• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

James

Out There
Instructor
We’re just as likely to get solid ice or pow as slush bumps.
Killington is a big draw these days. The cancelled covid gathering was near forty, no?
Given that, we out to build a cabin there and declare victory.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I'm a noob on this forum and not sure how the gatherings work but I'll be at K every weekend. If my knee feels like it's holding up, I'll take an advanced group around if needed. I had ORIF surgery for a tibial plateau fracture 11 months ago so my knee is still iffy but so far it's good maybe 80%.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm a noob on this forum and not sure how the gatherings work but I'll be at K every weekend. If my knee feels like it's holding up, I'll take an advanced group around if needed. I had ORIF surgery for a tibial plateau fracture 11 months ago so my knee is still iffy but so far it's good maybe 80%.
It's a gathering of wandering cats. People will break off into various groups. You can join or depart from a group at will. At some point we may have a majority of us together in one place.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a gathering of wandering cats. People will break off into various groups. You can join or depart from a group at will. At some point we may have a majority of us together in one place.
There are several places on the mountain where the entire group can find something to challenge them and still meet up at a lodge or lift at the bottom. For example, Bear is great with Devil's Fiddle, Outer Limits, Wildfire, and Bear Claw.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are several places on the mountain where the entire group can find something to challenge them and still meet up at a lodge or lift at the bottom. For example, Bear is great with Devil's Fiddle, Outer Limits, Wildfire, and Bear Claw.

Let us not forget Devil's Den and Growler if there's enough snow.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To what extent do people tend to drop out at the last minute?
For this gathering, where the vast majority are traveling by car and live within a day's drive, and where the odds of poor weather and/or poor conditions are high, I'd say the drop out rate has the potential to be very high. Don't mean to be a downer but we all know that's the reality in New England. In this respect it's not like the national gatherings. (The combination of having plane tickets in hand, a week off of work, and the Rocky Mountain climate has a way of encouraging follow-through.)

At meals?
Typically at meals sub groups will convene or at least overlap. Of course there is always the odd early-breaker, or little pod of whippersnappers for whom lunch is a Clif Bar on the chair lift, that misses out.

Basically the key to successful social navigation at a gathering is always to be with some group or other. If you venture out on your own it can be surprisingly difficult to connect back up with the herd, especially at a big area.

Edit: by "meals" I mean lunch. Dinner is another thing.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Devil's Fiddle is one of my favorites just don't bring any skis you really care about in there, even with "good coverage".

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, I think about the original meet ups we had some 20+ years ago and someone said that "The Gathering" sounded like a religious kind of thing.
I chuckled and said,..."Well I guess we are of 'like faith'."
We gather together to share our passion for skiing and our faith that we will be blessed with snow.

Sometimes, we even pray to the God of Snow.
ullr-1.jpeg

Looking at the literal definition I cam almost here @KevinF or @dbostedo saying

SKITALKERS ASSEMBLE!!!

Definition:

gathering​

See synonyms for gathering
Translate gathering into Spanish

NOUN​

• An assembly or meeting, especially a social or festive one or one held for a specific purpose.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think follow through will be fairly high because lots already have a ticket, Ikon, and others are there anyway.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There have been a few posts about what "gatherings" entail, etc. At its essence is "get yourself to Killington and meet up with fellow SkiTalkers for a morning, a day, a weekend, etc." It's a chance to put faces to names.

As for who is welcome -- as Gathermeister, my rule has always been the same. If you are capable of skiing a blue groomer without making those around you fearful, you are welcome to attend and you'll have ski buddies. That said, a willingness to push your limits a bit -- ungroomed terrain, mild bumps, etc. -- will probably help your enjoyment. This is New England and as others have said above -- who knows what you'll find from day-to-day. We've had powder days where everything is a bump run, and we've had icy days where everything's been a groomer.

We've had numerous people volunteer to be guides who can provide sufficient notification of "this is about to get steep / bumpy / narrow; bail here if you're uncomfortable", etc., we'll meet you back at X lift. If you're struggling on a slope, somebody will probably dispense a few tips; regardless, we'll wait for you.

Gatherings are about people first, skiing second. If you come hoping to ski every slope at Killington over a three day weekend -- you'll probably be disappointed. If you come hoping to meet two dozen new friends and share countless laughs over a three day weekend -- you'll have a great time.

Hope to see you there!

James

Out There
Instructor
As for who is welcome -- as Gathermeister, my rule has always been the same. If you are capable of skiing a blue groomer without making those around you fearful, you are welcome to attend and you'll have ski buddies.
I don’t think you meant to exclude green skiers or beginners? Not that they should expect company on the slopes necessarily, but certainly welcome to come. (Just rarely, ever? happens for NEG)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I don’t think you meant to exclude green skiers or beginners? Not that they should expect company on the slopes necessarily, but certainly welcome to come. (Just rarely, ever? happens for NEG)
I was reluctant to come to a Gathering as a beginner, and probably for good reason. Starting skiing late in life leaves you vulnerable to continually feeling inferior to everybody except the kids on leashes. Since the leash kids quickly outgrow their leashes and begin passing you at full speed, even that pleasure doesn't last long. Trying to join a group of experts is intimidating! But I'm in full enthusiasm mode now that I'm a solid blue! (Depending on the resort, black, too. But slowly. And probably not Killington.)

My favorite place to ski is Okemo. So enough with the flat jokes.

I'm not crazy about spring skiing. I like my bases. I dislike pitching forward over my skis when they stop unexpectedly. I don't like slush. But I plan to come and enjoy the company, and see those faces behind the names, and screen names..

Sponsor

Staff online