• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
And besides, half the time spring is still winter.
I like winter skiing!

Maybe if you're a better skier, spring skiing is more fun? If you can carve, do you speed through the slush without it grabbing your skis? That would be more fun.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like winter skiing!

Maybe if you're a better skier, spring skiing is more fun? If you can carve, do you speed through the slush without it grabbing your skis?
No. Well, maybe. But that's beside the point. The point is that you ski steeper and bumpier stuff than normal because speed control is a deliciously spreadable non-issue.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
No. Well, maybe. But that's beside the point. The point is that you ski steeper and bumpier stuff than normal because speed control is a deliciously spreadable non-issue.
I'd better get some instruction on bumps before April. But I've been concentrating on carving. . .

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like winter skiing!

Maybe if you're a better skier, spring skiing is more fun? If you can carve, do you speed through the slush without it grabbing your skis? That would be more fun.

Spring skiing is one of the reasons I ski the entire winter so I can be in decent shape to enjoy the slush.

I'd better get some instruction on bumps before April. But I've been concentrating on carving. . .

Come to Taos gathering and you learn bumps are your friends. Good friends.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Schedule includes new grandbaby this year. Next year depends, in part, on what my pulmonologist thinks about me + altitude.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I like winter skiing!

Most skiers prefer a 2D groomed surface. Learning to manage skis in 3D winter snow with allow you to do the same in the Spring soft. Building endurance in your ski muscles during the season pays dividends.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's New England. I have had 70 degrees and thunder in February and powder days in April. In the very beginning of April at Killington's elevation, surfaces are more likely to be typical for winter than heavy slush. Just be prepared for anything. And expect big differences depending on exposure. Think firm and fast on the Superstar trails and heavy and soft at the bottom of Bear.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Slush and other highly variable conditions are one of those conditions that are infuriating until you "get it"... and then when you do, slush suddenly transitions into one of the most forgiving snow conditions imaginable.

As Bob Barnes liked to say -- "keep your skis going in the direction they're pointed, and if that doesn't work, point them in the direction they're going". :ogbiggrin:

I don't know that we've ever had a "real" spring skiing day at the NEG. I'm hoping that a week later in the calendar along with being a bit more south will bring us luck.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know that we've ever had a "real" spring skiing day at the NEG.
Well it rained at Stowe last time? Followed by deep freeze and pow. Oh, right, that could happen anytime.

There was some spring like snow at Sugarbush last time. After the fog and frozen.
3F364271-7DCA-4514-AF01-AAE8E6CA95D5.jpeg
Sugarbush, @mdf coming out of the fog attempting to recover. Can’t see the dirt ahead. Don’t remember how that time turned out.

A2740C40-927A-4808-8141-06FF03D6F6EC.jpeg
After the rain at Stowe, pow hiding frozen bumps. @Josh Matta on Nosedive.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There have been a few posts about what "gatherings" entail, etc. At its essence is "get yourself to Killington and meet up with fellow SkiTalkers for a morning, a day, a weekend, etc." It's a chance to put faces to names.

As for who is welcome -- as Gathermeister, my rule has always been the same. If you are capable of skiing a blue groomer without making those around you fearful, you are welcome to attend and you'll have ski buddies. That said, a willingness to push your limits a bit -- ungroomed terrain, mild bumps, etc. -- will probably help your enjoyment. This is New England and as others have said above -- who knows what you'll find from day-to-day. We've had powder days where everything is a bump run, and we've had icy days where everything's been a groomer.

We've had numerous people volunteer to be guides who can provide sufficient notification of "this is about to get steep / bumpy / narrow; bail here if you're uncomfortable", etc., we'll meet you back at X lift. If you're struggling on a slope, somebody will probably dispense a few tips; regardless, we'll wait for you.

Gatherings are about people first, skiing second. If you come hoping to ski every slope at Killington over a three day weekend -- you'll probably be disappointed. If you come hoping to meet two dozen new friends and share countless laughs over a three day weekend -- you'll have a great time.

Hope to see you there!
You pretty much nailed it.

Sponsor

Staff online