• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering, Killington Edition. April 1st through 3rd

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a Killington condo owner who first skied the Beast in 1970, I think I know K pretty well. I would be happy to help out as a guide for a group of intermediate and advanced skiers. I'll let GIS take the crazies into the double black trees. Also willing to lead a group at Pico if there is interest (and assuming it is still open at that point).

Note I will up for the midweeks before and after the Gathering weekend if anyone is coming early or staying late.
Depending on the weather this coming Spring, the trees could be toast by then, however, I will be available as a “sweeper for the trees” to make sure everyone gets out ok

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My fuzzy recollection is that Route 100 comes into the Killington area near the base of the Skyeship gondola? And then you have to get up Killington Pass to reach the main base area?

Coming from Rutland would also involve getting over Killington Pass, albeit from the other direction.

Point being that route 100 isn’t necessarily the concern if you’re trying to reach Killington without snow tires. All that said- I made it with all seasons in some decent storms more than once. Snow tires definitely make it less stressful though!

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My fuzzy recollection is that Route 100 comes into the Killington area near the base of the Skyeship gondola? And then you have to get up Killington Pass to reach the main base area?

Coming from Rutland would also involve getting over Killington Pass, albeit from the other direction.

Point being that route 100 isn’t necessarily the concern if you’re trying to reach Killington without snow tires. All that said- I made it with all seasons in some decent storms more than once. Snow tires definitely make it less stressful though!
A little clarification. Rte 100 from Plymouth comes into Rte 4 at Bridgewater Corners. Rte 4 is well maintained and winds along the river as it approaches the Killington flats (yes the road gets very flat) going past the Gondola along Rte. 4. The left turn up the Killington access road is before the Sherburne Pass. Driving from Rutland, one would go over the pass and down the other side before making the turn for the access road. The access road while well maintained can become treacherous at a moments notice due to the elevation change that occurs along the access road. I remember many drives where there was rain/sleet along route 4 only to have it turn to full on snow within 200 feet of making the left turn onto the access road. I would be more concerned about all season tires on the access road

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Not skiing out of Bear Mountain? Why go with the crowds? Head to Bear! Although that road is hairy, too, what with the steep switchback. Watch out for cars without snow tires!

(Not that I would dream of stepping on long tradition.)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We always used Skyeship gondola when it is opened. Save 9 miles to K1 base. Long slow 9 miles.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I loved the Sunrise lodge entry. You could always park near the lift. Long gone now.. Hmmm... I wonder if there's a connection...:ogcool:

James

Out There
Instructor
I loved the Sunrise lodge entry. You could always park near the lift. Long gone now.. Hmmm... I wonder if there's a connection...:ogcool:
Back then you could’ve stopped st Round Top.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington is a resort I have been to a number of times over many years but never regularly enough to really know it or have a routine. Have started from main area most but have alos done Skyeship a few times and Bear a few times.

I can parse the mountain and find my way around but definitely not guide material.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That lodge is now a snowmobile tours shop. The Sunrise triple still runs on the sleepy side of the mountain to service a big condo and housing development, as well as the Solitude backcountry trail, but it stops about a third of the way down to Route 100. I have no "bad" idea if you could skin up to the lift.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Hi! I joined @Phelmut 's ski club. It's a bargain - $75 membership, then $30/night at the lodge. If you ski in the area, it looks like a great choice.

I like skiing at Okemo and Killington, but I no longer have a house in Vermont. I can't afford too many nights in another sort of lodging. Thanks, @Phelmut !

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious. What's the largest number of people who have attended a NE Gathering?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious. What's the largest number of people who have attended a NE Gathering?
If you go back ten years or more to Epic days, not sure. In recent memory there may have been as many as above over the course of the or four days, but never on one day, I think. @KevinF can say better. More typically I'd say it's been more like 5 - 10 on a day. Fewer in poor weather.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you go back ten years or more to Epic days, not sure. In recent memory there may have been as many as above over the course of the or four days, but never on one day, I think. @KevinF can say better. More typically I'd say it's been more like 5 - 10 on a day. Fewer in poor weather.

Thanks, Tony. This one could be huge in comparison if the roll call holds and the weather is good.

James

Out There
Instructor
The last one on Fri at Mad River was pretty big. 12? Maybe more. Hard to tell the way dispersion and Brownian motion of cats happens. Then some of us left early go go to Dodge Boots. Attendance fell drastically as fog came to Sugarbush and rain to Stowe.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Historically, the Mad River Glen day has been the most popular. We've hit teens there a few times -- 15 or so attendees?

We had a pretty big day at Sugarbush one time as well where we had splintered groups all over the mountain.

But this year's Killington event is shaping up to dwarf any NEG we've had before.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Starting with this post, several posts were moved to this thread from the roll call thread.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting with this post, several posts were moved to this thread from the roll call thread.
Thanks!

Sponsor