• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

James

Out There
Instructor
will have a great time at Killington and will learn a lot there.
Curious as to what you think you’ll learn there?

Outer Limits can be very good or very bad. Sometimes it has ice in weird geometry that is only called moguls out of politeness.
There’s the rocks on the 1/3 of the trail skier’s right. They’ll either be covered or exposed.
Very exposed-
A17FB5DD-4BAA-4C87-9808-85A23E599791.jpeg
April 11, 2021. Trail to the right - never seen so many mud skiers. I think 1 more day would’ve turned me into a mud skier. Walking down is hard.

A53CB81A-FA4A-4489-B4E2-40429C054687.jpeg
Base of Superstar headwall. Always interesting. Duck for low flying clouds.

265A186D-D97C-4330-868F-747CE5C8D448.jpeg
Late spring puddle near K-1 lodge.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious as to what you think you’ll learn there?
Well I don't know the mountain at all, so I'm thinking it will be fun to encounter new terrain that I like.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've not posted in the roll call yet as I'm 100 % sure about Saturday and Sunday, but 84.2 % sure I'll be there for Friday. Still a work in progress to pin down my brother and his travel plans post-wedding (my daughter on March 26). My wife will be there on Saturday and Sunday. Like other Killington skiers, we'll try to show the Gathering a good time. As Gathermeister Kevin knows, I've volunteered to help guide the intermediates around, but can't promise we won't divert to the occasional "bad idea"!

As for lodging, North Star Lodge and Mountain Sports Inn were recently recommended on the Killington FB group my wife follows. There are several condo developments (Pinnacle, Mountain Green, Trail Creek, Whiffletree, Edgemont, Fall Line, High Ridge) on East Mountain Road, some have ski home trails if winter hangs on till early April (check the trail map). The shuttle buses only runs on weekends. This works for a larger group staying together. We like High Ridge, our trail is just across the road at the entrance behind the blue sign.
IMG_20191205_074908158.jpg

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See we were driving through and saw the license plates...and not knowing much thought, that's incongruous... So there IS fire where I saw smoke! :roflmao:

Dartmouth / Hanover is an independent city-state enclave like Vatican City or Monaco. It doesn't count as New Hampshire.

Yup but you have to run the gauntlet to get to the enclave.

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought we were all going in one huge group?
This is generally how they start-
Do it a few times and you’re down to 2 covid gondolas.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf, what was that hotel you stayed at way down the access road?
It was the Hillside Inn. Completely lacking interest or character, but comfy, clean, and practical. I've been there a couple of times. When I go to VT, I usually go on booking.com and search by price. Booking.com often had prices for the next weekend that were lower than going direct to the hotel -- guessing it was demand management in action. I've stayed other places that were nice, some that were strange, but all were acceptable. [Pre-pandemic experience, so who knows....]

Lets see, where else can I remember. I've also stayed at NorthStar -- more interesting, in fact a bit weird... Turn of River Lodge with 6 of us in a bunk room, but that was 30+ years ago. The plain old strip motel on Rt 4 that does look like Bates Motel. Mountain Meadows right next to the XC track on the lake. The inn over the Basin Ski shops before they turned them into condos. (I had a share in a seasonal rental there one year -- long enough ago that they've renovated again since then.) I was in a ski house 3 years, different spots each year.

We used to go to the bar at the Killingon VIllage Inn before they built the Grist Mill and the trendy bar scene moved there. The Grist Mill is now the Foundry and has become profoundly uncool, of course.

So TL;DR, I say just roll the dice and stay somewhere.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First time I skied with Epic skiers was at Killington, April 1, 200? "Gapril Fools" with Phil and Tricia and Paul and... Spring bumping! OL kicked my ass that day. Iriponsnow did. We wore retro gear. I seem to remember Phil on The Ski? I rocked blue jeans and an 80's anorak and my 20 year old Lange TII's.

Maybe we should do a retro day for some 4/1 fun. Somewhere, Someplace, from that day, I have a pic of Phil and Trish that seems to reveal their strong attraction for one another. Fateful trip that.

Last edited:

Sponsor