• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The triple runs over Hackett’s Highway. You can get to the bottom half of Hayride and Tres Amigos glades from the triple.

There’s no way you can carry enough speed past the existing triple base to make it to the quad. It’s too flat in that area to gain much speed; it’s hard to make it to the double, let alone the quad.
Hmm... I seem to recall trying to carry a lot of speed... maybe to not make it to the quad, but maybe just to get as far as possible? Or maybe it wasn't from the whole way over by the triple.... my memory is likely fuzzy.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ No way. It’s enough to get to the quad tucking the bottom of the Lookout Double area. - When you’re already skiers left 75 yds from the double. Let alone triple.

Well this gives us the option of taking the new six to get to the quad. No hike up.
A rope tow that runs from the lodge over ther would be nice. Otherwise we’ve got to put the skins on to get to the new six.

edit- the more I think about it, the triple is miles away. We’ll need an electric car. No, that’ll be dead it’s so cold.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^ No way. It’s enough to get to the quad tucking the bottom of the Lookout Double area. - When you’re already skiers left 75 yds from the double. Let alone triple.

Well this gives us the option of taking the new six to get to the quad. No hike up.
A rope tow that runs from the lodge over ther would be nice. Otherwise we’ve got to put the skins on to get to the new six.

edit- the more I think about it, the triple is miles away. We’ll need an electric car. No, that’ll be dead it’s so cold.
I must be misremembering just trying to get back to the quad from a nearby run... not from the whole way over by the triple.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I must be misremembering just trying to get back to the quad from a nearby run... not from the whole way over by the triple.
coast.PNG
Getting to the quad along the red lines I've drawn without a (small but annoying) uphill walk at the end takes quite a bit of speed.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
...through a crowd just exiting the stairway to heaven, yes?

They have started putting up ropes separating the walkers from the skiers trying to make it up to the quad, but there are definitely some close calls... Skiers heading down to the double / triple, skiers carrying speed to make it to the quad and the hikers leads to a crowded area for sure.

On @mdf 's map above, I usually take Crossover trail until I'm past the quad and then come down. That way you avoid the masses.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It would be nice if they kept a fixed grip chair lift for storms and wind.

James

Out There
Instructor
See, beside the walk up from the lodge, moving the Four Runner down would reduce collisions and near misses. A reduction of angst and terror.

Make sure you have food and water before heading up. At the top, you’re entering the Desth Zone of speeding skiers trying to make the lift.
BB395E1A-CAF0-4EE4-BD34-B8F74ACDA9DC.jpeg
“Some day, this hike is going to end.”

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
See, beside the walk up from the lodge, moving the Four Runner down would reduce collisions and near misses. A reduction of angst and terror.

Make sure you have food and water before heading up. At the top, you’re entering the Desth Zone of speeding skiers trying to make the lift.
View attachment 143032
“Some day, this hike is going to end.”
I like the way you managed to get the frigid wind into that photo.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the way you managed to get the frigid wind into that photo.
I like that there's a lollipop marker in the trees for some reason. Perhaps to guide those making the hike up the hill rather than the stairs?

James

Out There
Instructor
I like that there's a lollipop marker in the trees for some reason. Perhaps to guide those making the hike up the hill rather than the stairs?
The previous day to that photo became the rain day. I pulled into the lot down the end of those trees, first in the row place next to the snow.

Well it wasn’t snow, it was a frozen pond, the hill up was shiny and wet from the light rain. I’m standing at the trunk talking to the parking guy. We look up and see two patrollers with a sled peering down the top of the slope between the trees. They’re right in a line above us. We just stare up silent, thinking “Don’t do it…don’t do it…” No way are they stopping if they start diwn. At the least, something hits the car, at worst we get taken out too. Maybe we get out of the way, but we were frozen, mesmerized by watching an impending wreck. Thankfully, they thought better and went around.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It would be nice if they kept a fixed grip chair lift for storms and wind.

There's no wind at Stowe. Every evening it snows and every day is calm, warm and sunny. I hear it rivals Sugarloaf in that regard. :rolleyes:

@James , that is a great picture of the stairs! I have no clue why there's a lollipop in those woods though. As I said earlier; I much prefer hiking the slope instead of the stairs, but to each their own.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James , that is a great picture of the stairs! I have no clue why there's a lollipop in those woods though. As I said earlier; I much prefer hiking the slope instead of the stairs, but to each their own
Sometimes the snow is so hard…
Well either way the song remains the same.
Maybe they’ll put in a mid station on the hike!
BF796434-38A1-40F7-B016-0EA081CA140A.jpeg St Louis Art Museum
Edvard Munch, “At the bar, Stowe”. Clearly contemplating the hike up. After, it would get worse, leading to ptsd and the famous image everyone knows.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes the snow is so hard…
Well either way the song remains the same.
Maybe they’ll put in a mid station on the hike!
View attachment 143088 St Louis Art Museum
Edvard Munch, “At the bar, Stowe”. Clearly contemplating the hike up. After, it would get worse, leading to ptsd and the famous image everyone knows.
I want to like that one twice...

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
So sorry to interrupt this fabulous discussion of hiking at Stowe, but . . .

In an impulsive fit because I thought the sale was about to be over, I bought the 4-pack of tickets to Saddleback. I am definitely up for a trip there, although I'm only available week days.

When does the poll end and the decision get made? Or is the plan to discuss this throughout the summer and fall? ;)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So sorry to interrupt this fabulous discussion of hiking at Stowe, but . . .

In an impulsive fit because I thought the sale was about to be over, I bought the 4-pack of tickets to Saddleback. I am definitely up for a trip there, although I'm only available week days.

When does the poll end and the decision get made? Or is the plan to discuss this throughout the summer and fall? ;)
Poll closes on 11/22 so we still have almost two months and at least another 20 pages to go. Then we still have 4 months until the actual gathering.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today we hiked from the Peak Lodge up the true peak and then down to the Northridge in preparation for passholder's opening day.

Catwalk to Heaven

Catwalk trail around the corner

That's a great idea. Every day I fret about this year's hike out. Last year was a close call but I made it. I have been walking a mile most days in preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor