• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering Trip Report

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m certainly not in the know, but I recall reading that would be improved. But I’m not sure how they make it downhill in both directions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those in the know: When the old lodge is gone will it be easier to get from the bottom of Superstar to the gondola base by leaving a less uphill path? Yes, skating is great practice and good for the soul and glutes, but can get tedious at times when the snow is slow and slushy.....................just a minor complaint. :)
No info, but I'll bet there will be a giant deck in the way.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I’m certainly not in the know, but I recall reading that would be improved. But I’m not sure how they make it downhill in both directions.

More Killington tunnels at work? ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
No info, but I'll bet there will be a giant deck in the way.
Even if they have the deck, the new one is further towards the road so it should still be a shorter path.
Solution: rope tow up bottom of Superstar mound, then launch down towards gondola skiing around the bodies.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think I'll do a trip report for this one given this thread is a good report... but here's a bunch of pictures...

Friday

@KevinF and @Scruffy heading into the gloom
View attachment 165528

@Johnny V. , @Tony S, @KevinF, and @Scruffy with some typical late season NE snow surfaces after buckets of rain the day before
View attachment 165529

@mister moose, @PinnacleJim, @KevinF, @Marker, @Scruffy
View attachment 165530

This was an open run all weekend (Wildfire)
View attachment 165531

@mister moose, @KevinF, @Tony S, some guy in red, @Johnny V., Mrs. Johnny V., @PinnacleJim, @Marker
View attachment 165532

@mister moose and @Marker looking down lower East Fall
View attachment 165533

Lunch at the Peak Lodge
View attachment 165534

View down Superstar later in the day with some wet snow falling
View attachment 165535

Me and @Marker getting a bit wet in the falling snow
View attachment 165536

Saturday

Beautiful morning on Saturday... view from around the bottom of Superstar
View attachment 165537

Shot of how tall the glacier is right now on Superstar
View attachment 165538

It was really windy Saturday morning, necessitating covering up from stinging blowing snow and wind
View attachment 165539

View from the top of Superstar
View attachment 165540

@Scruffy on Superstar
View attachment 165541

@SKI-3PO on Superstar
View attachment 165542

@Phelmut off the Snowden bubble somewhere
View attachment 165543

@TheArchitect at the top of a few bumps off Bunny Buster...
View attachment 165544

... and in the bumps with @Phelmut up the hill to the left
View attachment 165545

Interesting views from the top of other ski mountains... I think this is Stratton and Mount Snow
View attachment 165546

View from the top
View attachment 165547

View from the top
View attachment 165548

We went over to Bear briefly where there was a good turnout for the mogul competition
View attachment 165549

I skied these all weekend... worked well in the very mixed conditions
View attachment 165550

Saturday tailgate early
View attachment 165551

Dinner Saturday night at The Garlic..
View attachment 165527

Sunday

The sun trying to come out on Sunday
View attachment 165552

Mrs. @Marker, @Johnny V., and @Tony S at the top of Superstar
View attachment 165553

@James coming out of some bumps
View attachment 165554

Panic Button/Needles Eye... I think there are a bunch of SkiTalkers in there somewhere
View attachment 165555

@Tony S, @James, and others coming down Highline
View attachment 165556

EDIT... NOT @James
View attachment 165557

@ScottB, @Dean and others
View attachment 165558

Thanks especially to @KevinF and @Guy in Shorts for the organizing and hospitality. And thanks to everyone I got to ski with and hang out with... it was a great weekend!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...endless metal steps...

I didn't realize 12 steps was considered endless (OK, maybe it was more like 15)... I guess I need to recalibrate. :ogbiggrin:

Now the ramp... that thing is endless.

It was also a good place to leave a backpack if you felt like taking a load off for a run. :duck:

You know... I skied the skier's right side the first time down, and skier's left the second time down, and thought left was much better. But maybe it was because I didn't have my backpack on for the second run. :huh::ogcool:ogsmile

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I had a dollar for every story you were involved in at the NEG, I could’ve bought a lunch entree, a coffee, and dessert at the Peak Lodge.

I tell ya, they are all lying. There is no way in hell a short fat old guy like me can offended so many. I betcha I don't even know some of them. :nono:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Loved having the NE Gathering 2022 at the place I call home. Killington occupies a special place in my heart and I enjoy sharing this great mountain with all that come. Would have loved to showcase the resort after a stellar winter snowpack but this was not the year. Fun skiing with such an enjoyable group. Let's do this again next year.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
The free heeler skiing with us today is Tele Rich. I spend most days with a front row seat to some the of the most amazing turns on the mountain. He skis 100 plus days a winter season then hikes 100 plus days in the warm weather. He also shows up to the mountain a hour early each day and saves my parking spot.
He also has the best blue cheese on any given sunny afternoon in Bay 1.
It was another great day with friends old and new. And I got last chair on Superstar.
Last chair will be sometime after Memorial Day. See you then.
That looks like Rodger, the bird man. He skis in road kill ski atire. I know him from Jiminy peak.
Yes. Bigger than Marker. Hails from Stockbridge. Has a facebook page.
That’s not nearly as egregious as the top lodge though, where there’s no short ski path to ski down there from the gondola exit. Are we at a hiking resort??

Instead, you’re forced to walk down those endless metal steps that go up and then down carrying your skis. Turn the skis the wrong way and the tails get stuck in the metal grating. At best it’s like climbing around some oil facility in Alaska. When it’s cold and the wind is blowing snow horizontally, now you’re Edmund Hillary on Everest with some balky oxygen unit clinging to a moth eaten rope and any second you could topple.
If you decide to use the ramps, there’s so many switchbacks you’ll pass out from vertigo.

Much easier to have a groomer width trail to ski down. Put skis on, ski down, take them off. That’s what we do when skiing.
If you come on a good snow year, you ski right to the (back) door. This year... not so much.
Peak 11 16 18.jpg
This is the corner of the Peak Lodge 11/16/18, headed down uppermost Downdraft. Glorious skiing that day.
For those in the know: When the old lodge is gone will it be easier to get from the bottom of Superstar to the gondola base by leaving a less uphill path?
The new lodge will end well downhill of the old lodge. However, as of the last plans that were published, the new deck will go out to within 5 feet of where the NW corner of the old lodge is/was. So the schlep savings will be approximately the width of the old deck. Not a lot. They could do far more benefit by regrading the hump where you go from that corner of the lodge to the waffle shack, and take all the vertical out so it is level each way.

SkiMcP

At the junction of 89 & 93
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just want to echo the thanks to @Guy in Shorts, @KevinF and anyone else involved in planning and hosting. I had a blast trying to keep name/screen name/jacket-helmet combos straight, the company was great, and the skiing wasn’t too bad either. Sorry I was only able to join in for a day but happy to see I made a few pictures and I’m already looking forward to the next NEG…

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wanted to make sure nobody else skipped over Zircon's great trip report, as I almost did (you need to click on the Spoiler alert). Bostedo - looks like you have a rival in the making...
Thanks for pointing it out! I missed it the first time!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
MISTER MOOSE

"Yes. Bigger than Marker. Hails from Stockbridge. Has a facebook page."

Rodger skied everyday at Jiminy for years. He would show up wearing one red boot and one blue boot - - or a ski blade and a FIS downhil ski. He had a bit of a falling out with the mountain, but he was always good to me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wanted to make sure nobody else skipped over Zircon's great trip report, as I almost did (you need to click on the Spoiler alert). Bostedo - looks like you have a rival in the making...
Alan has a new username. We can use his real name now! :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online