everybody should have the ability to change their vote as they see fit.

<Gathermeister / moderator hat off>

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I thought the challenge was getting around the guy with the summer tires while avoiding the head-on with the overconfident guy with 4WD while avoiding the snowplow backing out of a driveway while avoiding the moose crossing the road...

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my last drive to Saddleback, leaving from Sunday River Resort area, I couldn't match the speed limit at times due to frost heaves and broken asphalt. Then to make it worse, I got on a road when I was almost there, but a few miles away, and got behind someone who decided 20 mph was as fast as they would go between frost heaves, too. Granted there were lots of frost heaves, but 20 mph for miles, is really stretching it. I finally passed them, elemmac's comment struck a nerve with me. New ski season, I am over it now ;)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have learned the hard way - those speed limits must be obeyed!

They can be waiting on both ends of a podunk town and will get you coming or going.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, a challenge to slow down in the 25-35 zones where they’re waiting to catch you. That’s what cruise control is really good for.
I was more talking about the 45 MPH dirt roads...They're not catching me for anything other than going 5 under.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s definitely a challenge to not be in the middle and maintain speed.
There must be some blanket limit on dirt roads, but don’t know. I rarely see signs. Like Manhattan is now 25mph.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s definitely a challenge to not be in the middle and maintain speed.
There must be some blanket limit on dirt roads, but don’t know. I rarely see signs. Like Manhattan is now 25mph.
Speed limits only matter if there's enforcement, and most gravel road don't see much. 35 MPH is a pretty common legislative limit on gravel, I think, but there are plenty of gravel roads where a 35 MPH average is reasonable but limiting yourself to 35 is silly.

The frost heaves between Bethel and Rangeley definitely keep you alert, especially if you have a skim coat of snow on the road. My truck got pretty squirrelly a few times last year when I decided to come the long way back from Sugarloaf, but it was tough to figure out exactly where the interesting spots were going to be until you were damn near on top of them.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have learned the hard way - those speed limits must be obeyed!

They can be waiting on both ends of a podunk town and will get you coming or going.
This is absolutely true going through towns in NE where the limit is reduced even 5 mph. Local LE and even State Police will park right where the limit drops. For most other places 55 MPH limit means your'e good if you keep it under 70, IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January