• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
, I've volunteered to help guide the intermediates around, but can't promise we won't divert to the occasional "bad idea"!

Ok, I can help with this. I volunteer to warn said intermediates (my peeps!) at the onset of any bad idea. I don’t always know my way around, but I am quite familiar to being led into danger. At Killington.

James

Out There
Instructor
It was the Hillside Inn. Completely lacking interest or character, but comfy, clean, and practical. I've been there a couple of times.
I once stayed at the Hideaway Inn in Waitsfield with a friend for an event at Sugarbush. We got the room above the bar, bath is shared with another room. The floor is the ceiling of the bar, and it’s 3/4 inch planks with gaps. So you can hear everything. Even see if you want to lie on the floor. Good thing it was a weekday, weekend would be near intolerable.
But breakfast there is really good.

We used the plug outside by the fountain to wax skis. Since it was basically just a wooden barrel, you could lay the ski across it and wax.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Outer Limits can be very good or very bad. Sometimes it has ice in weird geometry that is only called moguls out of politeness.
Those conditions are affectionately known as frozen mogular

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those conditions are affectionately known as frozen mogular
I think the worst conditions are when it is a sheet of (near) ice with small and sparse bumps. Aim for a bumper, brake hard for a few milliseconds, aim for the next one, etc.... Real moguls, even rock hard, are better than that.

But sometimes Outer Limits is very good: Here's a shot from April 2015: Yummy.

20150419_124410.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's a question about driving up and down Rte. 100 during winter time, especially if there's a storm. How well and frequently does VT plow Rte 100? Have you ever encountered it when it was not being plowed with typical VT diligence?

There could be a storm during the NE Gathering. Would it be OK to drive Rte 100 without snowtires?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here's a question about driving up and down Rte. 100 during winter time, especially if there's a storm. How well and frequently does VT plow Rte 100? Have you ever encountered it when it was not being plowed with typical VT diligence?

There could be a storm during the NE Gathering. Would it be OK to drive Rte 100 without snowtires?
It depends how bad the weather is. I wouldn't do it with summer tires but if you've got decent all seasons, AWD/4wd and winter driving skills you should be OK. You might annoy some of the better prepared if they got stuck behind you though. ;)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

We had passes to Killington for 9 seasons. Our place is in South Londonderry. From NYC, we usually take I95 => I-91 => Rt 30 => Rt 100.
Both Rt 30 & RT 100 are very well maintained. Probably the worst section is Rt 100 between Weston and Ludlow. It's not bad but not as clean as the other sections of Rt 100.
Front wheel drives with all season tire should be no issues. Done it for years before the AWD SUVs.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Guy in Shorts has volunteered to show off his home mountain; if others know their way around Killington and want to volunteer as guides, please let me know.
As a Killington condo owner who first skied the Beast in 1970, I think I know K pretty well. I would be happy to help out as a guide for a group of intermediate and advanced skiers. I'll let GIS take the crazies into the double black trees. Also willing to lead a group at Pico if there is interest (and assuming it is still open at that point).

Note I will up for the midweeks before and after the Gathering weekend if anyone is coming early or staying late.

James

Out There
Instructor
Presumably the bridge in Plymouth will be finished soon. Right now you have to detour to 100A, Plymouth>Bridgewater>Killington.

Rte 100 is probably better than I-89 in a snowstorm. That’s a weird one, I’ve never seen so many work trucks off the road stuck down in the middle between lanes as on 89 to Stowe.
Worse is the sudden snow squalls that blow in a small area leaving 1 1/2 - 2inches of snow. So you go from dry to suddenly covered. Seen it on 89 and 91.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Worse is the sudden snow squalls that blow in a small area leaving 1 1/2 - 2inches of snow. So you go from dry to suddenly covered. Seen it on 89 and 91.
89 between Bethel and Montpelier is notorious for this. (I used to drive frequently between Burlington and Boston.)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

If you need snow tires and you didn't put them on then you may have a problem. 100 is not that hilly as I recall. I suggest bringing a few passengers so they can push you out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you ever encountered it when it was not being plowed with typical VT diligence?
Rte 100 runs the whole state north-south. What section are we talking? Gets very local and time sensitive. If you have the ability to wait till actions are taken, you should be ok. Different areas seem to have different levels of salt use.

You can be somewhere at the wrong (or fun) time and have fresh tracks, and 15min later they’ve plowed. Like the pass from Manchester-Bromley. Not a great pass for no snowtires in a storm, but plowing is usually very good.

Rte 100 Weston -Ludlow over Terrible Mt can be pretty bad. It’s aptly named. You can go around it though, 155 - 103.

Granville gulch going to Sugarbush can get interesting. I’ve seen a few times where the temp in there is 10F colder. Maybe that’s where all the ghosts are.
Early season or late plowing can be spottier, or in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, I can help with this. I volunteer to warn said intermediates (my peeps!) at the onset of any bad idea. I don’t always know my way around, but I am quite familiar to being led into danger. At Killington.
In April with softer snow, some difficult trails became more friendly. It's an audible day-to-day.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
First time I skied with Epic skiers was at Killington, April 1, 200? "Gapril Fools" with Phil and Tricia and Paul and... Spring bumping! OL kicked my ass that day. Iriponsnow did. We wore retro gear. I seem to remember Phil on The Ski? I rocked blue jeans and an 80's anorak and my 20 year old Lange TII's.
I remember Crank's yellow boots also my $!## skiing. Beautiful day and OL was pretty good.

Paul

Sponsor

Staff online