• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The location poll closed today; Killington won by a 29-20 margin over Saddleback, so this year's Gathering will be at Killington from April 1st through 3rd.

We will visit Saddleback in 2023, so I will be temporarily handing off the Gathermeister reins to @Tony S at the conclusion of the Killington event.

Roll call thread is here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2022-new-england-gathering-roll-call.25175/

Guides will be @Marker , @Guy in Shorts , @PinnacleJim and @Wannabeskibum (for the weekend).

Meetup locations will be by the Umbrella Bar by the Superstar Quad. Times:
  • Friday: 9:30AM
  • Saturday / Sunday: 9:00AM
Note that the K1 base lodge will not be available, although there are restrooms by the Umbrella Bar.

There's a Killington stoke thread here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2021-2022-killington-ski-resort-conditions-meetups.24998/ where GIS has been posting condition reports, etc.

Mark your calendars and feel free to post stoke, lodging, lift tickets, general gathering banter, etc. here.

Let the stoke begin!

index.jpg

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to it. I've already booked lodging at the Snowed Inn. I've never stayed there but the price was good and it looked clean. This will be my sons first Gathering so it should be a great experience for us.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of... any recommended hotels in the area? I've never been to Killington.

There is always the Killington Grand by Snowshed. Not really all that grand, but...
North Star Lodge on the access road is very decent.
If the Skyeship gondola is running, Cedarbrook at the junction of Rt. 100 & Rt. 4 is very convenient.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There will likely be plenty of space at the ski club lodge that I belong to. It's not for everyone as it is coed rooms with bunk beds, but it's about 25 minutes to Killington and 40 to Sugarbush. There are separate bathrooms for men and women with 4 showers in each, a large kitchen with 2 fridges, freezers, ovens, stoves, microwaves, and dishwashers. Also a large common room with a nice fireplace. Cost for non-members with a guest is $40.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of... any recommended hotels in the area? I've never been to Killington.
As @Phelmut mentioned, the Central Jersey Ski Club Lodge. We both belong to the Central Jersey Ski Club which has a lodge about 25 min from Killington. $40 a night for guests. (40 bunk beds) Not a 4 star hotel, but a clean bed, bath, and kitchen. I've been a member for 5 years, and it is a great pace to stay. Check the CJSC out: http://www.centraljerseyskiclub.com

If anyone is interested, let us know, and we can help arrange your stay. If anyone is interested in Membership, it's $75 a year and $35 a night, or a Full Lode Membership is $525, which gets you 25 nights a year, then only $10 a night after that... You just can't beat that!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We will visit Saddleback in 2023, so I will be temporarily handing off the Gathermeister reins to @Tony S at the conclusion of the Killington event.

There's a Killington stoke thread here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2021-2022-killington-ski-resort-conditions-meetups.24998/ where GIS has been posting condition reports, etc.

I suppose stoke is conceivable.

I have no doubt that I will have a great time at Killington and will learn a lot there. I'm really looking forward to the new experience and terrain challenge, in fact. However I do not promise that I will be able to hold back entirely on trash talk. I am from a sibling state, so this is to be expected.

Note: New Hampshire is not a sibling state. It is a freakish pariah.

And yes, the question about lodging is a good one, because I have no clue. (I DID almost die in front of the Long Trail Inn at - roughly - the corner of Rt. 4 and the KT access road, in the summer of 1981. Draft Guinness was a high class novelty and special attraction in New England back then. An acquaintance was giving me and two others a ride back to camp in Plymouth. We were t-boned by another car. Only the fact that his car was a Saab saved me, I think. Probably won't stay there. Memories.)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My current project is at Dartmouth College and there are a fair number of NH residents on the construction crew. It took some time getting used to them.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The location poll closed today; Killington won by a 29-20 margin over Saddleback, so this year's Gathering will be at Killington from April 1st through 3rd.

Roll call thread is here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2022-new-england-gathering-roll-call.25175/

@Guy in Shorts has volunteered to show off his home mountain; if others know their way around Killington and want to volunteer as guides, please let me know.

I'll edit this post with meetup locations, times, etc. once those details are finalized. In the meantime, mark your calendars and feel free to post stoke, lodging, lift tickets, general gathering banter, etc. here.

Let the stoke begin!

View attachment 149154
I can certainly be an apprentice guide with @Guy in Shorts. I have been skiing at Killington since the early 80’s.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm dangerous as a guide. I think I know it well because I skied it very frequently for 10 years.

Unfortunately those years were betwen 1982 and 1992.
So my knowledge might be somewhat dated.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I'm dangerous as a guide. I think I know it well because I skied it very frequently for 10 years.

I thought you were going to say your guiding services are “dangerous” because you and @James are the founding members of the “Ministry of Bad Ideas”. ;)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My current project is at Dartmouth College and there are a fair number of NH residents on the construction crew. It took some time getting used to them.
See we were driving through and saw the license plates...and not knowing much thought, that's incongruous... So there IS fire where I saw smoke! :roflmao:
Dartmouth / Hanover is an independent city-state enclave like Vatican City or Monaco. It doesn't count as New Hampshire.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

It's like driving across the US with an atlas from 1988. Close enough but yeah, you'll be lost.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I do not promise that I will be able to hold back entirely on trash talk. I am from a sibling state, so this is to be expected.

For those of you who do not know Tony, he will be the one standing atop Outer Limits yelling "This is a bump run? A double black? The bunny hill at Saddleback is gnarlier than this !"

:snowball:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those of you who do not know Tony, he will be the one standing atop Outer Limits yelling "This is a bump run? A double black? The bunny hill at Saddleback is gnarlier than this !"

:snowball:
Immediately followed by sliding down the whole run on my butt, no doubt.