• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay hive mind, which skis am I taking to the mountain in the morning? Frontside-oriented but base high, or shit-on-groomers with a decent tune? Both are in the car and ready to go.

Looking forward to putting faces and names to the forum handles!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TJI: the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame will be having their east coast induction at at Killington this time next year. We should be there too!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay hive mind, which skis am I taking to the mountain in the morning? Frontside-oriented but base high, or shit-on-groomers with a decent tune? Both are in the car and ready to go.

How bad is the base high? I'd be leaning to front-side oriented....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will Saddleback be able to stay open till April???

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Frontside-oriented but base high, or shit-on-groomers with a decent tune? Both are in the car and ready to go.
Lots of crap in the snow depending on where you ski. My wife discovered that skis don't slide very well on dirt.................Got very slushy in the afternoon, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Snowing pretty good right now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I think it will have to be a game time decision. Definitely put both in the car.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
The mid mountain forecast for 8am tomorrow looks interesting....

12 degrees. Cold all night. Snowcone grooming.
43mph NW wind. This number is usually higher than observed, but exposed areas and peaks will be windy.
Calculated wind chill for those exposed areas is 12 below zero. Buckle up.
100% humidity. This means fog, ala today.

Followed by steady warming, clearing and calming. Closing out the day at 26 degrees, 20 mph wind, and nearly clear skies. (Killington cloud effect is always in play)

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thought we’re going to Canada next year.
Just sayin…
View attachment 165181
Week before was the same. Snow.
Yeah! I also thought the NEG was gonna be in Quebec next year. Less complicated to get to than backwoods ny and Vermont, or Maine - sorry @Tony S …peter loves it. The food in Quebec City is awesome….the only downside is we’d have to pay for lift tickets at msa and or le massif, since they aren’t on the main passes everyone has….I guessed we could also try tremblant, which is on the pass, but not sure how long they last into the Spring. Food in Montreal is also incredible.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Less complicated to get to than backwoods ny and Vermont, or Maine"

We used to head up to VT every weekend since the '70's. Stratton and Killington. Our place is 4 miles east of the Stratton access road.
Our usual route is BQE to RFK Bridge to The Bronx. Stay right on exit to Bruckner Expwy (I-278) to I-95. Take I-95 to New Haven and pick up I-91 from there. I-91 take you through CT, MA into VT without drama. VT exit 2 (RT 30) for Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley and Magic. Exit 6 (RT 103) to Ludlow (Okemo). Pick up RT 100 at Ludlow if you are heading further to Killington.

This route is really easy to drive especially in weather. Same travel time, just few miles longer. Bring a good radar detector for peace of mind.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to remind folks, please post Gathering pics and commentary in the trip report thread here:

Sponsor

Staff online