• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Nordica Navigator 85

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: A few years ago, Nordica released a ski early under its “Proto Project,” which gets out a key model to influencers in order to create some buzz. It continued the program this year with the all-new Navigator 85. We have added the Navigator to our test fleet; it started out in Tahoe and then some time with our Colorado testers, who added their comments to the Long-Term Review thread.

Now, what is a Navigator? Well, Nordica took previous design elements that have worked well -- the NRGy series' bridge construction, the Enforcer's forebody, and the Dobermann's tail -- to create a really nice all-mountain-biased frontside collection.

Insider tip: Nordica went aggressive with the price points here, at $50 to $100 less than the competition.​

UGASkiDawg: The Navigator 85 is an improvement on the old NRGy, but still not as good as the Enforcer anywhere except on piste; even there, I didn’t find it to be a lot better than the Enforcer 88 or even the 94. It is very user-friendly, content to let you just ride it without thinking too much, but I find the same to be true of the Enforcers, so once again, why?

Insider tip: Ski it back to back with the Enforcer 88 and then make your choice.​

Who is it for?
Those who like to take it easy and not be told how to ski by the ski. Someone who wants a slightly less demanding and more piste-oriented version of the Enforcer 93.
Who is it not for?
These are deceptively easy, so you need to get on them (but you don’t have to). If you are looking for a hard-charging machine, this ain't it.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 172, 179, 186
Dimensions
124-85-109
Radius
16.5m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
Last edited by a moderator:

trepet12

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask here. I have demoed these skis in the past along with some other skis and liked them the most. Now I would like to buy a pair, but all I can find is the last two pairs of 2019 model that cost about the same: one flat and one system with FREE11FDT bindings. I can't find any information (stand height, weight) about these bindings. Are these Marker bindings? Are they similar to the FDT TPX 12? Would they be suitable for a mid-level skier weighing 150 lbs? I don't remember what the bindings were on the skis I was demonstrating.

If I buy the flat version, I will probably take the Tyrolia Attack 13. The total package will be expensive but I guess it might be worth. Just one last question: how much room do Attacks have for the BSL adjustments? Is it 32mm? So should be enough for one size or same size but another boot adjustment, isn't it? Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@trepet12, The Marker 11 FTD is a fine binding and the stack height isn't too bad, just under 30mm but it is a negative delta, meaning the toe is slightly higher than the heel. But if you demoed the ski with a Marker and liked it, you should be good.

The 30-ish mm of the Attack adjustment will cover your for almost 3 boot sizes.

trepet12

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@trepet12, The Marker 11 FTD is a fine binding and the stack height isn't too bad, just under 30mm but it is a negative delta, meaning the toe is slightly higher than the heel. But if you demoed the ski with a Marker and liked it, you should be good.

The 30-ish mm of the Attack adjustment will cover your for almost 3 boot sizes.
Thanks!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Navigators are on the website now. Maybe they were off temporarily since they changed the construction and graphics a bit

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Doe anyone have a feel for any difference the "CA" construction makes vs the previous years? (as far as how they ski...)

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have seen the Nordica Navigators at low prices at shops and seem to be a great deal. They look like a thinner Enforcer with a similar Enforcer tip but a square tail. The Nordica Enforcer 88's is what I got as my general all round skis as I have plenty of Race GS skis for hardpack and wanted a beefier ski. Either way I think Nordicas are a good deal, pretty versatile and have really proven themselves the last few years. Like most skis, unless the construction is different I doubt they have changed too much year to year.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally after 1-1/2 years I got out on my Navigators...added my impressions to the long term reveiw thread. Great skis!!!

Big_Al

Booting up
Skier
If I understand the history of this model correctly, the Navigator used to have metal, a thin sheet of titanal. However, the latest model (2022 Navigator 85 CA) has swapped out the metal for carbon.

Was this to soften the ski and make it more accessible to intermediates? Distinguish it from the Enforcer line?

The big question is how does the change from metal to carbon affect the skis performance? Has it decreased the torsional rigidity and thus edge hold? Has it turned a versatile ski that could be used by experts into more of an intermediate ski?

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I understand the history of this model correctly, the Navigator used to have metal, a thin sheet of titanal. However, the latest model (2022 Navigator 85 CA) has swapped out the metal for carbon.

Was this to soften the ski and make it more accessible to intermediates? Distinguish it from the Enforcer line?

The big question is how does the change from metal to carbon affect the skis performance? Has it decreased the torsional rigidity and thus edge hold? Has it turned a versatile ski that could be used by experts into more of an intermediate ski?

That very question has been discussed, but I'm not sure I've seen any comments from one who has skied both versions.

A moot issue perhaps as the Navigator series is being retired.

A couple other threads on the topic:
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/long-term-review-2018-nordica-navigator-85.3947/
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2020-nordica-navigator-85-vs-navigator-85-ca.20354/

Sponsor