• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering Trip Report

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Just trying to make it simple for you all. As I've explained to a few people, I put all of about 3 seconds into choosing my original user name, way back in the Epic Ski days. As you can see, I managed to take even less time for the new one.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, I'm missing out on all the fun on this bluebird Saturday at Killington. Two things happened. I sprained my wrist in a little fall onto a pole grip on Thursday in the sticky glop at Sugarbush with @Tony S. and LakesPapa from EpicSki. To top that injury off, after getting back from the hospital where I had the xrays done (no broken bones showing), I immediately came down with either 1) food poisoning, 2) stomach virus, or 3) Covid variant attacking the gut. Two days of intestinal yuk.

Oh well.... I'm sitting this one out, cautiously. I hate being cautious. I'm stabilizing the wrist to avoid further damage, and doing my civic duty for NEGatheringers who shouldn't be exposed to my infection.

It's beautiful out my window so I'm assuming it's great skiing up on the slopes. Grab some extra fun for me.

View attachment 165295
While it takes a lot to get me to a doctor, that sort of injury would have me making an appointment with a hand surgeon. A ski pole injury like that can easily tear the very fine ligaments in the wrist, if that happens the window of opportunity for a good repair is measured in weeks. I know a youngish guy who ended up with permanently limited wrist movement from a very minor ski pole fall like that (he wasn't even skiing at the time, just standing and slipped slightly). Did not seem like a big deal at the time but after a couple of months with still niggling issues he had it looked at, unfortunately the delay meant an inferior surgical outcome. They are pretty good at identifying possible tears just by manipulating the wrist, does not necessarilly mean an MRI.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A relatively small herd of Skitalkers making their way down Ramshead. This was nothing compared to the wildebeest impressions we were doing on Saturday.
Wildebeest :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
While it takes a lot to get me to a doctor, that sort of injury would have me making an appointment with a hand surgeon. A ski pole injury like that can easily tear the very fine ligaments in the wrist, if that happens the window of opportunity for a good repair is measured in weeks. I know a youngish guy who ended up with permanently limited wrist movement from a very minor ski pole fall like that (he wasn't even skiing at the time, just standing and slipped slightly). Did not seem like a big deal at the time but after a couple of months with still niggling issues he had it looked at, unfortunately the delay meant an inferior surgical outcome. They are pretty good at identifying possible tears just by manipulating the wrist, does not necessarilly mean an MRI.
Thanks. The ER doctor told me much the same thing. My appt is on Tuesday. I'll be seeing the PA for a hand surgeon after a second Xray. This was the best I could get within the appointed window of time.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. The ER doctor told me much the same thing. My appt is on Tuesday. I'll be seeing the PA for a hand surgeon after a second Xray. This was the best I could get within the appointed window of time.
Maybe you can get one of those LEKI pole grip interface loops built into your hand!

Sponsor

Staff online